1. SPORGWIRE.com
    The Sports Newswire
    SPORGWIRE provides you with an easy way to keep up with the latest sports news,
    rumors, reviews, videos and more from sports sites all over the internet!
    Follow your favorite teams and sports leagues and
    the SPORGWIRE home page becomes your personal sports news site for the internet!
    Dismiss Notice

Takk Mckinley is on the board at 28

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CATCH17, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

41,647 Messages
    27,922 Likes Received
    I have said it for a while and I still am very wary of the surgery. The possibility of him being another Shaq Lawson washout just keeps me from endorsing the pick wholeheartedly.

reddyuta likes this.
  2. Supercowboy1986

Supercowboy1986 Well-Known Member

2,102 Messages
    1,248 Likes Received
    Is he the one who spins off of lineman?

3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

38,779 Messages
    46,241 Likes Received
    Tapper, Willis, McKinley....I'm beginning to think you just hate really elite pass rushers.

Alexander likes this.
  4. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

33,404 Messages
    10,412 Likes Received
    Yep. He had a ridiculous spin move.

5. Rogerthat12

Rogerthat12 DWAREZ

8,864 Messages
    3,872 Likes Received
    The only question is the injury, will the Cowboys pull the trigger with the injury complication? I think they like his motor and upside as a player.

All these DE prospects have warts in our range.

6. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

37,304 Messages
    15,072 Likes Received

Yep...

At least with Takk he does have some athleticism, long arms, and he will give you all he has.

He's just going to miss all of training camp and part of the season.

I would wait another year for a RE and use our pick elsewhere.

baltcowboy and fishspill like this.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and brew... Staff Member

24,717 Messages
    9,606 Likes Received
    Hopefully they'll be smart enough to take Harris instead.

reddyuta, Denim Chicken and Chuck 54 like this.
  8. Rogerthat12

Rogerthat12 DWAREZ

8,864 Messages
    3,872 Likes Received
    Yes, they do not mind the leaner 240-250 RDE's with arm length and motor.

I think they will draft a RDE prospect this year but I am unsure if the shoulder for Takk will disqualify him this year as a candidate or not, I think it depends on how they view that injury and the time away from the field.

9. ksg811

ksg811 Active Member

150 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    I don't understand all the concern over his injury. It's only a torn labrum, not a debilitating injury like an achilles. Vic Beasley played through his rookie 2015 with a torn labrum and just led the league in sacks this past year.

This isn't a redshirt situation. The high end of his recovery would bring him to September, so worst case is he misses the first quarter of the season. He'll still attend training camp, work with coaches, learn the scheme, etc. I think it's incredibly short-sighted to disqualify him because he may miss a few games to start his rookie season, which rookie pass rushers usually struggle anyway. Any pass rusher we take at 28 is unlikely to be a big factor early on anyway, so why over analyze a potential missed few games when he arguably has the highest ceiling?

I fully understand the critiques of his game with his lack of bend, lack of counter moves, poor hand and arm usage etc, but I can't get behind the injury concerns. If the doctors clear him of any chronic or degenerative problems in his shoulder, that's all I need. There is enough depth on this roster to let him rehab and build towards full strength for a playoff push. Story is different though if there some kind of structural, degenerative, or genetic issue but none of us have access to his records, unfortunately.

CowboyChris likes this.
  10. Rogerthat12

Rogerthat12 DWAREZ

8,864 Messages
    3,872 Likes Received
    It could be taken into consideration if there are two players with similar grades but only one has injury recovery even if it is possible to come back in September or October.

Time will tell assuming Takk is available at #28.

11. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

11,422 Messages
    2,159 Likes Received
    I don't think he'll be above Carlton or Harris on our list. We can get a similar player in round two.
    If there's an every down DE that falls, we may take him, but if a real stud isn't there, I can see us taking a CB and looking at situational DEs later.

MichaelWinicki likes this.
  12. ksg811

ksg811 Active Member

150 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    I get what you're saying but wouldn't the injury already be reflected in the grade? And even so, I think it would be pretty misguided to have immediate availability of a rookie as a deciding factor between two players. I can understand a redshirt situation but at most a few games? That's just not logical to me.

13. Rogerthat12

Rogerthat12 DWAREZ

8,864 Messages
    3,872 Likes Received
    I understand your point but we do not know how they grade these prospects with a possible temporary injury and we do not know how they view the Takk injury in specific.

They may prefer a player with immediate availability, Jerry mentioned this as a factor in drafting this year, does the Takk injury apply to this perspective, we do not know?

Time will tell.

14. ksg811

ksg811 Active Member

150 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    I don't think they're all too concerned with the injury, otherwise they wouldn't have met with him so many times.

I took Jerry's comments as being geared toward a Jaylon Smith redshirt situation, which Takk isn't. But like you said, we have no idea how they view injuries or specifically his and how comfortable they'd be with him potentially missing a few games as he gets back into game shape.

Rogerthat12 likes this.
  15. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

5,755 Messages
    1,533 Likes Received
    I used to be able to point out how restrictive college rules were at limiting practice time but the CBA has turned the pro game into that as well.

16. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

6,298 Messages
    5,379 Likes Received
    I like Harris better, but wouldn't be opposed to Takk.

I like the discipline he shows here:

And these are nice too:

17. theranchsucks

theranchsucks Well-Known Member

3,666 Messages
    2,618 Likes Received
    Different defensive end same story

18. JIMMYBUFFETT

JIMMYBUFFETT Skinwalker

1,659 Messages
    833 Likes Received
    While I understand the concerns over hand usage and corner bend with McKinley, I can't look past his burst off the snap and his instincts. He just explodes off the snap and finds the ball so quickly. 10 sacks is impressive, but the 18 tackles for loss and 6 pass breakups is what I keep coming back to. He's just constantly making plays behind the line and is relentless against the run and in the passing game.

JoeyBoy718 and BoysfanfromNY like this.
  19. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

16,328 Messages
    2,390 Likes Received
    Yeah my list was more brainstorming than actual order of talent..

DFWJC likes this.
  20. Pants

Pants Active Member

284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    I may go safety here as I think there are a few studs at that position that I see going in the top 10

CowboyFan74 likes this.