1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Telephone shots hurting the fun

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by fiveandcounting, Apr 29, 2011.

1. fiveandcounting

fiveandcounting New Member

1,592 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Seems each year they do a "better" and "better" job at having cameras in the face of the next pick speaking to the team about to chose them. It's ruining the draft as a tv show. Why do that? Why make the podium announcement anti-climactic for about 40 of the first 50 picks? Add in this prime time nonsense and spreading it over three days. Its not the fun viewing experience it once was.
  2. brickman

brickman Active Member

1,356 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    My son and I said the same thing last night. It tokk the suspense out of it.
  3. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,744 Messages
    748 Likes Received
    I agree, I think it's stupid to show the players before the pick is announced. Especially since there is usually still several minutes before they actually get their names announced.

They need to show the reaction shots afterwards, even if the calls happen before.

I really do hate the way they've changed the draft format in general, spreading it out over 3 days is stupid.
  4. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

6,668 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    Especially when they show the next pick on the phone before the current is announced. So now you know the next two picks before they get to the stage.

The problem is reduced time a team has to pick now and the networks wanting to be the first to report the pick.
  5. davey999

davey999 Well-Known Member

1,416 Messages
    232 Likes Received
    I totally agree. Time to stop that. Keep the players in the back with no cameras or media.
  6. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,809 Messages
    3,297 Likes Received
    I prefer the weekend thing also.
  7. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,069 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    I agree. They should just wait until the pick is announced at the podium. The best part of the draft is the suspense leading up to the Commissioner's announcement of the selected player.
  8. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,890 Messages
    625 Likes Received
    Agree, last night when the Texans picked Watt was celebrating and Chucky was taking with Kiper about who they might go with because they didn't see it. Awkward and no suspense. I like the full Saturday of laying around and watching too.
  9. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Active Member

5,015 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I've been saying this for years. You would think someone in tv and the nfl would have a brain and figure it out. The fun is the unknown suspense of hearing the pick announced. Its like someone telling a kid what's in the package as he is picking it up to unwrap it.

Don't get me started on the new 3 day format. Goddell ought to be removed as commish just for that ridiculous move. I know they argue ratings but the ruined the viewing plaeasure for a lot of long time draftniks who loved looking forward to the weekend draft once a year. I won't even be off work today before the 2nd rd starts.
  10. pjtoadie

pjtoadie Cleveland's #1 Cowboys fan

1,910 Messages
    467 Likes Received
    I totally agree! There was zero suspense on who was to be drafted before Goodell announced it. I think there was one they showed right when they were on the clock? I think it was Castonzo being drafted by Indy? I also hate the three day draft nonsense! If you want to do it in Primetime why not do it Friday night for the 1st round, Saturday for rounds 2-3 and Sunday for rounds 4-7?
  11. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Multiple networks is the problem.

Neither NFLN nor ESPN want to be the second to report a pick. It's an arms race.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,666 Messages
    1,470 Likes Received
    :signmast:
  13. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Agreed. The phone spoilers are a real drag. Remember when the draft had some suspense?
  14. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Most of these kids don't remember what life was like without smart phones. :rolleyes:
  15. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I remember the draft in the 1980s being held on a weekday afternoon, and not knowing who we picked until I got home from school.
  16. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

8,316 Messages
    962 Likes Received
    Some good posts and I agree. Takes out the suspense, especially as the clock runs out. Did they pick, trade, pass.

also liked the weekend tiime much better. I can see the rediced 15 minutes down to 10, or maybe make it 12 minutes. With that important of pick, and millions of $$$$ at stake. They need that extra few minutes. Even though with allthe time they spend leading upto the draft, they really already know. So maybe it just gives time for possible trades.

Anyway, I'm ok with the time limit, but change it back to the weekend, and keep the camera's off the players untila fter the pick.