1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Taking a QB early...

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by jnday, Dec 19, 2011.

1. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    How upset would you guys be if the Cowboys pick a QB with their first or second round pick? They really liked Dalton last year and he would have been a great pick in the second. I've read reports that they like Tannehill this year . With Kitna leaving , I think they will consider it. Thoughts?
  2. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have a hard time envisioning Jerry taking a QB in the 1st round just to sit a few years while he's paying him. Having said that, I think we probably do take a QB relatively high in the 3rd or 4th round this draft.
  3. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I don't care one way or the other, but I wouldn't be shocked to see it happen.
  4. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,831 Messages
    336 Likes Received
    Need to do it sooner or later if we're going to avoid another post Aikman/pre Romo era
  5. craig71

craig71 Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam

2,599 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    If a Qb fell to me in the 1st round and that Qb was the top ranked player on my board I would take him and wouldn't look back.

Craig
  6. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,714 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    I don't think anyone in their right mind would be upset if RG3 became a Dallas Cowboy.
  7. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,037 Messages
    7,517 Likes Received
    Not upset at all. As long as that QB was value on their board.
  8. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    How much of the fanbase do you think would react with the same reason ?
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,435 Messages
    1,456 Likes Received
    Too early yet. Give it another year or so; we have too many other holes to fill.
  10. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,872 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    I think it would take a miracle for that to happen. Either that, or just a TERRIBLE showing at his proday/combine.
  11. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd be shocked if the Cowboys went QB in the 1st and very surprised if they did it in the 2nd.

If the clear BPA at the Dallas pick in the 1st or 2nd round were a QB, I'm guessing Jerry's first inclination would be to trade the pick and get value from a club with a more pressing need at QB.
  12. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,037 Messages
    7,517 Likes Received
    Probably not many. At least before the pick is made. If we did actually take a QB high, the majority of fans would immediately spin it to the positive. It's what they do.
  13. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,018 Messages
    207 Likes Received
    I wouldn't be upset as long as the guy can play, but doubt we will because I think Romo still has at least another good 5 years left in him barring serious injury. I can actually see him playing a lot longer than that and being one of those Kurt Warner types that can play at a high level and win games at an older age. If I had my say so in the organization, I wouldn't start a franchise QB search until year 2015.
  14. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,893 Messages
    984 Likes Received
    If they do like Tannehill I think he will be available after the second round. They could get him in the 3rd or 4th.

They should not draft a QB for the sake of drafting a QB. If they have a few guys they really like and are the BPA at the time they are drafting, then they should pull the trigger. They don't need to reach for anyone.
  15. ringmaster

ringmaster Active Member

1,714 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I see where you're coming from and I did hear that they like Tannehill but the guy I wouldn't mind them getting even though it might be a long shot is Kellen Moore, because for some reason I see a resemblence of a young Brees in this guy.

But if that were to happen it wouldn't set well with some of the fanbase and the Dallas media would crucify JJ if that were to happen because they would see it as a early QB controversy.
  16. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    At one time this year ,he was rated up to a mid first round pick on potential . I think his value went down at the end of the season though . I really wouldn't be against using a second on him . He has tools to be elite with the right coaching .
  17. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I could see him as a late 2nd round or 3rd round pick. Like you said, he's got all the requisite tools and some success at the college level. I think he's the perfect prospect to take now and let sit behind Romo for the next 2-4 seasons and develop.
  18. Aggie87

Aggie87 Member

153 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Tannehill's not better than McGee. Tannehill will take as long or longer to groom than McGee has already.

It would be a wasted pick to grab him in any of the first 3-4 rounds if you ask me. Especially with some serious needs on the OL, and on defense in general (outside of about 3-4 players).
  19. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    This kind of the response that I expected from many fans to be honest . I agree that there are many holes that need to be filled . Wheather it's Tannehill or another QB at what point should a quality prospect be taken ? Romo may last 2 years or 5 . Who knows ? I really don't know much about Tannehill . What don't ya like ?
  20. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,628 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    I am in full favor of drafting a QB, as it is the most important position on the field (guess I have said this before). But this above is the sole reason for a problem, the media will go nuts with it, and say we are trying to get rid of Romo.

If Romo has a bad end to the season, it will give the media and some fans even more fuel for the fire. I still think we need to look out for the long term future of the franchise and not care about the media or fan reaction from our moves.

We do need to develop the position, and who cares what the media thinks about it cause they will try to make a story out of it regardless. The Pats took Mallet and noone was talking controversy, but if that were us last year, we would've had to hear it.

I have no problems taking a QB early (2nd round on down the draft) at all if he is the BPA.