1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Twitter: TC Evening Practice Wrap-Up - 07/30/13

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jul 30, 2013.

1. dallasfan4lizife

dallasfan4lizife Well-Known Member

2,744 Messages
    332 Likes Received
    you're entitled to your opinion. I just don't get how anyone can look forward to the weakest aspect of this team.
  2. Boyzmamacita

Boyzmamacita The Ultimate Cowbabe Zone Supporter

14,461 Messages
    1,664 Likes Received
    Baby Hawk is adorable. Seems like one of those happy all the time babies.
    5Stars likes this.
  3. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,722 Messages
    1,809 Likes Received
    He sure looks like he loves his daddy...:D
  4. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,884 Messages
    4,455 Likes Received
    Not sure but I read that more as being a technician rather than relying on pure strength. And I've heard of OL who relied on technique. People who know say Free has a problem with his punch and his hands technique. I'd add lack on consistency and aggressiveness at times as well.
  5. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Alex Albright running with the ones..

:cool:
  6. CooterBrown

CooterBrown Well-Known Member

1,621 Messages
    329 Likes Received
    I'm beginning to think Callahan likes that idea too. Arkin seems to have settled into the 1st string RG position. It is early, and Livings and Berny have been nicked up, but even with Costa and Kowalski available, Arkin played with the 1s. Now Leary is back, and he seems to be working almost exclusively at LG.
    Yeah, I saw the rumor that Brian Waters might be signed, but I'm skeptical about that. I see that as Derrick Dockery II.

This is Arkin's third year and I think they want him to start. I also think that the preseason games will determine whether he has a future here.
    jobberone likes this.
  7. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,191 Messages
    2,787 Likes Received
    Archer says..."With Durant sitting out Alex Albright is with the starters."

So I guess Durant is the actual starter with AA running second team.

But wait...

Archer later says... "Ernie Sims with 1s now. Good stop on Murray"

Archer thought Sims looked so good playing with the 1's, that after yesterday's practice he felt compelled to write an article on Sims titled, "Ernie Sims is a Hit"

In it, Archer says:

The rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4711376/ernie-sims-is-a-hit

A few days ago, Archer wrote this about Sims:

Link: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4711227/5-wonders-rookie-class-looks-good
  8. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    You're reading too much into it.. Albright with the ones, man!

Haha, seriously though, yes i realize that he and Sims split reps with the ones because Durant was out, but hey.. he's still getting time with the ones over Magee and Holloman. Sims could be a beast.
    AsthmaField likes this.
  9. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,191 Messages
    2,787 Likes Received
    That is true, no Holloman or Magee, lol.

Sims was a beast in college, and now with his head on straight, he can be a real asset to a team. Particularly one that plays this style of defense... which he was made for.

Honestly, Sims is only 27 and is as athletic a LB as you can find. He certainly has the ability to win the starting SOLB job. As cheap as he's playing for, he can be a great deal for Dallas.

The only real downside is his concussion issues, which are real and could prevent him from ever becoming a starter you could count on.
  10. jobberone

38,884 Messages
    4,455 Likes Received
    I like Sims' speed. I'm just glad we have some depth and competition.
  11. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,191 Messages
    2,787 Likes Received
    Yeah, me too. I was really happy when he decided to re-sign back in Dallas. He's a real asset in this defense. And boy does he hit. At one time Adrian Peterson named Ernie Sims the guy he least liked to play against and called him the "Tasmanian Devil".

Here is a link to a good article that ESPN the Magazine came out with when he was a senior at Florida State:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3757045

Here is a snippet:

:eek: :D
    pancakeman and jobberone like this.
  12. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,191 Messages
    2,787 Likes Received
    Here is the piece where A Peterson calls Sims a Tasmanian Devil, lol.

Not bad for what we're paying him...

http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/...erson-wants-know-eagles-linebacker-ernie-sims
  13. jobberone

38,884 Messages
    4,455 Likes Received
  14. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,191 Messages
    2,787 Likes Received
    The guy is fast and quick as hell.

I remember when he came out in the draft... It was right around the time when Dallas was switching over to a 34 defense, so I knew there was no way in Hades that he was going to end up in Dallas, but I absolutely loved his game and his big striking ability. LB's like him, Lavonte David, Justin Durant, etc. are a big reason why I was never really a fan of moving away from a 43 defense. I love fast, uber athletic, big hitting LB's.

Now, even though he is only 27, Sims has matured and become much more a student of the game. He still has his ridiculous athleticism, but now he studies and works at his craft. Even as much of a mis-match as he was in last year's defense, he still played very well for us. In Kiffin's defense, he is a spot-on perfect match and as long as his concussion problems don't start surfacing, he should get every opportunity to make an impact for us this year.
    Staubacher likes this.
  15. jobberone

38,884 Messages
    4,455 Likes Received
    I was enamored by the guy last year. He did reasonably well last year but he looked a little tentative at times. My guess is he didn't know the defense well enough which is understandable. I'm loving what I'm hearing about some of these guys. He and Durant should push each other.
  16. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,191 Messages
    2,787 Likes Received
    Yeah, they should have a pretty good battle in camp for SOLB... and before RoyTheHammer gets upset, I will say Albright has a shot too.
  17. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    lol

I don't get upset over what fans on this site think. Im just watching the reports and seeing what the coaches are doing with him.
  18. coult44

coult44 Well-Known Member

1,626 Messages
    929 Likes Received
    I have a question...How do you know Free has turned it around? The last 14-16 games I seem him play in, he was the worst player on the field. He literally should have been cut before getting undressed in a few of those games. He hasn't done anything to prove otherwise since we last seen him. Two weeks of camp, one which was without pads, has done nothing for me to change my opinion of him. If he plays better and does not help this team lose games, like he did last year, then I will change my opinion. I don't dislike him because of who he is, I dislike him because he's horrible!!! He's slow, he's week (fineness player sorry,) and he's dumb. Again, this is all based totally on his game time performances, not because of who he is or because I have a pet cat. I wish I did, but I see nobody with a ton of potential waiting to take his spot.
    dallasfan4lizife likes this.
  19. jobberone

38,884 Messages
    4,455 Likes Received
    Well, since I almost completely disagree with your assessment then I'm not sure my opinion would matter. I thought Parnell would provide more competition and I think he will at some point.
  20. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,417 Messages
    3,747 Likes Received
    I agree he has played poorly what I am going by is how he is doing now. As for who starts or who makes the team I don't care it is the players job to go out and earn it. If Free does not go out and earn it cut him or place him as a backup but unlike you I do think players develop and improve I know this because I watched guys over the years who went from the dumps to becoming pretty solid pros. Tunie was one so was Newton they both looked like crap in Dallas but the franchise hung in there with them and they did become very good players. Will this happen with Free? I don't know I also know some fan sitting in his living room does not know. Coaches work day in and day out with these players they know a lot more than what many of you credit them with.