1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Team Penalty Trends 2010-2012

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by perrykemp, Jan 7, 2013.

1. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,901 Messages
    1,656 Likes Received
    Early in the year we had a couple of drive where they went about 130 yards just to score. Even 80 would have been nice.
  2. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Active Member

370 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    It's the penalties in the red zone that really killed is, very frustrating. We have enough trouble scoring TD's in the red zone without being pushed back every series
  3. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,714 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    ...in identifying the pre-snap penalties. The ones that occur before the ball even moves.

Those in my opinion are the most egregious ones because they speak directly to execution and focus.

They tack on unecessary yards and have very little bearing to actual competition in the game except to make it harder for the team that commits the errors.
  4. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,714 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    ...should be sanctioned and penalized to the bottom of the roster for playoffs and games next year.

How they reffed the Cowboys/Skins game was embarassing. It was made more obvious by the work of the following week's crew with the Skins against the Hawks.
  5. Bill Wooten

Bill Wooten Active Member

616 Messages
    43 Likes Received
    Or never tell him to do it. If Garrett didn't want Romo making adjustments in the last 10 seconds of the play clock, it wouldn't happen. You can blame it on Romo all you want, but that is by direction from the OC. If the o-line can't handle it, then the OC needs to adjust the gameplan.
  6. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,934 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    Really? Here are the 10 most-penalized teams this season --

St. Louis Rams 130
    Baltimore Ravens 121
    Dallas Cowboys 117
    Washington Redskins 116
    Cleveland Browns 113
    Seattle Seahawks 110
    San Francisco 49ers 109
    Oakland Raiders 109
    Houston Texans 108
    Tennessee Titans 106

That's five playoff teams out of the bottom 10. The records of those 10 teams, in descending order -- 12-4, 11-4-1, 11-5, 10-6, 10-6, 8-8, 7-8-1, 6-10, 5-11, 4-12. That's a combined 84-74-2 for the 10 most-penalized teams in the league -- a winning percentage of .531, compared with a winning percentage of .486 (171-181) for the 22 least-penalized teams.
  7. phildominator

phildominator Member

672 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    In other words, being in the Top 10 for most penalties is where we want to be.
  8. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,934 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    Not necessarily. We just shouldn't care as much about the total number of penalties as some people think.

What we should care about is untimely penalties -- such as on a critical third-down play when the defense needs (and gets) a stop, but a dumb penalty gives the opponent a first down.
  9. phildominator

phildominator Member

672 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    If I'm a statistician, I want to know total number of penalties - accepted AND declined. Declined penalties strongly indicate that the other team got a more favorable outcome.

For a playoff team like the 49ers, I'd be curious to see if more penalties were accepted because their defense got a sack or other positive play.

Conversely, I wonder how many Cowboys penalties were declined since the opposition, say, preferred their 25-yard gain as opposed to our defense committing a 5-yard offsides penalty.

While the accepted penalties may be a comparable amount, total penalties may show a more significant and telling divide.
  10. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,083 Messages
    266 Likes Received
    like Hatcher's
  11. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,834 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    Get a line that can hold their water.
  12. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,926 Messages
    268 Likes Received
    no they werent save for one year, we finished, 10th,8th,10th and 21st.
  13. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,926 Messages
    268 Likes Received
    3 top ten finished and one bad year, dont try to make out like it was a major problem under Parcells like it is with Red because thats just a downright lie.
  14. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,687 Messages
    1,136 Likes Received
    That's a post I made after the ATL game so I'm not sure exactly where we are now. The point is, that regardless of stats relative to the league, this team commits far more penalties than Bill's teams ever did.
  15. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,630 Messages
    639 Likes Received
    All of that has been checked as to mathematical correlation to winning and losing. The only penalties that have a correlation are offensive penalties.

As far as procedural offensive penalties go, I don't know if I would blame them all on lack of focus. It's more about being in sync with what the QB is doing. Romo does too much pre-snap adjustments, particularly last second. I've been saying this for years. Yes, he needs help from the coaching staff in this issue. But, it's probably his biggest weakness from a strategic standpoint.

YR
  16. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,150 Messages
    1,286 Likes Received
    Offsides, Delay of Game and False starts- combined we had more of them then any other team. THAT is where it really hurts.