1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Take this for what it's worth...

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by The30YardSlant, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,671 Messages
    205 Likes Received
    TE a priority

Fasano, Bennett,.. :bang2:

We never learn do we?
  2. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

2,834 Messages
    282 Likes Received
    You really think it's a move up for only Barron? I think realistically, Dallas could get Cox if they get that pick from Miami.
  3. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,437 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    I guess the flip side would be how did the picks do that we got for the thirds in 05 and 08?
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,768 Messages
    3,757 Likes Received
    If we like him, need him, and think he'll be gone, we should-and probably will- trade up. That's the 'being aggressive' everyone likes to talk about.

As for the media reports, of course there's plenty of speculation. We're the Dallas Cowboys. But even in a possible trade up scenario, with better sources on the board than we've had previously, we still don't know who the target really could be. I think that's awesome.
  5. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I think part of the appeal in moving up to #11 to snag Barron is that KC's asking price will be dirt cheap. Cowboys might give up their 3rd, but they'll get some other picks back in return or swap out picks to make a little less than a 3rd. If the Cowboys really aren't in love with anyone in the 81st pick range, the price is even more negligible.

Meanwhile, the compensation needed to move up for Cox could be too significant.
  6. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,221 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    As much as I hate spending picks to move up for anything other than a franchise QB, I could actually see it for Cox...but not a CB that we could get later on.
  7. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,244 Messages
    108 Likes Received

I really think Miami is targeting a QB, I doubt they will trade.
  8. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 RAWR

11,944 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    Stay put and take Gilmore or Kirkpatrick at 14...

Hate trade up scenarios...
  9. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,603 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Don't know how we can justify taking a 4th CB this early, although it would be good insurance and could allow us to let Jenkins walk after the season, it doesn't help us immediately.
  10. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,363 Messages
    1,360 Likes Received
    I really do.
  11. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    i agree especially if the alternative is Brockers who i would only want in a trade down.
  12. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

2,834 Messages
    282 Likes Received
    I see the Bills wanting Kalil and if they don't get him, I can't trust them not to take Barron @ 10.
  13. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,135 Messages
    1,314 Likes Received
    Because Jenkins is gonna get big dollars in FA if he is healthy and Claiborne will have the friendly rookie contract.

Plus he is a stud.
  14. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,863 Messages
    577 Likes Received
    Food for thought...and I love Barron..at 14

Recent safeties drafted in top 10: Eric Berry (5), LaRon Landry (6), Michael Huff (7), Donte Whitner (8), Sean Taylor (5)...2 are on other teams now. No real busts but take of it what you will.
  15. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

2,834 Messages
    282 Likes Received
    Even if so, Tannehill will probably drop to 14. I don't see Carolina, Buffalo, KC, Seattle and Arizona taking QBs.

Don't get me wrong. 3 of those teams could take a QB if he's there, but is not like they are dying for one either.
  16. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    There is a Buffalo beat writer who covers the Bills who has predicted the last 4 Bills first round picks (which is hard to do, because they don't follow conventional wisdom). He said said today that he hears the Bills will take Kuechly if he's there at 10. He would be the perfect chase MLB in Wanstedt's 4-3, like Zach Thomas was in Miami or Ken Norton was in Dallas. Norm said he heard the same thing yesterday from a source.
  17. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 RAWR

11,944 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    BPA, yes Jenk may walk, we could use an upgrade, or we can always trade down...
  18. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,470 Messages
    1,977 Likes Received
    Exactly. More busts than game changers. Taylor is the only one I'd take that high, and I don't think Barron is nearly the freaky athlete that Taylor was.
  19. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,162 Messages
    588 Likes Received
    Barron will be there at 14! Teams are trying to get Dallas to take the bait, and I'm afraid that Jerry will fall for it.

None of the teams ahead of us need a safety......all have proven, young talented, and in some cases Pro Bowlers.

Jags- they have bigger needs than a safety at 7
    Dolphins- they too have bigger needs than safety, principally QB
    Panthers- will go DL
    Bills- they have a pro bowler in Byrd.... a late rounder that did good. They need a LT.
    Chiefs- they drafted Berry recently and paired him with another rookie, they don't need another early round safety.
    Seahawks- they have two young pro-bowl safeties, Thomas and Chancelor
    Cardinals- Adrian Wilson, they too have bigger needs than a safety

With the 14th pick of the 2012 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys select Mark Barron from the University of Alabama.

I still have hope that DeCastro is the name.

Dallas has to many holes to try to fill without trading away picks. We are not a Mark Barron or Fletcher Cox, or even a Claiborne away from a championship.
  20. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,603 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Well the main deal here is he would ride the pine all year, and not help us this year.

While we do need to draft at least 1 CB, if we draft a 1st rounder at that position, we are giving up on guys that could help us this year.