1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Tavon Austin's open-field juke

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Idgit, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

33,738 Messages
    9,719 Likes Received
    Leaves teammate faking an injury. Even though it was just the punter. Think this guy is the real deal.

2. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,917 Messages
    436 Likes Received
    People saying he is too short to play on the outside are ridiculous, watch what he does this season.
  3. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,598 Messages
    1,728 Likes Received
    Everyone will love the Sunday highlight shows of Tavon.
  4. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,751 Messages
    353 Likes Received
    I was really hoping he would fall to us because everyone people think he is too short and too small.

I envisioned him playing slot WR but also sometimes lining up at RB on 3rd and intermediate distances as he could run the ball or pose a huge mismatch as a RB coming out of the backfield vs a LB. You could do this out of a 12 package even so the defense has to stay big but then you can move pieces around to create huge mismatches.

Anyhow, I wish the kid luck and hope he gives them fits in SF and Seattle.
  5. Hardline

Hardline Well-Known Member

1,288 Messages
    703 Likes Received
    One big shot from a safety and his season will be over.
  6. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

54,403 Messages
    7,223 Likes Received
    Not much to cushion a big hit. He will get singled out for that especially if he proves to be a good one.
  7. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received

Because we needed to spend another 1st round pick on a WR. Who is small. That will surely fix the running game and redzone issues!

Jerry loves you.
  8. Idgit

33,738 Messages
    9,719 Likes Received
    I'd have taken him in a heart beat if he'd fallen, too. Teams are built around special players, and he's going to be one.
  9. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

54,403 Messages
    7,223 Likes Received
    He might be special but I question the longevity of his career at that size.
  10. WV Cowboy

11,598 Messages
    1,728 Likes Received
    Good luck getting that one big shot.

It may take a dirty blindside hit, or a late shot to get him.
  11. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

3,092 Messages
    1,587 Likes Received

Or just something like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lExcybB0iuM

I mean, I expect that this kid may be more swift than Jackson, he won't always be put in the best position to not get rocked.

Like someone mentioned above, I too, question his longevity.
  12. Idgit

33,738 Messages
    9,719 Likes Received
    That's fair. I think, if he ends up not being an impact player over his career, that'll be the reason why. But I'd still have taken a chance on him.
  13. WV Cowboy

11,598 Messages
    1,728 Likes Received
    So that's it? You search your archives and find one play where a small guy gets hit hard, and that proves TA's longevity.

I guess.
  14. Hardline

Hardline Well-Known Member

1,288 Messages
    703 Likes Received
    Every WR will occasionally take a big shot. He won't be an exception.
  15. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

25,534 Messages
    3,457 Likes Received
    He got picked 8th overall, so he absolutely must end up being the real deal or it will be a big disappointment.

Should be fun to see how it works out.

As for the Rams in general, al I can say is "look out" because they could be pretty good.
  16. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

5,129 Messages
    753 Likes Received
    He will not be seeing a lot of punters looking to tackle him on a normal defensive series.
  17. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Backwoods Sexy Staff Member

62,882 Messages
    6,224 Likes Received
    He saw plenty of defenders, not punters, trying to tackle him from schools in the Big East, ACC, Big 12 and SEC.

Including some DBs from LSU like Honey Badger, Our own Mo, Peterson and Eric Reid when WVU played them two different years.

He did not miss ONE game during his college career. Nor did he miss a Practice.

You don't gain the number of yards on Returns, in the receiving game and in the run game by only going against punters.
  18. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

5,129 Messages
    753 Likes Received

I agree but making a story about juking the jock strap off a punter is not that impressive. He will get his yards but he will be going against "professional" tacklers also they will get their hits and tackles on him. NCAA is more about athleticism so technique, angles, and pursuit at the next level wil be a little tougher. I do not doubt his talent I just think crowning him the next Hester is premature. Not to mention with the changes to rules for KR and the fact teams will not punt to him I hope he is more D-Jax as a receiver than Cribbs or Hester as a receiver.
  19. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

3,092 Messages
    1,587 Likes Received
    I mean, I could find more examples like the gruesome hit that broke Johnny Knox's back, ending his career, but my goal isn't to shock or relive haunted memories.

It was just an example. Football is still a violent game and small guys still have a rough go of things. The thing about open space in the NFL, it has to be created and often times doesn't exist. Offensive coordinators aren't just going to send this kid streaking up the sidelines, they're going to use him wherever they see fit... bubble screens, slants, maybe even line him up in the backfield and string him out on a swing pass to get rocked by Patrick Willis, ala Sheldon Brown v Reggie Bush.

Anyway, my example doesn't prove anything... I just question his longevity, especially in the rough and tough division the AFCW as become.
  20. WV Cowboy

11,598 Messages
    1,728 Likes Received
    They will see what we have seen.