1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Texas gun law battle brewing over 'open carry' proposal

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Maikeru-sama, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Posted on Sunday, 11.30.08

Texas gun law battle brewing over 'open carry' proposal
    By Anna M. Tinsley
    Fort Worth Star-Telegam
    They're setting their sights on Texas and coming out firing. More than a month before the legislative session starts Jan. 13, gun-rights supporters are asking state lawmakers to pass an "open carry" law to let Texans stop covering up the guns they carry and wear them openly.

They are putting their message on billboards, on banners on cabs and in radio ads, asking others to sign on to the cause.

"We are targeting Texas," said Mike Stollenwerk, co-founder of www.opencarry.org, a champion of the growing nationwide effort. "Texas is probably the most pro-gun state, but doesn’t have open-carry laws.

"As Texans realize how restrictive their rights are . . . there will be an awakening. Get ready for a showdown in Austin come January."

Texas is somewhat of an open-carry battleground because it is one of only six states where handguns cannot, in some form, legally be worn in plain view. Texas residents may carry concealed handguns if they have a permit.

link
  2. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :rolleyes:
  3. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,288 Messages
    71 Likes Received
    VA has open carry I don't see why Texas don't.
  4. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,708 Messages
    6,474 Likes Received
    I openly admit to being scared of guns. I wouldn't be a fan of something like this passing.
  5. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Personally, I just think this will spur a proliferation of guns, legally and illegally.

As much as I am for Gun Control, I would think real hard about getting a gun if I constantly saw other citizens openly carrying their guns.
  6. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,288 Messages
    71 Likes Received
    You would be suprised how many people don't open carry. In the past 7 years I have lived in VA I have seen one person open carry. Its just a nice option to have.
  7. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,271 Messages
    1,295 Likes Received
    why???
  8. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,288 Messages
    71 Likes Received
    Why not?
  9. Bonecrusher#31

Bonecrusher#31 Active Member

1,815 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    You see people with "open" guns in Phoenix everyday....

Its no big deal with me because I have concealed weapon permit :D
  10. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

61,094 Messages
    4,435 Likes Received
    You were the one who said it was a nice option to have, explain why you feel this. I am sure it does not only include the answer why not because that does not sound like a nice option.:cool:
  11. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,288 Messages
    71 Likes Received
    Perhaps the OP should explain why its not a nice option to have since they obviosuly disagreed. But I will humor you

Allows me to practice my 2nd amendment rights. If I want to carry one for protection I can. It gives me the option to defend myself without having to have a CCP. Honestly, would you prefer to see a gun someone was carrying or not?

People tend to calm down when they see you are armed. An armed society is a polite society.
  12. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I already did that.

And no, I don't want to see someone carrying a gun.
  13. iceberg

28,271 Messages
    1,295 Likes Received
    why is it a nice option? what good can come from living in tombstone and having open guns running around?

i don't see it, but i'm listening. "why not" isn't a very good reason.
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    Actually to me it would seem more logical to be allowed to openly carry vs concealed carry. If it is out in the open there are no surprises and no one can say they did not know. Maybe they were too stupid or unobservant to see but that would be THEIR problem.
  15. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,288 Messages
    71 Likes Received
    Sorry I meant Iceberg. What does it matter to you that I am carrying a gun? how does that affect you?
  16. iceberg

28,271 Messages
    1,295 Likes Received
    because i can't trust people behind the wheel of a car from not doing stupid things, yet i can trust anyone who can buy a gun to properly use it?

2nd amendment rights. heh, ok. when i hear this i hear copout and "me me me". maybe you can handle a gun. but that doesn't mean everyone can, or should. is the general welfare of the public more important than you feeling studly around town?

i hate guns for some very personal reasons. while i bought one a few years ago, it was for protection sure. but not to run around town and go "e ha". i still have not fired that gun and wonder if i should just sell it and lose the notion.

i'm all for people being able to have guns. but you have a gun to protect yourself you're expecting people to come after you. you'll be more paranoid. and when people start getting shot who are totally innocent, should the get the gun next and come back at you? i mean, they were innocent.

sorry. i see no reason in the world why we should allow anyone who can afford it and takes a class to walk down the street with a gun on their hip.
  17. iceberg

28,271 Messages
    1,295 Likes Received
    ok, i like bazookas. can i carry one around now? it's a firearm of sorts.

my brother killed his best friend when i was 8 with a .22 in an accident at home. my other brother and i came home to the mess that night and had to stay at a neighbors for hours on end in tears not knowing what happened while ambulances and policecars were in front of our house.

the next day i walked into the room to see my mom on her hands and knees scrubbing blood out of the carpet. it took 15-20 years before i could ever talk to my brother about it. it's quite possibly the reason why i got the gun, to try and get over it, and never shot it, never found the need in the end.

so forgive me if some dude i have no idea who he is wearing a gun next to me in the elevator makes me nervous. while you can cite that my story is an extreme instance and i'd dare not argue, i'd argue back that the need to actually use a gun in public is just as much an extreme occurance.

so please, at least stop the flippant "why do you care?" crap. you simply don't know why the person next to you would care and you don't seem to give a damn as long as you can carry your gun, how others may feel about it.

all about you.
  18. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    Frankly I would put a restriction ion it that you had to pass a state run training course before you can carry.
    Iceberg says he has never fired his weapon = which is a BIG MISTAKE.
    learn the quirks of an individual weapon not to mention being able to hit what you need to hit when it matters.
  19. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,288 Messages
    71 Likes Received
    So basically what you are saying is F the constitution or that it should only matter in places that you think it should. the 2nd amendment is not a cop out, if we start thinking that, it won't be long before other amendments will be cop outs. What's next? free speech? freedom of the press?

When was the last time you have seen someone go "e ha" and start waving a gun around, especially in an open carry state? Its doesn't happen, you are making an arguement on a speculative event that doesn't even happen in open carry states.

I don't expect people to come after me at all. it would take a lot for me to pull one out and shoot someone. I would have to feel very threated for that to happen. If I draw my weapon on someone I am shooting them and I am not going to jail, so I will make sure I am in the right. I don't go looking for trouble and I don't think I am billy bad *** for carrying a gun. Its a lot of responsibility. I don't know to many gun owners who walk around town like they are billy bad ***, in fact I have never seen a legal gun owner do something like that.

Just like you see no reason for people to carry guns I see no reason for them not to be able to exercise their rights. I have never felt uncomfortable with people carrying guns.

As far as you, I would suggest you take it to the range and get familier with it or just sell it if you are not going to take the time to get familier and stay familier with the weapon, you will only end up hurting yourself or someone else if you are not familier with it.

Truth be told, Obama getting elected had a more profound effect on gun and ammo sales than passing an open carry law ever would.
  20. iceberg

28,271 Messages
    1,295 Likes Received
    i'll stop reading now.

you win. you're not listening to me but congrats. you win.