1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

super massive black hole ejected from its own galaxy

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by rkell87, Jun 5, 2012.

1. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexkna...lack-hole-was-ejected-out-of-its-home-galaxy/

The Chandra X-Ray Observatory announced that’s it has observed something unprcedented: a supermassive black hole being ejected from its own galaxy at speeds of millions of miles per hour. The evidence suggests that the ejection was caused when the black hole collided with the supermassive black hole of another galaxy, producing an immense recoil force.

“It’s hard to believe that a supermassive black hole weighing millions of times the mass of the sun could be moved at all, let alone kicked out of a galaxy at enormous speed,” said study leader Francesca Civano in a press release. “But these new data support the idea that gravitational waves — ripples in the fabric of space first predicted by Albert Einstein but never detected directly — can exert an extremely powerful force.”

The ejection of the black hole actually took place about 4 billion years ago, as astronomers observe the radiation from galaxy CID-42, which is 4 billion light years from Earth. Astronomers reviewing data from the Hubble Telescope first noticed something interesting was going on. The visual data was then confirmed by telescopes on the ground.

“The previous data told us that there was something special going on, but we couldn’t tell if there were two black holes or just one,” said study co-author Martin Elvis. “We needed new X-ray data to separate the sources.”
  2. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
  3. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So all black holes are NOT treated with equal respect? Apparently the galaxies have their way of dealing with inferiors too.

Black hole, "You Are The Weakest Link — Goodbye!"
  4. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,186 Messages
    2,027 Likes Received
    Just goes to show you. don't matter how big you are, there is always somebody bigger in the neighborhood.

:laugh2:
  5. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Yeah, funny black holes aren't really holes in the sense they cannot be moved. Funny how right theories about these things are, only to be discovered and proved to be true later on. Astrophysics/Astronomy has to be the coolest science out there, imo. Too bad we've given up on it.
  6. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,034 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    That is unprecedented. You would think that the more massive black hole would just swallow up the smaller black hole like it does everything else.
  7. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,316 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    What is funny about how much force it would take to eject something that is super massive is the weakest of the four fundamental forces. (Gravity, Electromagnetism, Weak Nuclear Force, and Strong Nuclear Force) It's the weakest by a large margin too.

Even though it's the weakest force, it's also the dominant of the four forces in the universe.
  8. Sam I Am

31,316 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    Kinetic energy is what causes it to eject. As it falls towards the larger blackhole, it's picking up speed not only from the bigger blackholes pull, but it's own pull draws it closer even faster picking up a lot of speed. If its tajectory is off target by a wide enough margin and it has generated enough kinetic energy, instead of falling in, it will end up being slingshot away.

We (well, NASA) has actually used gravitation assist (slingshot effect) to get space probes to go faster as they head into deep space.

You can read about it here.
  9. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,566 Messages
    2,947 Likes Received
    Doesn't this kind of turn black hole theory on it's head?
  10. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Basic fundamentals of Newton's laws.

That link does not work for me.
  11. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    No, we already knew black holes were just dense objects (stars in the process of dying) that are collapsing on themselves. They have burned up all of their energy and have begun to die, but they are not holes in the sense you may be thinking. The gravity is so strong from the collapse that even light particles are sucked in. Thus, "black holes".

http://www.cosmos4kids.com/files/stars_blackholes.html
  12. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,211 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    I know it's no where near the most interesting thing about the article, but how long ago the stuff happened that we can see here and now still blows my mind as much as it did in 3rd grade when they told me the first time. 4 billion years.
  13. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,252 Messages
    2,453 Likes Received
    It's also the only fundamental force that's never been observed at the quantum level. Consequently, there's been a concerted effort in the scientific community to deny its existence.
  14. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,971 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    I really have no idea how to even picture what I just read; but that is awesome.
  15. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    ...without success.
  16. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,252 Messages
    2,453 Likes Received
    Can you imagine the implications if gravity didn't exist at the quantum level? It would completely change our fundamental understanding and assumptions about the universe.

We view the universe as having a "bottom-up" construction. This view affects how we interpret and find meaning in the data we gather. If it isn't true, you're forced to rethink everything.
  17. Sam I Am

31,316 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    I bolded a few things that wouldn't exist without gravity in your statement. :laugh2:
  18. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,040 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    Really interesting to see how some of these theoritical points turn out to be just like they were imagined. That guy was a regular Norman Einstein! :D
  19. djmajestik

djmajestik Member

964 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Astronomy is really cool, but quantum physics (or any of the quantum fields) are infinitely more interesting IMO.

Still really cool stuff.
  20. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    For me looking at astronomy versus quantum physics is like looking at a huge wedding cake. Its a beautiful creation, and you enjoy it immensely. However, once you get into what goes into the cake as ingredients, ie particle and quantum physics, then you've got an equally interesting part of science to explore.