1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Taliban say U.S. reconciliation offer "lunatic"

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ethiostar, Apr 1, 2009.

1. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,307 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    I didn't see this posted anywhere. Sorry if it's a repost.

Taliban say U.S. reconciliation offer "lunatic"

By Sayed Salahuddin Sayed Salahuddin

KABUL (Reuters) – Taliban insurgents rejected on Wednesday a U.S. offer of "honorable reconciliation" as a "lunatic idea" and said the withdrawal of foreign troops was the only way to end the war in Afghanistan.

With the Afghan conflict now in its eighth year, NATO-led forces and the Taliban are locked in a bloody stalemate with violence set to rise further this year as more U.S. troops arrive and seek to contain the insurgency ahead of August elections.

President Barack Obama is redoubling U.S. efforts with more troops, more diplomatic effort and more economic assistance, but he has also already spoken of the need for an "exit strategy."

If the U.S. plan fails to show results, analysts say, time is on the Taliban side.

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told an international conference on Afghanistan on Tuesday that those members of the Taliban who abandoned extremism must be granted an "honorable form of reconciliation."
    "This matter was also raised in the past," said Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid, referring to comments by Obama last month who spoke of reaching out to moderate Taliban.

"They have to go and find the moderate Taliban, their leader and speak to them. This is a lunatic idea," Mujahid said by telephone from an unknown location.

The 21,000 extra U.S. troops ordered by Obama to join the 70,000 foreign soldiers now fighting insurgents in Afghanistan showed the United States wanted the war to continue, Mujahid said, and the Taliban would keep fighting till they left.

"There is no other way. We want our freedom and respect for our independence," Mujahid said.

Swiftly ousted by U.S.-led forces in 2001 for harboring al Qaeda after the September 11 attacks, the Taliban regrouped and have steadily spread their attacks from their traditional support base in the south and east to areas closer to the capital.

STALEMATE
    NATO commanders admit that mainly British, Canadian and Dutch troops are locked in a stalemate in the south, unable to stop insurgent roadside and suicide bomb attacks without the active support of the population, while Taliban militants are incapable of overcoming Western troops in head-on battle.

Most of the new U.S. troops will be deployed in the south in an effort to break that stalemate, but while U.S. commanders say their forces, mainly in the east, are making progress against the insurgency, violence has risen steadily there too.

As Obama unveiled his new strategy he focused on the fight against al Qaeda and not allowing Afghanistan to again become a base for Osama bin Laden's group to attack the United States.

By doing so, Obama effectively changed the measure of success in Afghanistan from the Bush administration's goal of also defeating the Taliban and installing Western-style democracy.

Despite the Taliban's harsh rhetoric against foreign troops, the Islamist movement says it does not need al Qaeda support and has also toned down its criticism of the Afghan government.

The shifting stances offer a glimpse of what a possible peace deal may entail: Taliban repudiation of al Qaeda in return for a pledge to withdraw foreign troops.

But while moderate former Taliban officials have been involved in Saudi-sponsored talks to explore ways of opening dialogue with the insurgents, the Taliban are unlikely to engage in negotiations as long as they feel they are winning the war.

Strong indigenous security forces are a key to success in counter-insurgency, U.S. military doctrine states, and Obama said his new strategy would increase efforts to train Afghan forces and bring the Afghan army and police up to strength by 2011.

That date also coincides with the time by which, diplomats say, the Obama administration is likely to want to see results in Afghanistan -- a year before the next U.S. presidential election.

The Taliban meanwhile, do not have to win the war, analysts say. All they have to do is survive and wait for their opponents to lose the will to keep fighting.
    (Writing by Jon Hemming; Editing by Jerry Norton)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090401/pl_nm/us_afghanistan_taliban/print
  2. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,728 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Don't they know who our Commander and Chief is? They must not understand his background in community organizing. If they would just talk to him, they would learn Obama can better organize their communities for them.

We still have over a hundred thousand troops in the middle east. When did Barry say we will have all the troops home by?
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    Obama really has no clue as to what he is doing, the guy is a fricken joke
  4. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    In an effort to smooth out the conflict,Obama,after giving Gordon Brown 25 dvds and the Queen of England an Ipod,sent the Taliban the latest Guitar Hero.
  5. vlad

vlad Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

1,085 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    What do you guys think the answer is? I haven't the first clue what to do here...

My OPINION is that it was a massive mistake to go in there to begin with, but that's just from the point of view that going anywhere into a Muslim nation and trying to do anything is worthless. Being Indian its just a view I grew up with, knowing what kind of fanatacism you're dealing with. I don't think the average American citizen had that type of perspective given their background just probably never brought it up on the radar. For example, I haven't the first idea what Argentinian society is like...

Anyway, now that we're there...no idea.
  6. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    You are aware that it was these cornholes who killed three thousand people on 9/11, right?
  7. vlad

vlad Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

1,085 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    very aware CC, I sit every day about 300 yards from Ground Zero. But I'm also aware of the fact that 8 years ago people that said all this was being run out of Pakistan were shoved to the side...and if you have a background in that part of the world you would generally beleive that is where the root of the problem is.

I should restate this. I am all for going after those groups, I am no fan of them, believe me. Again I grew up in a family that had a long history of problems from that side...I was mistakenly referring to the overall situation now.

I was just saying I have no idea what to do now...unless the idea is to just wipe them all off, which I don't think is realistic without just putting us deeper in debt and fueling more nutjobs around the globe, I think you have to try military and diplomacy...at some point hope the scales tip and the society as a whole does something about it. Even then, once we go we're gone and I'm guessing more stuff is going to happen just based on how many things can happen. Its unfortunate reality I think.

Do I want them all gone, hell yeah....of course, and probably if we hadn't gone after Iraq all of our powerful resources would have done the trick (provided we would have listened to those talking about Pakistan). Plus then Iran wouldn't be as big of a ticking time bomb...for all of our worries about them, just wait for the wrong ppl to control Pakistan who already had nukes, then its a new world.

Anyway, I always hear ppl talk like they are the authority on what to do, I'm just open to saying I have no idea in the world, and asking these people that speak like the know to enlighten me. Not being patronizing, hey any opinion is worth hearing.
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,860 Messages
    1,705 Likes Received
    Obama was based in Afghanistan. That is why we went there FIRST by the way before Iraq. We ran the Taliban into the hills and then made the mistake of thinking it was all over. We put relatively scant resources into chasing them down and killing them= we needed to put a lot more Special Forces and Rangers in there but did not. And to be fair we needed more time to INCREASE the strength of those forces to get the job done.
    While there were those in Pakistan that certainly HELPED it was NOT based there nor were the main parts of the 9/11 attackers based there. NOW it is clear that there are parts of Al Queeda in Pakistan it is NOT clear this was the case in 2001. There will always be those claiming otherwise but ask them for proof or evidence and you will get nada. Do not be pulled into the PC trap of rewriting history because it is conveinent.
  9. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,499 Messages
    2,910 Likes Received
    We have been at war in Afhganistan for 8 years and Obama has been in office 60 days.

I think it was Bush who had no clue as to what he was doing. How the hell do you conduct a war for 8 freaking years and have jack to show for it???

Most expersts say the situation is worse now than at the begginning of the war, that is why more troops and more money is being funnelled into Afhganistan and Pakistan.
  10. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,392 Messages
    579 Likes Received
    Again ignorance shines through. First of all, there is no timetable for a war or warlike showdowns. Second, a lot of terrorism in this country was shut down and it woke this country up to being on a better alert and taking these people serious.

The war was worth the effort and worth everything we put in it and much more. People in Iraq have a future, they have hope they are much much better off and glad for it.

Our military is much better off and more prepared and ready for another phase of how to deal with another level of warfare.

Our intelligence is better, we;ve taken, well until Obama, but we've taken many terrorists and terrorists cells off the planet. We've taken a dictator out of power. Did you see the mass graves of people that were killed. You'd think the pro lifers would be all over that one.

The relations, the futures we are building over there. The electricity we are putting over there, the educations, the avenues of new hope and resources that are going over there.

Once again this all goes back to America starting the effort and the world responds. Countries helped out, armies got together, people shared, things got done, projects got started, peoples ideoligies changed, relations strenghted or changed, people are aware.

We has a country moved into more military style of life, enchanced our military, brought new people into it, keep people working, keep towns and economies going.

Because of our money, because of our efforts, because of our people, strangers, now friends, have a chance at something that wasnt given to them before, new beginings are happening, a new state of awareness happened, new efforts, dreams, possiblities are arising and the world is not stagnant to certain threats anymore, arent close minded. OUR CHILDREN CAN POINT OUT IRAQ ON A GLOBE. Hopefully.

This was all worth and we are a better people for it and more aware.
  11. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,499 Messages
    2,910 Likes Received
    Ignorance shines through???

Before making statements like this, maybe you should pay attention to the topic being discussed.

My entire post was about Afhganistan and how the experts are saying the situation is worse now than before the war started over there. My post was a respone to a poster who said Obama did not know what he was doing, so I pointed out that we have been fighting in Afhganistan for 8 years without anything to show for it under Bush. That is why more troops and more money is being funnelled into Afhganistan and Pakistan.

I never one time mentioned Iraq in my post, but your entire response was about what we have done in Iraq.
  12. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    :lmao2:
  13. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received

Yes, all the wingnut lefties do have a tendancy to say that and they may be right. I mean, after all, no other attacks have occured in America since we commited troops. On the other hand, President Obama is probably a product of the War so you may actually be on to something.
  14. Jordan55

Jordan55 Active Member

1,176 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  15. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,392 Messages
    579 Likes Received

and who said most of my post wasnt on Afghanistan? It applies to both. Afganistan is much better off thanx to us as well.
  16. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I think Bush knew a hell of alot more than that 2 bit community activist idiot that is in office.
  17. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,310 Messages
    4,644 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  18. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Another reason we shouldn't have voted for him.

:D
  19. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,743 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  20. cowboys#1

cowboys#1 Finish!

2,409 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    dudes been in office for 3 months. should at least give him more time to work on the big mess dubya left.