1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Super Bowl XLVII - 49ers vs. Ravens Game Thread..

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Sarge, Feb 3, 2013.

1. crazytown41

crazytown41 Well-Known Member

1,111 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    Uhhh I'll assume you didn't watch the game and just looked at the sports ticker :confused:
  2. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,266 Messages
    1,228 Likes Received
    Wouldn't the flag have carried over onto the kickoff?

Kicking from the 10 instead of the 20?
  3. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,494 Messages
    284 Likes Received
    The Ravens are a great organization and team, always thought his success is a byproduct of that.

But this postseason he played perfect football and personally etched his name in history because of that.
  4. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,152 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    Yea, he just put together an all time great postseason run.

11 TDs (NFL postseason record), 0 INTs, 117.2 QB rating.

Then diced up the NFL's best defense in the biggest game of the year.

That's big time
  5. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

1,947 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    It was very similar to the play earlier in the game when Ray Rice caught the ball, quickly turned upfield and was stripped. They called that one a fumble and I think Crabtree fumbled as well. He took 2 steps and turned upfield right before getting hit. I have seen that play penalized before and it was a close call either way.
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

26,562 Messages
    2,737 Likes Received
    Here's an interesting frame by frame breakdown of that play. Looks more like OPI, to me.
  7. Tezz

Tezz Member

342 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    If Crabtree didn't try to fight through the contact and sold the call I felt like he would've gotten it or if the pass was a little closer. From image 5 Smith was going straight for a hug and he had it on Crabtree until the end of the play. Crabtree wasn't going to even have a shot at moving if he didn't push off since he was bear hugged. Crabtree's arms were never fully extended though which I think is the main indicator where you would see an offensive PI. We shall disagree on this I stand by my statement that I doubt you will ever see offensive pass interference in that instance and a defensive flag would be thrown on most occasions especially since the game is geared for receivers.

If the Cowboys were part of that no call at the end of the game you better believe there would be like 50 threads here complaining and it would be valid. This could be applied to any team Ravens included.
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

26,562 Messages
    2,737 Likes Received
    I agree you'd never call OPI on that one. I disagree that DPI would usually get called. Not with the defender looking for the ball and his head getting bent backward by the pushoff.

I'll also agree that, if this were on the Cowboys, some of our fans would be howling. But we've still got fans howling about 'icing our own kicker', so, there's that.
  9. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,266 Messages
    1,228 Likes Received
    There's a key difference with the play with Rice in that Rice was clearly able to defend himself. He was stiff-arming the guy. On top of that, the spin move he did is a move that is common to the game. He attempted 2 moves to ward off the impending contact.

Crabtree did not. He was not in a position to ward off the contact at all. Not that it makes a difference in the rule but I'm not sure how you can call that two steps. His first foot was nearly on the ground when he caught it. The aspect that matters, as you said in your initial reply, is the ability to defend himself. He didn't have enough time to perform an act that is common to the game and didn't even complete two full strides. Looking up field after reaching back for a pass doesn't cut it. If it was, there essentially would never be a time a player is defenseless because nearly every player starts to look upfield after catching the ball. It's the ability to avoid contact or ward off the impending hit that is the key and Crabtree clearly couldn't do it.