1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Techie help!!! Regarding DVDs

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Cajuncowboy, May 9, 2004.

1. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have a DVD player and a PS2. I am having a problem when I play DVDs in either of these machines in that it gets part way through the movie and it starts to freak out and gets those digital blocks on it and then skips chapters and such. It's not just one movie it's most all of them on both players. But when I put the disks into my Computer they play fine. Anyone have a solution for this or know what is the problem. I did buy a dvd cleaner that you put into the systems to clean them but it hasn't worked. By the way the ps2 games work fine in the ps2. ANy help or advise would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Aussie Cowboy

Aussie Cowboy Member

93 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I sometimes have this problem with rented DVD's because they aren't looked after properly. Not sure if that is your problem.
  3. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm sure it's not that because we are fairly Anal retentive when it comes to that kind of stuff keeping them in good condition. I can't seem to figure out what the problem is though. :(
  4. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,768 Messages
    2,842 Likes Received

Are these ones you are trying to play....recorded DVDs?

Is your DVD player an older one?

I went and got a DVD burner for my computer....And it records most DVDs fine....however they will NOT play on my DVD home theater system and if they do it is so slow and choppy that you can not watch the DVD.

The DVD home theater system is 3-4 years old ...however I think due to the newer encoding that some DVDs are using (and with the recorded ones) the system does not support the decoding part of it.

I paid Quite a bit for the DVD system at the time...and then I went and got the cheapest Apex DVD player that I could find (around $50 at the time) and it plays all of the DVDs even the recorded ones.

I think it has to do with the encoding and decoding being newer in many of the DVDs...funny thing though is that if I buy a DVD or Rent one I do not have the problem...only if I record them and try to play them on the older DVD system.
  5. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,522 Messages
    192 Likes Received
    It could be the result of data rot. Also PS2 DVD playback has bee quite troublesome since its initial launch.

As far as your DVD player, what kind is it? Is it still under warranty?

There are a lot of cheaper brands out there and sometimes they have a lot more quality escapements. I will suggest you try a friends DVD player, so you can rule out it is not the DVD player.

6. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,849 Messages
    857 Likes Received
    If you are burning dvds than the awsner is quite simply that burnt dvds hold less data thus the lesser performance.
    Try dvdshrink(free, just search in google or p2p) and other products to see what works best for your players to decipher.

If these are store bought then you may need firmware upgrades on Both systems which basically means they are outdated.
  7. BadMeetsEvil

BadMeetsEvil New Member

123 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just to note -- Apex's are the best DVD players out there. They aren't all flashy or have a big name to them but they do the job and then some. For the price you can't beat it.
  8. jamez25

jamez25 Active Member

1,616 Messages
    8 Likes Received
  9. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,000 Messages
    1,019 Likes Received
    2nd tech post i read from bp and both balls on accurate. (other being don't mess with raid if that's all your doing).

this is *everything* to do with encoding. DVD-R DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD +-R and RW - and not all formats will play on all players. don't even get into DVD-RAM.

your burner will play it cause it knows the format. computer dvd drives are more forviging usually. high end players don't focus on wide compatibility like apex does. you won't get the "performance" from an apex, but $ for $ it's the best buy out there. i just can't hook an apex to my denon or klipsch or hdtv - i'd feel "dirty".