1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Texas opens highway with 85 mph speed limit, fastest in America

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Doomsday101, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,119 Messages
    2,910 Likes Received
    SAN ANTONIO – On one brand new stretch of toll road southeast of Austin, Texas, you can cruise at 85 mph and not worry about being pulled over for speeding.

That’s because starting Wednesday, on this 41-mile segment of road, 85 mph is the legal speed limit. It’s the highest in the country, and some are wondering whether it might be a little too high.

The new section of toll road provides an alternative to I-35, the congested artery that’s the spine of the Texas highway system. People who have driven between San Antonio and Austin can attest to the traffic -- it can be bumper to bumper. In addition to long haul truckers headed from the border to the interior of the U.S. and back, there are also soccer moms hopping on and off to get to Walmart and thousands of suburban commuters headed into the office.

So an alternate highway makes sense, but why 85 mph? Clearly drivers want to get where they’re going faster, and at 85 mph, the new toll road potentially cuts the drive time from Austin to San Antonio in half.

The Texas Department of Transportation says although it’s fast, the new speed limit is safe. The road was designed for it. It’s straight and through rural areas. But critics point out the Transportation Department had a financial incentive to set the speed higher.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012...ca-opens-to-motorists-in-texas/#ixzz2ALEH9QAb
  2. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,163 Messages
    2,793 Likes Received
    I'd like the chance to drive on it. :)
  3. ologan

ologan Well-Known Member

3,752 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    Didn't see anywhere in the story what the toll is.
  4. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,592 Messages
    531 Likes Received
    I didn't notice a map either...
  5. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,072 Messages
    1,266 Likes Received
    I dont think I could make it to 85.
  6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,119 Messages
    2,910 Likes Received
    Well that was fast.

A Cadillac CTS-V has become the first car to break 200 mph on Texas’ new 85 mph highway.

And the cops approve!

But just this one time.

Hennessey Performance, builders of some of the fastest custom cars on the planet, including the 275 mph Venom GT, offered up one of their 1,200 hp Cadillac coupes to test the cameras fitted to the automated toll system on the brand new SH-130 toll road, which boasts the highest speed limit in the nation at 85 mph.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012...-texas-highway/?intcmp=features#ixzz2ALTFAWkT
  7. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    I already hit 85 when I take 281 from Fort Hood to San Antonio (longer route, but faster cuz you don't get suck in Austin Traffic) so I won't be trying out the toll road.

:D
  8. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,850 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    Depends on where you exit... it's a progressive toll road...

They are allowing free access through November 10...

It was already 80mph, driven on it many times...
  9. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,933 Messages
    1,000 Likes Received
    Now my average highway speed is only slightly illegal.
  10. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,237 Messages
    1,174 Likes Received
    I guess it depends on what part of SA you are trying to reach. Should not be very different in distance taking either US 281 or IH 35. You can either hit traffic in Austin by taking 35 or deal with traffic signals in the small towns along 281.
  11. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    I've gone both ways, many many many many times. 35 takes longer unless you get extremely lucky and don't hit a traffic jam where you're going about a mile per 20-30 minutes.

Those small towns are just that... Small. 1 or 2 lights doesn't slow me down much. :)
  12. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,577 Messages
    1,844 Likes Received
    The authorities love the "speed kills" mantra.

Speed doesnt kill, negligence kills.
  13. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,573 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    Yet another reason why I need to live in Texas.
  14. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    Depends what part of Texas.

I'm from Laredo (south texas) but currently am stationed at Fort Hood. I love it here, the whole central texas area (austin is really nice except for the traffic).

I love my hometown, but I could never live in south texas again (way. too. freaking. hot!)
  15. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,573 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    I'm dying to move to Austin or Dallas. I just wish you guys had more apparel manufacturing businesses there! Since you don't I'm stuck in NJ for a little longer.
  16. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke Fierce Allegiance

5,405 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    I saw a report on a local station this morn that said it was $6 if you went the whole 41 miles. That sound about right?
  17. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke Fierce Allegiance

5,405 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    Isn't there a stretch of highway in Montana that has no speed limit or did they do away with that?
  18. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,033 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    Too bad the local toll road things aren't doing what they were supposed to (ie take traffic off I35), but it did keep a lot of local A&M engineers employed for awhile. Built by a foreign conglomerat too, iirc.

It should be safe at 85, not likely to be much traffic other than other hotrodders....
  19. trickblue

28,850 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    Pretty much... $6-$10... depending on exit...

Still free through Nov 10 at this point...
  20. trickblue

28,850 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    Well you tax EVERY resident in Texas for expressways, then try to make money on them to boot by making it a tollway... not a good thing... and not fair...

Perry is an arse... along with those that go along with him... and our City Council member Chris Riley who attaches bike lanes to everything... or votes no...

They ALL were just busted for violating the public open meeting laws. They said they were sorry and would never do it again and signed a crap piece of paper saying so... they should all be in jail...

My next traffic ticket? "Oh I swear it will never happen again, I'll sign a doc"... yeah right... putzes and crooks...