1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Take Martez Wilson Mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by UnoDallas, Apr 22, 2011.

1. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    just in case Ryan fell in love with this guys talent

1 #9 Tyron Smith, OT, USC 6-5 #320 - Smith is the prototypical offensive tackles

2 #40 Martez Wilson, ILB, ILL 6-4 #250 - Game film already showed he has the straight-line speed and length to be an excellent fit inside in a 3-4 defense, and that was before his blistering 4.42-second 40-yard dash at the combine. Wilson underwent a lengthy medical evaluation at the combine as teams want to be convinced the neck injury won't be a lingering long-term issue. He wore a neck roll per doctor's orders last season, but said his neck is getting healthier and the roll "probably can go."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1272548

3 #71 Will Rackley, OG, 6-3 #310 - mobility is complemented well by his strength

4 #110 Ian Williams, NT, Notre Dame 6-1 #319 -. Swallows backs with his girth when he closes up a gap, and has the strength to knock down smaller backs with an arm tackle. Chase and hustle are impressive, will help linebackers make stops at the second level and takes deep angles to chase down running backs down the sideline.

5 #143 Cecil Shorts III, WR/KR Mount Union, 6 #200 - Serious speed, and a serious deep threat. Will catch in traffic and will catch across the middle. Will catch what he should

6 #176 David Carter DE/DT UCLA 6-5 #300 – great 5 tech guy

7a #220 Justin Rogers, CB, Richmond 5-11 #180 - He's a shutdown cornerback with big playmaking ability - 40-yard dash times of 4.42 and 4.40 seconds

7b #252 Deunta Williams, FS, North Carolina 6-2 #205 - Understands his role as the last line of defense and generally does a good job with his pursuit angles.

2. Corleone

Corleone Well-Known Member

1,038 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    I really like that mock, I would rather grab a safety in round 2 but Michael Huff is looking like a good candidate for us to sign once we can actually do so. Plus we definitely can use the help rushing the passer.
  3. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    like I said

just in case Ryan fell in love with this guys talent
  4. laythewood28

laythewood28 Active Member

1,575 Messages
    21 Likes Received
  5. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,576 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    I love the mock all but for Martez Wilson. I don't care for him one bit. He doesn't read plays, diagnose plays, or gets through blocks. Wilson is a chase down LB. He reacts late but then uses his speed to tackle from behind. He hardly ever makes takes at the line or behind the line.

Give me Harris at 40 or trade down in the 2nd and a OL or DL.
  6. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,287 Messages
    1,234 Likes Received
    I'm not a big fan of Ian Williams and I don't think he brings anything to the table that Josh Brent doesn't.

I also don't think Williams is remotely in danger of going undrafted because of a broken leg, and while normally I don't comment on peoples mocks suggesting a player will or won't be available where they have them, I think it's a safe bet Williams will go earlier than the 3rd to last pick of the entire draft.

The rest of the draft, I'm definitely a fan off.
  7. LiL Messy

LiL Messy New Member

3 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think Brandon Harris is way too talented at a big need position for Dallas to pass on at 40. He is a really good pick up for the second round
  8. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,093 Messages
    674 Likes Received
    I dont mind Wilson as a prospect, but we have too many holes on this team to take an ILB. Our 1st and 2nd round picks need to be immediate contributors, if not starters. OT, OG, S, DE/DT, and CB are all positions where guys can come in and contribute immediately. We just drafted Sean Lee in the 2nd last year and James is still playing at a pretty high level. No need to take another ILB in the 2nd this year.
  9. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    gotta disagree - James contract is up after this year

so you want to start a Rookie instead of giving a guy a year to learn

and plus I stated

THIS IS JUST IN CASE THAT RYAN FEEL IN LOVE WITH THINS GUY
  10. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I just read a mock that had him going in thr 7 or undrafted

Analysis: "Williams was a solid prospect prior to his ankle injury. Unlikely to be 100% anytime soon, he'll be stashed on injured reserve then reevaluated in 2012."

Projection: 7-FA

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2011/players/48463.html

hey I still like him in the 3 -4
  11. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ah well don't worry about it Count - hell I may be way off base on all of them - esp with a new regime coming in

I just read a mock that had him going in thr 7 or undrafted

Analysis: "Williams was a solid prospect prior to his ankle injury. Unlikely to be 100% anytime soon, he'll be stashed on injured reserve then reevaluated in 2012."

Projection: 7-FA

hey I'd still take him in the 3 -4 rounds
  12. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,287 Messages
    1,234 Likes Received
    Yeah, I def think there's a chance his rookie year is a loss, but before that he showed enough talent to be considered a late 1st/early 2nd type prospect.

Maybe if he had tore his knee up, I'd understand the undrafted angle, and no doubt it was a really bad injury but bones heal.

If we were in position to snag him up in the 7th though, then that's great news for us.

Regardless, I do like the mock and you snuck in some guys later on that I like a lot in Carter and Rogers.
  13. IlliniNation

IlliniNation Member

72 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I have watched just about every game Martez Wilson has played in. More times than not, I was left disgusted and dissapointed. Ive seen it written that he is "more impressive in underwear than pads". That is so true. I sure hope Dallas does not take Wilson....and im a HUGE Illini fan.
  14. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,913 Messages
    486 Likes Received
    me too....seems stiff as a board...looks like a lineman changing directions. I'll pass on wilson.
  15. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,520 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    That's crazy if we could pick him up in the 7th I would be so damn ecstatic.

Have u read it any where else that has him going 7th-undrafted?