1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Team Penalty Trends 2010-2012

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by perrykemp, Jan 7, 2013.

1. blindzebra

blindzebra Well-Known Member

9,481 Messages
    743 Likes Received
    Seems like after every game we talk about officiating being bad.

Not saying there is a fix but game in and game out it sure seems like if it is close we get called for it, while our opponent gets away with blatant stuff.

Take that over a full schedule and it has to impact the stats.
  2. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,993 Messages
    1,766 Likes Received
    I don't believe that there is an anti-Cowboy bias in the officiating for a second. All NFL fans of all NFL club basically share the sentiment and I've never bought into it or seen any hard evidence of it.
  3. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,690 Messages
    1,396 Likes Received
    We improved quite a lot in penalties it seemed to me when we benched Free for series at a time.

If guys make mistakes you pull them.

Especially if it is a repetitive, mental mistake.
  4. blindzebra

9,481 Messages
    743 Likes Received
    Well when I see Hall mugging Dez all game without a flag and then see him called for illegal contact against Seattle's #3 WR I have to wonder.
  5. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,132 Messages
    322 Likes Received
    sometimes players that are physically outmatched commit penalties. I'd willing to wager that the majority of these were O-line penalties.
  6. Venger

Venger Well-Known Member

2,475 Messages
    403 Likes Received
    Okay, I am gonna ask - are the pre snap penalties in any way Romo centered? And I ask this as a huge Romo fan, but it seems to me that when examining this issue the QB needs to also be seen as a potential source - cadence, too many pre snap changes/audibles, etc. Just askin' folks... not sayin', just askin'...
  7. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    I think penalties is a discipline/coaching thing and one of my bigger issues with Garrett. I know its a lower level sample but when I played high school ball our coach was a real stickler for stupid plays...penalties, missed assignments, etc. In film sessions we would constantly be drilled on this stuff. In practice we would run plays until we got it right..not just going through the motions. We would run laps, do updowns, etc for stupid/negative plays until the discipline was drilled into our heads. I know most NFL teams barely have enough time to go over scheme but it floors me that this issue happens with the Cowboys. To me Garrett isn't doing his job. I also want to know what the coaches do conditioning wise because late in games when you need that concentration, sometimes conditioning comes into play.
  8. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Remember when penalties were all Wade's fault, when Garrett couldn't wait to get down to business and clean up this mess but was handcuffed because he was so respectful of the chain of command?

Good times.
  9. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    It's all part of the process - wherein "process" is the laundry list of excuses made up to excuse Jason Garrett's failings - not just as a head coach - but as a coach of any sort.

Don't worry, it will all be fixed next year. Trust me. Landry, Bellichick, Cleveland, etc.
  10. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,718 Messages
    686 Likes Received
    We seem to place the responsibility of penalties on the coach more than the players. Fair enough. But my question is, what are some things, realistically, that Garrett could/should do to decrease this. We talk about holding players accountable, but are you really going to bench Jason Witten for a false start, when it's now 3rd and 7 at midfield, with a minute to go and we need to score? Is it scheming? Conditioning/Fatigue? Is it lack of focus? How can you get players to focus better? Is it an overall culture that fails to promote discipline? How can that discipline be improved?
  11. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    To me this is the biggest difference in the Falcons and the Cowboys. They are always one of the least penalized teams and have great attention to detail. We play like we are the 82 Raiders and just better than everybody. It is the one things that sticks out most in the difference in the words of Garrett and the performance of his team.
  12. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,426 Messages
    1,684 Likes Received
    That's a myth. BPs teams were always in the top 10...and that's with Flozell.
  13. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,176 Messages
    2,237 Likes Received
    Ughh, that's ugly.

It seemed like the penalties went down in the second half of the season though...not sure.
    Part of penalties comes from lack on continuity--but that only explains variation duiring a season not for three year spans.

In any case, it really is inexcusable.
  14. pjtoadie

pjtoadie Cleveland's #1 Cowboys fan

1,951 Messages
    508 Likes Received
    In 2006 which was Bill's last season with the Cowboys they were ranked 20th (least to most) in penalties.
  15. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,359 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    is there a way to see what team benefited the most from each type of penalty?

like for example how many times cowboy opponents were called for roughing the passer?
  16. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,176 Messages
    2,237 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
    Now you know that is rare. They have to decapitate him to get that call....more often than not.
  17. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,359 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    also the cowboys were second in the league for percentage of pass plays, only three playoff teams in the top 17 for that stat and only one within the top ten.

we need more balance
  18. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,213 Messages
    1,256 Likes Received
    There is no mathematical correlation between *total* penalties and wins/losses in the league.

None.

However, there is a correlation between offensive penalties and wins/losses in the league according to FootballOutsiders.com. I don't think it's a strong mathematical correlation, but I think it is decent enough mathematically to take note of.

That's really the problem with Dallas...we make a lot of offensive penalties. But some other team may make a lot of penalties, but keep them to the defensive side and not be affected by them as much.

YR
  19. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,213 Messages
    1,256 Likes Received
    Yes, they are.

It was discussed early in the year when they had 'cadence issues.' And the offense and Romo always get into trouble when he starts making last second adjustments. Very difficult, particularly on the road, to know what the changes are the more times you adjust, particularly at the last second. Sometimes you just have to line up and execute.

But, the O-Coordinator has to get Romo to stop that as well.

YR
  20. blindzebra

9,481 Messages
    743 Likes Received
    The biggest issue is we are low on the list in avg starting field position and takeaways.

When you are always facing 75-85 yard drives any offensive penalty can cost you points.