1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Tannehill getting raves

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by GimmeTheBall!, Apr 2, 2012.

1. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

12,290 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    And Romo is not getting younger.

C'mon, even the Romo worshippers have gotta admit that at one point we need to consider a QB for the future.
    It would take a young QB at least 2-3 years to reach NFL maturity. And at that point, Romo would be in his mid 30s.

Not saying Tannehill should be our QB of the future but we gotta start looking at the position's future, and McGee and Orton are not it.
    And no, I don't think Tannehill will last beyond 15.

Discuss. Or cuss.:)
  2. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

14,509 Messages
    977 Likes Received
    Jerry already said they're going to be working on Romo's extension soon, so he's going to be here a long, long time to come. Romo's eventual replacement is still in HS getting dropped off by his mom.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,857 Messages
    1,498 Likes Received
    I agree that in the near future Cowboys should bring in a QB. I saw enough of Tannehill the last 2 years and not convinced he is a 1st rd caliber QB. No doubt he will go in the 1st rd but that only tells me how desperate teams get when trying to find a QB
  4. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,738 Messages
    830 Likes Received
    QB is the lowest priority on the team for me. Behind even kicker.

We have Tannehill Sr in McGee already on the roster.
    Great athlete, couldn't quite get it done on the field in college at TAMU.

For people who didn't watch TAMU games I can see selling Tannehill as a R1 guy but for those who did watch those 2nd half meltdowns it will be very, very tough.

Our QB Depth chart is probably the BEST in football right now.
    Romo --- 10th or so overall. 31 year old and won 48 games as a starter.
    Orton --- 30th or so overall long-time starter. 2 years younger than Romo but won 35 games as a starter.
    McGee --- 26 year old prospect who knows the system. Has 82 QB Rating in limited time.
  5. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I have no problems with drafting a QB but not in the top 3 rounds , not this year.....I think we should draft a QB every other year ...should always have one being groomed
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,924 Messages
    1,196 Likes Received
    I ilke the idea of getting a developmental guy late in the draft each year or every other year.

I think 2013 would be a good time maybe to look higher for a QB; say 3rd rd. Its going to take a couple of years to find out if one is any good.
  7. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,738 Messages
    830 Likes Received
    The drafting a QB every year thing came from Ron Wolf and certainly worked for him but I don't know of anyone else who had it work.

You almost have to draft a guy, let him sit, get "unlucky" with an injury to a starter then have that guy play well to trade him for great value. See Kevin Kolb or numerous other examples.

The ONLY QB I'd draft this year is Brandon Weeden. He is both a heck of a player and will probably be a good value. After that you might as well target an UDFA and hope you can get by with him on the PS.

If, next season you determine to let McGee go you can draft a bit higher but the guy is going to be inactive 3rd QB unless someone gets hurt so he still can't be a premium pick unless you get lucky and someone really falls.

Wolf was smarter than most about QBs so his plan worked. Most teams pick crap QBs and its just a waste of a draft pick whent hey end up in the Arena Leagues throwing to TO.
  8. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,317 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    Not really worth discussion since he will be taken in the top ten. He won't get past Miami.
  9. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,667 Messages
    1,531 Likes Received
    Here's a story.

Let's say the neighbor's house has become the center for an obvious hard drug ring. Now it even looks like there's some child prostitution going on. One night you even hear many gun shots, and are pretty sure there are bodies buried in the back yard.

You have called the cops and they finally go by that house....

and issue the home a citation for not mowing their lawn low enough.:D
  10. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,121 Messages
    248 Likes Received
    This.
  11. Aikbach

Aikbach Active Member

9,601 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    If that happens that will be the worst reach in the draft.