1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Text Sender Sued for Allegedly Causing Driver to Crash

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by joseephuss, May 11, 2012.

1. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,329 Messages
    1,215 Likes Received
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...r-sued-for-allegedly-causing-driver-to-crash/

By Gillian Mohney
    May 8, 2012 3:15pm
    Email 3 Smaller Font Text Larger Text | Print

A New Jersey judge will rule this month whether a woman who sent a text message to the driver of a pick-up truck is partially liable for his subsequent crash into a couple riding a motorcycle.

The case stems from a 2009 accident when a then 19-year-old Kyle Best got into an accident while texting. Best was driving his pick-up truck and replying to a text he had just received from Shannon Colonna when his vehicle drifted into opposing traffic and slammed into David and Linda Kubert’s motorcycle.

The couple’s injuries were horrific with David Kubert losing his left leg above the knee during the accident and Linda Kubert having her leg later amputated below the knee as a result of her injuries.

After initially bringing a suit against Best for his role in the accident, the Kuberts’ lawyer, Stephen Weinstein, expanded the complaint to include Colonna as well.

“They were texting back and forth like a verbal conversation,” Weinstein told ABCNews.com. “She may not have been physically present, but she was electronically present.”

Weinstein says that Colonna should have known that Best was driving from work as she texted him since they had been corresponding for much of the day and she knew his schedule. Weinstein compared Colonna’s actions to that of a passenger who enables a drunk driver to break traffic violations.

However, Colonna’s lawyer argued that the then 19-year-old should not be held accountable for the actions of a driver when she was not even present in the vehicle.
  2. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    Stupid.

Take responsibility for your own actions.
  3. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Greedy freaking lawyers. Now the person that sent the text is going to have to spend a small fortune defending herself. Asinine.
  4. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,329 Messages
    1,215 Likes Received
    Both the person who received the text and the person who sent the text were sued by the victims.
  5. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,677 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received

you can bet she had done it before when she must have at least suspected he was driving. Have no problem with this at all.
  6. Hoofbite

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    I read over it a little too quick. Thought the lawyer for the receiver was bringing the sender into the mix.

Either way, it's absolutely ridiculous.

Why not just extend the suit to AT&T or Verizon for providing the couple with the ability to text?
  7. Hoofbite

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    That's pretty sad.
  8. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    so? he doesn't have to read the text and respond. If she is held accountable in any way for this, that is an extremely bad precedent to set.
  9. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

3,523 Messages
    724 Likes Received
    Then your messed up. The guy driving needs to take responsibility for his actions.
  10. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    the guy driving has nothing to do with it. He can't make the lawyers for the people he hit not sue the girl.
  11. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I have a splitting headache. Who can I sue?
  12. Lonestar94

3,523 Messages
    724 Likes Received
    :huh: That's not what I meant.
  13. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    ok, well what did you mean??
  14. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,281 Messages
    3,020 Likes Received
    The sender of the text was not at fault the man driving trying to respond is.

This type of stuff is a waste of time in our courts
  15. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,004 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Cars should have mobile block / jamming system in them so any type of mobile voice / data doesn't work if the car engine is running. Sure it would affect passengers too, but I think it's completely worth it.
  16. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,004 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Yes for both. They really need to crack down on lawyers who file frivolous suits. Huge fines and up to and including disbarment.
  17. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    this. X100
  18. Hoofbite

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    So if you are in danger and trying to drive away you have to shut the engine off to make a call?
  19. Lonestar94

3,523 Messages
    724 Likes Received
    Stupid
  20. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    yea, seemed not bad at first, but when you really think about it the idea is totally impractical