1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill could be a top pick next draft.

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Jun 14, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    http://www.statesman.com/blogs/cont...t_pick.html?cxntfid=blogs_the_12th_word_at_am

NFLDraftScout.com currently rates (Nick) Foles as the top senior QB prospect in the 2012 draft. My fellow senior analyst Chad Reuter and I have begun our initial film review of the 2012 prospects and will be unveiling new rankings soon. Based on the work Chad and I have done thus far, Texas A&M’s Ryan Tannehill will be jumping to the top of the QB rankings.”
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,946 Messages
    3,458 Likes Received
    I like Tannehill but I think he has to really show more this season. Last year he had 12 TD and 6 ints not all that great in the college ranks.
  3. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,154 Messages
    2,230 Likes Received
    Case Keenum could be decent.

This raises a question that I'm sure many will be able to answer here:
    Who was the last really good or great NFL QB to come out of a Texas university?

I realize there are some here that would say VY (not me) but I'm sure that I'm missing someone. The jury is out on Kolb, but he certainly falls short at this stage. Colt could be solid, but very good or great may be asking a lot and agian, it's too early.

I know I'm missing somone
  4. DFWJC

23,154 Messages
    2,230 Likes Received
    Sammy Baugh...which was a lifetime ago) is one.
  5. Dawgs0916

Dawgs0916 Will the Thrill

2,194 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    WTH? Kolb is from the University of Houston.
  6. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    he did not start all season which is the issue with his stats. he also was their best wr for a few years the guy has the talent and should have started from day 1 last year anyways if he can build on what he did last year he will help his stock a ton
  7. Doomsday101

77,946 Messages
    3,458 Likes Received
    I agree. As I said I like him but he will really need to step up this season if he hopes to go high in the draft

Andrew Luck, Landry Jones, Nick Foles, Ryan Lindley, Tyler Wilson, Matt Barkley, John Brantley and Kellen Moore I think will enter this season ranked ahead of him but that can change
  8. DFWJC

23,154 Messages
    2,230 Likes Received
    Correct
    But are you saying Kolb is a great NFL QB already?
    I would think he would have to play at least one (and more like 3-4) full seasons to even begin that conversation.
  9. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As a big A&M fan, I can say with a great amount certainty that I would want no part of Tannehill. He is a great game-manager in college, but I really don't think he has the tools to be anything more than a career backup. He's just Stephen McGee with a slightly stronger arm and better pocket presence.
  10. DFWJC

23,154 Messages
    2,230 Likes Received
    You're an Aggie fan?
    :D
  11. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Class of 2008 :cool:
  12. DFWJC

23,154 Messages
    2,230 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
    That was tongue-in-cheek, Slant. It's extremely obvious that you're an Aggie fan...how could we miss it!
  13. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,630 Messages
    1,392 Likes Received
    Don Meredith
  14. joseephuss

21,630 Messages
    1,392 Likes Received
    I agree that Tannehill has to step up his game in order to leap towards the top of the draft. Most young QBs do. And he is very young as far as experience. I don't think looking at just his total TDs is a good evaluation considering he hardly played this past season. It was also his first year to really get any playing time at the QB position. Most of the other guys you listed have much more experience, so of course they have had time to hone their craft.

Tannehill had 13 TD passes in his 234 attempts, which is a TD every 18 attempts. That is not too bad.

Luck 1 per 11.6 attempts
    Jones 1 per 16.2 attempts
    Foles 1 per 21.3 attempts
    Lindley 1 per 15.0 attempts
    Wilson 1 per 12.8 attempts
    Barkley 1 per 14.5 attempts
    Brantley 1 per 36.6 attempts
    Moore 1 per 10.9 attempts

Many of these other guys did better, but again they have more experience. That matters.

Based on everything I have seen so far, I would take a chance on Tannehill. I would not take him in the first round. That would take him having a monster year. He may, he may not. I think given time he can be a good NFL QB even if his college numbers were never that great.
  15. Doomsday101

77,946 Messages
    3,458 Likes Received
    I agree with you I will say I would not even think about drafting him until he can go out and prove himself on the field this year. I like him but really need to see more out of him before I would even consider it.
  16. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,028 Messages
    1,893 Likes Received

I don't know that I'd take him high. A lot would depend on if he progresses and how he works out. The guy was playing TE before he moved back to QB, last season. He definitely has skills though. I'd take him later for sure. He's a winner IMO. The guy reminds me of a player Miami had years ago named Jensen. Guy played TE, WR and QB for Miami. He was just one of those guys that you could plug in and he could play.
  17. Doomsday101

77,946 Messages
    3,458 Likes Received
    I just think the next QB we draft will be a fairly high rated QB. I like Tannehill but 1 year at QB is not enough I would want to see much more from him. I see many of these jacks of all trades and master of none to be rare in the NFL, not saying there are not exceptions
  18. Cythim

Cythim Benched

1,691 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Here is the deal with Tannehill's 2010 production. He entered the season as a backup QB and the team's leading receiver from 2009. I don't think he was ever expected to play QB in anything more than spot duty during his career at TAMU. His first two games he absolutely dominated Tech and Kansas. After that he faced Oklahoma, Nebraska, Baylor, and Texas and pulled out wins with solid (not great) performances. Considering all of this, his stats and performance were pretty good. Give him a full offseason to prepare as the starting QB and I think he gets even better. One thing that definately helps him is having one of the best RB and WR groups in the Big 12.
  19. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    There really haven't been a lot of outstanding QB's from Texas Universities. Bobby Lane was a great one, although a different time and style of play than today's pass happy NFL. I can think of Tommy Kramer, Don Meredith, Sammy Baugh (not much to choose from in the last 20+ years) and a few others who had some NFL success, and there are some outstanding QB's from Texas who make big marks in the NFL but played college outside of Texas (YA Tittle, Drew Brees etc....), and some who played in Texas that had huge college careers but didn't do much in the NFL (Ware, Klingler, Kingsbury etc), but the reality is QBs who played at Texas Universities have not really fared well in the NFL.

Yes, which is a Texas University.
  20. joseephuss

21,630 Messages
    1,392 Likes Received
    Don't forget Wade Wilson. :D