1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Texans the new leaders in Asomugha sweepstakes

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Doomsday101, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    The Houston Texans appear to be the leaders in the clubhouse for the services of free-agent cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, multiple sources have told NFL Network's Michael Lombardi.

Asomugha, widely considered the top player available in free agency, could land a contract in the range of $12-14 million per season from the Texans, according to Lombardi. That would make Asomugha the NFL's highest paid cornerback, eclipsing the average yearly salary of the four-year, $46 million deal Darrelle Revis signed with the New York Jets last offseason.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...omugha-sweepstakes?module=HP11_headline_stack
  2. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,712 Messages
    1,535 Likes Received
    Good for the Texans if they get him.

A big-time signing of a marquee player gets them noticed and also helps fix their biggest weakness.

And I think with even an average defense, they can contend for their division title.
  3. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It would be a smart move...
  4. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,467 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    Wonder is ole wade will have him line up 12 yards off the wr
  5. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

3,968 Messages
    308 Likes Received
    Nah he is really good it will be 10yards. :laugh2:
  6. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,645 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    yes he will... Especially on 3rd or 4th and 1....lol...good times:bang2:
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,628 Messages
    1,572 Likes Received

He had them line up 10 yds off on 3rd and short. Then tried to press on third and long.
  8. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    Just my view but I don't think he will live up to the 12 to 14 mill he is asking for. Shut down CB? I don't think so. People say QB did not throw at him? well why bother when there were other areas to attack and fact is when Dallas faced him we ate his lunch.
  9. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,555 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    If I were teams like the Texans, Cowboys, Bucs, Dolphins, I would use the no state income tax ploy in dealing with these FA. NY state income tax is very high.
  10. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,654 Messages
    1,105 Likes Received
    :facepalm:
  11. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Mosley has indicated repeatedly that when he asked about Nnamdi, the response was, "In our dreams".

So I don't think he was ever that realistic a consideration. He'll going to make a ton from someone.
  12. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    I'm not saying he is not a very good CB I am saying there are some very good CB out there who have been very productive and not raking in 12 to 14 million. How much good did it help the Raiders.
  13. stasheroo

17,712 Messages
    1,535 Likes Received

How much has anyone helped the Raiders?
  14. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,708 Messages
    1,921 Likes Received

So I guess they would rather pay Newman 9 mill this year than figure out a way to use that 9 mill towards Asomugha.
  15. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,002 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Maybe. Better front load that contract so you can cut him after 2-3 years without taking a major hit against the cap. I can't imagine he will be worth $16M/yr when he is 34.
  16. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,002 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Newman will be easier to cut after this year. Nnamdi Asomugha is 30 now and with a four year contract he will be 34 and probably owed $16-$17M on that fourth year.
  17. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    I think the guy is good but he is strictly a RCB he has not fared well when he has been moved around. at 12 to 14 million a team should be able to play him anywhere with no limits.
  18. stasheroo

17,712 Messages
    1,535 Likes Received
    Unfortunately it looks that way.

:mad:
  19. stasheroo

17,712 Messages
    1,535 Likes Received
    Conversely, if Newman is cut after this year, what do the Cowboys do then?

Hope they get one in the draft next year?

If you did sign Asomugha, you'd have several years to draft his eventual replacement.
  20. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,708 Messages
    1,921 Likes Received
    Yeah just give him his 4 years and if he declines just give him the Roy Williams treatment when he is 34.

Oh well. Looks like we'll be going DB in the 1st round next year unless Spencer turns in another performance like last than we'll be taking a OLB or DB.