1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Texans Picks... #1, #33, #65, #98,#170,#251

Discussion in 'Draft Day Zone' started by Hostile, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,784 Messages
    2,514 Likes Received
    [IMG] Selections [IMG]

#1 DE Mario Williams NC State

[IMG]
    Position: DE
    Class: Jr
    School: NC State
    Conference: Atlantic Coast
    Ht., Wt.: 6-7, 290
    40 Time: 4.66

Grading System

BIO: Three-year starter awarded All-Conference and All-American honors since his freshman campaign. Posted 55/20/13 last year after 57/15/6 as a sophomore.

POSITIVES: Gifted athlete who takes over games and dominates the opposition. Explosive, plays with tremendous pad level and has a burst of speed in every direction. Constantly doubled by opponents yet splits blocks, flashes on the scene and gets tremendous force driving up the field. Flattens off the edge making plays in pursuit or strings plays out laterally. Fluid and possesses outstanding movement skills.

NEGATIVES: Likes to pin his ears back and take off up the field. Does not always use his size as an advantage. Needs to be prodded at times.

ANALYSIS: An exceptional athlete with a great amount of upside potential, Williams has the skills to be labeled an impact defensive player. Moving around the field like a linebacker, he has the ability to force the action on a three-down basis. Needs to complete his game and learn to play hard for 60 minutes yet has All-Pro potential.

DeMeco Ryans LB Alabama

[IMG]

Position: OLB
    Class: Sr
    School: Alabama
    Conference: Southeastern
    Ht., Wt.: 6-1.5, 236
    40 Time: 4.7

BIO: Three-year starter awarded All-Conference honors the past two seasons and honored as an All-American in .05. Totals last season included 76/16/5 after 78 tackles as a junior. Posted 126 tackles during his sophomore campaign. All-Academic performer throughout college.

POSITIVES: Productive weak-side linebacker shooting up draft boards. Efficient, immediately reads the action and takes good angles to the ball-handler. Gets depth on drops and displays ball skills in coverage. Resilient, very instinctive and immediately reacts to the action. Solid in pursuit and is rarely off his feet.

NEGATIVES: Lacks bulk and playing strength, and sometimes has tackles broken.

ANALYSIS: An intelligent prospect who graduated in seven semesters, Ryans offers plenty of upside for the next level. A potential starter at several linebacker positions, expect him to break in with the first team as a rookie.

Charles Spencer OL Pittburgh

Position: OG
    Class: 5Sr
    School: Pittsburgh
    Conference: Big East
    Ht., Wt.: 6-4.5, 352
    40 Time: 5.36
    Selected by: Houston Texans
    Round 3, pick 1 (65 overall)
    Grading System

BIO: Former defensive lineman who moved to the offensive side of the ball as a junior, then proceeded to win All-Conference honors the following two years. Used at left tackle as a senior after playing guard the prior year.

POSITIVES: Big, strong blocker with a good degree of upside. Athletic, plays with leverage and moves opponents off the line. Displays good hand punch, pushes rushers from their angle of attack and works assignments. Effective position blocker on the second level. Patient in pass protection and anchors at the point.

NEGATIVES: Lacks blocking range and top footwork. Poorly conditioned and seemingly skates through plays at times.

ANALYSIS: Ever-improving on the offensive line, Spencer made major strides in his game the past two years. Has starting potential at the next level yet must put forth consistent effort and properly condition himself.

#66 (from Saints)

Eric Winston OT Miami

[IMG]

Position: T
    Class: 4Sr
    School: Miami (FL)
    Conference: Big East
    Ht., Wt.: 6-6.5, 310
    40 Time: 4.97
    Round 3, pick 2 (66 overall)
    Grading System

BIO: Former tight end who moved into the starting lineup as a sophomore. All-Conference selection as a senior and awarded the Jacobs Trophy as the top lineman in the ACC. Started the first four games of his junior campaign, then suffered a torn ligament in his left knee, ending his season.

POSITIVES: Athletic blocker with terrific upside for the next level. Patient, makes effective use of angles and is a strong position blocker. Stays square, jolts defenders with hand punch then turns them off the line. Blocks with good lean and a wide base. Alert and works well with teammates. Displayed improved blocking strength as a senior.

NEGATIVES: Lacks top blocking range and is not quick-footed. Did not distinguish himself during his senior campaign.

ANALYSIS: A former top-10 selection prior to his knee injury, Winston never seemed completely healthy in .05. Previously displayed the footwork and mobility teams want in a left tackle and could be a bargain in April's draft for a franchise patient with his recovery.

TE Owen Daniews Wisconsin

[IMG]

Position: TE
    School: Wisconsin
    Conference: Big Ten
    Ht., Wt.: 6-3.5, 253
    40 Time: 4.7

Grading System

BIO: Awarded All-Conference honors as a junior after totaling 25/391/2. Senior numbers were 22/268/4.

POSITIVES: Effective pass-catching tight end with a good feel for the position. Finds the soft spot in the defense, displays a sense of timing and has natural hands. Plays with good pad level and remains focused throughout the action.

NEGATIVES: Lacks strength at the point of attack. Marginally productive as a blocker. Does not play to his 40 time.

ANALYSIS: A former quarterback who has shown flashes of ability since making the move to tight end, Daniels must significantly elevate his level of play this summer. Practice squad player with developmental potential.

RB Wali Lundy Virginia

Position: RB
    School: Virginia
    Conference: Atlantic Coast
    Ht., Wt.: 5-10, 214
    40 Time: 4.55

Grading System

BIO: Posted 144/574/10 on the ground last season adding 15 receptions. Junior totals included 864 yards rushing with 17 touchdowns. Registered 227/929/10 on the ground as a sophomore.

POSITIVES: Productive ball carrier with solid size/speed numbers. Patient, waits for blocks to develop and displays excellent vision. Possesses a burst through the hole, weaves through defenders and runs with good lean. Keeps the play in bounds and picks up yardage off initial contact. Solid receiver who adjusts to the errant throw. Gives effort blocking, chipping opponents and disrupting their angle of attack.

NEGATIVES: Lacks the ability to quickly cut back against the grain or make defenders miss. Cannot run to daylight. Most productive seasons came early in career.

ANALYSIS: A versatile ball-handler who does the little things well, Lundy has the size and skill to be a feature runner at the next level. Must get his game back on track yet offers a good degree of upside.

#251 (Compensatory pick)

WR David Anderson Colorado State

Position: WR
    School: Colorado State
    Conference: Mountain West
    Ht., Wt.: 5-10.5, 192
    40 Time: 4.62
    Round 7, pick 43 (251 overall)
    Grading System

BIO: Three-year starter awarded All-Conference honors every year since his sophomore campaign. Senior totals included 77/1,095/8 after junior numbers of 72/1,293/9.

POSITIVES: Reliable receiver on the college level. Fluid releasing off the line, displays sharpness running routes and catches the pass away from his frame. Immediately transitions to running after the reception, keeps the play in bounds, and always works to pick up positive yardage. Displays outstanding eye/hand coordination as well as a sense of timing. Gets vertical over defenders or extends in a crowd for the tough grab.

NEGATIVES: Lacks an explosive burst of speed and is not a downfield threat. Loses out battling larger opponents.

ANALYSIS: The go-to guy since his sophomore campaign, Anderson is an instinctive football player with great mental intangibles. Could develop as a No. 5 receiver in the NFL.
  2. HugeTexanFan

HugeTexanFan New Member

31 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Texans will do Great this coming Season Go Houston!!!! :bow:
  3. hipfake08

hipfake08 Well-Known Member

4,295 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    They addressed both sides of the ball.
    Got a great player and another good LB.
    Plus the 2 O line guys.

Hopefully they help Carr stay upright a bit more.
  4. TLW47

TLW47 New Member

603 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They blew it big time by not taking Bush.
  5. Overalls

Overalls Benched

108 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Thank you for your opinion. You are however wrong.
  6. Bobo

Bobo New Member

911 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Overalls, do you visit every team's mb's as the Texans amb***ador?

Sorry, couldn't help it :D
  7. TLW47

TLW47 New Member

603 Messages
    0 Likes Received

We'll see. That's why they call it an opinion.
  8. TLW47

TLW47 New Member

603 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Texans will be better but it's kind of hard not to be when you have a 2-14 record. :rolleyes:
  9. TheKey

TheKey Faster than Felix

2,635 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    I think they made the right move, Bush is fragile.
  10. dargonking999

dargonking999 DKRandom

11,806 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    fully agree, he's already pulled a hamstring and they havent even put on helmets.
  11. HugeTexanFan

HugeTexanFan New Member

31 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Smart Man, Kubiak chose not to go with Hype and Popularity , I admire him for being carefull - he chose, I do think the Texans will do Awesome this Year!!:hammock:
  12. HTownCowboysFan

HTownCowboysFan New Member

1,912 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sure they will! :lmao2: :lmao2:

Memo to Texan Fans: quit hating the Cowboys more than you love you own team. Geez y'all kill me! The jealousy for the Cowboys in this town is absolutely hilarious. And quit running off NFL franchises. You'd been better off building the Oilers a stadium and keeping that franchise.

:starspin
  13. Overalls

Overalls Benched

108 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hey H-Town cowboy. I guess since you live in Houston you are just a band wagon jumping hater. Be glad of what you got, turn off the brokeback mountain DVD, and get a life.
  14. HTownCowboysFan

1,912 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Wow, that's really telling me! :lmao2:

I rest my case. :laugh2:
  15. Overalls

Overalls Benched

108 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Your right I guess my brokeback reference wasn't really an insult. It's your way of life and you should be allowed to live the way you want to. I'm glad you are able to be proud of your life stlye. One day you might be able to say, with pride, that the 'Girls have beaten the Texans. Probable not this year, but some day. Hold your head up and show everyone in H-town your bandwagon skills. They might laugh at you but hey you have the right to live your lifestyle.
  16. TLW47

TLW47 New Member

603 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That Brokeback stuff is lame! Can't you come up with something better than that?
  17. HTownCowboysFan

1,912 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Wow! A man of sharp wit you are! :laugh1:

Cowboy fans who don't live in Houston, let me let you in on how it is here. "Texan Fan" is consumed with hate AKA envy AKA jealousy for the Dallas Cowboys. As I said, they hate the Cowboys MORE than they root for their own team. It also kills them that Houston has a huge number of Cowboys fans here in town. Outside of Houston, Cowboys fans outnumber Texans fans by and large.

Memo to "Texan Fan:" Cowboys fans don't care about you are your team. The Texans are insignificant and will always be the #2 NFL team in Texas -- and that's number 2 by a LARGE margin. Cowboys fans hang our hat on Super Bowls; not a 19-10 win over a 5-11 team. Wow, what a achievement that was! :lmao:
  18. HTownCowboysFan

1,912 Messages
    0 Likes Received

He knows I'm right about Houston Cowboys hate, so he results to insults -- if you want to call those insults. :lmao2:
  19. TLW47

TLW47 New Member

603 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well I've lived in both cities so this is what I saw.

People in Dallas generally don't care about Houston teams one way or the other although I did have friends that had a rooting interest in the Rockets or Astros.

There are tons of Cowboy fans in the Houston area and that does rub the Houston people the wrong way; it has for years and it will continue to bother them.

Some of them even say as long as they beat the Cowboys their season was a success.

I prefer to be a smarter fan that that and root for my team to beat the teams not only in their own division but in their own conference.

But hey that's just me.:starspin
  20. Overalls

Overalls Benched

108 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Your right beating the 'Girls isn't much of an achievement