1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Tell me about... Netbooks!

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by CliffnMesquite, Sep 19, 2010.

1. CliffnMesquite

CliffnMesquite Active Member

4,092 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    My laptop suffered terminal system failure due to the gravitional attraction of the Earth. In other words I dropped it. (I blame the cat) Anyway I'm thinking about replacing it with a "Netbook" I know I'll have to get an external USB optical drive if I want to load softwear on it, but other wise how do "Netbooks" differ from regular laptops? Aside from size of corse.

I have been ogeling a Sony Vio (sp?) netbook.

Thanks.. :)
  2. Meat-O-Rama

Meat-O-Rama Vegetarians are so stupid.

2,221 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Well, as the name implies it's a notebook for doing internet stuff. Emailing, browsing, social networking. It'll handle productivity stuff like MS office.

It's going to be on the slower side because it will have a more energy efficient processor, the graphics are not going to be good enough for much in the way of gaming, and the screen size is going to be fairly small. Lastly, the upgrade options are minimal.
  3. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Avoid NetBooks like the plague. They will never meet your expectations. They are extremely weak in the memory and CPU (ie muscle) category. My daughter screamed bloody gore until we got her one for ******mas. She doesn't use it cause it sucks. I can't even install our printer driver on it cause it can't handle it.

Get a real laptop, netbooks are a complete and total shame. (and thats coming from a Internet Infrastructure Engineer and Architect)
  4. CliffnMesquite

4,092 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Okay.
  5. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,700 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    I have a Netbook as a backup...

I originally bought an HP... it sucked so I took it back...

From reading several reviews, I bought an Acer and we really like it...

I doubled the RAM off the bat and optimized it...

It works pretty well and I even run Photoshop on it... it is a little slower, but adequate for emergency graphics...

The Acer runs well and has been very reliable...
  6. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,665 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    I've got an old Dell Mini 9 with OS X installed that I liked very much for web browsing, but the hangs are starting to drive me batty. It's not that it freezes, so much as it takes 3 times longer to do anything, whether it's loading a web page or opening program.

This is all fine and dandy at first, but it will slowly drive you mad.

They do have new, faster processors for netbooks, but I haven't experienced them first hand yet.

OVerall though, I paid less than $150 for the thing on a deal, and it's tough to complain about that.
  7. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,854 Messages
    1,648 Likes Received
    I have an MSI Wind that I take with me.

It does the job just fine. If it is is going to be your primary computer, I wouldn't go for one but if you are going to use it to take with you and just check out the net, play music, or whatever I don't see any problem with it.
  8. dback

dback Member

808 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    The video cards are usually stripped down and usually only include hardware to decode some of the popular video formats out there. I have experienced problems connecting Netbooks to HDTVs and getting the resolutions set properly.

If you had the money, you could go with the Sony Z-series laptops. They are small, full featured, and quite expensive (start around $1900). My boss has used them for the last 5 years and they are quite nice.
  9. 63echo

63echo Member

279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Over the last year, I've owned a couple of Acers, an Asus, and a Gateway. I travel A LOT so portability is very important to me, especially after lugging around a "desktop replacement" Alienware for the last couple years. That thing was a monster.

I'm actually pretty happy with the Gateway. It's well-equipped with a dual-core processor (AMD), an 11.6" screen, 2 gb ram, and Win7Premium. It will never get confused with my other laptops or my desktop, but it's more powerful than you might imagine and I have had no problems running Office, DVDFab, and the few games I've tried on it so far (Braid and Fate 2). For $350, I'd absolutely buy it again.

The Acers (XP) I had were nice, but the Asus (Win7 Starter) just stunk. I love their motherboards, but their Netbook needs major work. It just feels cheap with plastic seams all over the place and a flimsy lid and after a day of owning the Asus, I couldn't take it anymore so I wiped the drive and installed Ubuntu. It was a bit better, but performance still seemed to lag way behind the Acers even though I'd helped matters by ugrading to 2gb ram. It's also the only one I've ever broken: I yanked on it a little hard and pulled the AC connector on the machine off its moorings. I was actually happy I'd done that because it allowed me to upgrade to the Gateway.

If I were you, I'd probably confine my searches to those Netbooks running XP. Most of these machines just aren't powerful enough to run Win7 to make you happy and most run Win7 Starter which you'd probably want to upgrade to Premium anyway (another $80). The machine I'm using now, though, seems to be an exception since it's running Win7 just fine.
  10. Gus

Gus Member

128 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    About three months ago I purchased an ASUS Eee PC Seashell 1001PX-MU27-BK 10.1-Inch Netbook.

I use it in addition to my older Dell desktop: It's portable, lightweight and I use it to surf the internet and email folks. I don't game with it or run memory/processor-slowing programs--it is perfect for my needs.

I also have no issues with Windows 7. Again, it's exactly what I need it for. Shop around, too: I got it for 260.00 at TigerDirect.com...new.

One thing about I really like is that it's a matte black finish so it doesn't show fingerprints on the outside of the casing or even the screen (not that I touch the screen)
  11. CliffnMesquite

4,092 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Mainly I will use it for the Net and photo/video storage. So...
    Hummm. Maybe I'll stick with a laptop.
    PHP:
  12. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have an ASUS Eee PC netbook too and love it. I use it mostly as a recreational toy. It's great when I'm laying on the couch with the TV on. Sits on my stomach ... I websurf, check out CowboysZone, check e-mail, etc. It handles YouTube videos just fine. I've often used it for Skype and it works fine.

It is light and small. It doesn't get hot. Nice to take to a coffee shop with wireless. Keyboard is smallish and so a bit awkward too type much.

Mine has worked great for the past year and a half. I bought one for my daughter this past May from Best Buy. Hers died within a month, so she returned it and the replacement is working perfectly.

I was going to upgrade the memory, never got around to it, and then decided there was no point given what I (don't) use it for.

I'd never use it as my primary computer. I've got a desktop at work and a couple of other laptops at home. But I thoroughly enjoy playing around on the Eee.
  13. CliffnMesquite

4,092 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Update! I picked up a Toshiba netbook. :)
  14. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    For your next purchase I suggest going to Best Buy, getting a netbook and insuring it with their Black Tie protection plan. Unlike a warranty, it protects you in case you drop your netbook, and normal every day, wear and tear. Even if it gets stolen they'll replace it.
  15. CliffnMesquite

4,092 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Too late! :( They mentioned it but I declined.
  16. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :thumbup: enjoy!
  17. CliffnMesquite

4,092 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    I took back the Net book and bought a laptop. I's so fickel... :)