1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Recap: Talkin Cowboys 4/30

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by LatinMind, Apr 30, 2014.

1. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,560 Likes Received
    Stop teasing it's not nice.
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,750 Messages
    5,908 Likes Received
    I reviewed McClain on the NFL game film. I reviewed him in 2013 with the Texans and in 2011 with the Panthers.

He was a much different player in 2013 than in his rookie year (2011). In 2011 you could see good physical ability, but he didn't have much developed skill/awareness. He also didn't look to be in great condition. In 2013 his skill level was dramatically better and he appeared to be in much better condition which made him quicker. It did help that he was a backup/rotation guy in 2013 instead of playing the majority of the snaps as a starter in 2011.

In 2013 with the Texans he was the backup NT. He was quicker than the starter but not quite as strong. He was really quick for an NT.

In 2011 he appeared a bit sluggish as a 3-tech.

He fits exactly what I think Marinelli wants from a 1-tech. I think Marinelli wants a 1-tech that is almost quick enough to be a 3-tech but is strong enough to be the 1-tech. The Marinelli 1-tech is right in the middle between the power of a 3-4 NT and the quickness of a 4-3 NT. That is the exact description of McClain, IMO.
    Corso and reddyuta like this.
  3. xwalker

13,750 Messages
    5,908 Likes Received
    They're talking about the specific schedule for 2014. It's believed that the 2nd half is a really tough schedule for them this season. They were trying to say that if they don't have a winning record early, that it's probably not going to get better later.
    Smith22 likes this.
  4. Smith22

Smith22 Well-Known Member

5,848 Messages
    267 Likes Received
    I think they specifically mentioned the game versus Poe as tough, but that Beard learned from the experience and improved.
    LatinMind likes this.
  5. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    Poe is going to be a force in the League for awhile IMO. I don't think FredBeard, or anybody is really going to gave great games against him but it's good that he learns from it IMO. You may not be able to move Poe but if you can keep him from killing your QB, that's also pretty big.
  6. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,998 Messages
    2,026 Likes Received
    I think too many people are making too much of his shorts and a shirt workouts. You watch his game and he is solid. He's not a WDE, he's a Strong side guy.
  7. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,998 Messages
    2,026 Likes Received
    yeah they did. But as the season went on you saw him wear down a little. He even mentioned how different a NFL saeason was from college.
  8. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,998 Messages
    2,026 Likes Received
    I dont think they would do the 2 RD3 picks. They have 2 picks in RD3&4. i could see a trade for their first 3 with is 71, and the second 4 which is 127.
  9. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    No. I had this evaluation of him, way before the combine. I've watched him and what I see is a guy who stays blocked, plays way too high, doesn't have the 1st step to be a WDE and doesn't have the strength, technique or desire (IMO) to play the Strong Side. You see him get blocked by backs against the run. I just don't like him.
    Floaty likes this.
  10. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,998 Messages
    2,026 Likes Received
    I think with a trade down he is the pick.
  11. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    Well, it's possible. The Cowboys have certainly made picks in the past that I was not a big fan of. I hope that's not the case but I will say that if they did that, it wouldn't surprise me.
  12. xwalker

13,750 Messages
    5,908 Likes Received
    Yes, I see Ealy as a SDE. The issue is that there are several of those types in this draft. Guys like Martin and Crighton. Ealy might be more like a WDE than those guys but I'm not sure that makes him a better SDE than them.

Some people like Ealy as an inside rusher in the nickel, but Martin did that also.
  13. xwalker

13,750 Messages
    5,908 Likes Received
    Poe is the most physically gifted DT in the NFL, IMO. IIRC, his 10 yard time was faster than Crawfords despite Crawford weighing 285 and Poe weighing 346.
  14. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,998 Messages
    2,026 Likes Received
    Broaddus made a comment about Martin earlier in the week. And said with talking to the coaches and what they describe in what they are looking for in De's Martin doesnt look like a fit. And ive read that Martin is starting to look like a 3-4 DE
  15. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    He's pretty close IMO as well. Really wanted the Cowboys to draft him in 2012.
  16. xwalker

13,750 Messages
    5,908 Likes Received
    Interesting.

He does not look super quick off the line, but he had an incredible 1.53 10-yard time. He seems like a bigger and more athletic version of Selvie to me.
  17. coult44

coult44 Well-Known Member

1,633 Messages
    932 Likes Received
    I'd say this means there's a 90% likelihood we draft Jernigan.
  18. big dog cowboy

51,649 Messages
    5,560 Likes Received
    Anything more than a rotational guy would be a bonus. Perhaps he has finally has it figured out from the neck up AND neck down and found a perfect home in Dallas. Really really pulling for him to come thru for us.
  19. xwalker

13,750 Messages
    5,908 Likes Received
    It wouldn't be hard to be much better than Hayden.
  20. big dog cowboy

51,649 Messages
    5,560 Likes Received
    He is already better than Hayden. We address the DL like we should the next 4 months and Hayden will not make the final 53.