1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

TFY Draft Insider- Tyron Smith

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by johnnyd, Apr 4, 2011.

1. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    The Cowboys reportedly have USC OT Tyron Smith sitting atop their draft board heading into the home stretch.

It strains credulity that the team's brass would be that transparent with their intentions. Even with the popular dot connecting of Smith to Dallas at No. 9, we would take this as much less than gospel truth. If the Cowboys are unable to trade down, though, Smith does make sense as RT Marc Colombo's successor.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=5189

We continue to hear the Dallas Cowboys are looking to do to things in the draft with their first pick 1) trade down and 2) grab an NFL ready right tackle. If they cannot move the ninth pick we understand Tyron Smith presently sits atop their draft board. As we reported last week head coach Jason Garrett and line coach Hudson Houck were in Los Angeles for the USC pro-day and the team is scheduled to bring Smith in for a visit.

Petey trade up aside , I Think this is what most of us want .
  2. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,893 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    As much as I like Smith I'm really warming up to trading down and grabbing Sherrod and an extra 2. I think the 2nd round is going to have a lot of solid players that fit our needs mainly guards and corners.
  3. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,479 Messages
    1,403 Likes Received
    Yeah, if we are looking to draft a RT, it's probably in our best interest to trade down.

I'm questionable on Smith being NFL ready, but if you grab him, you have to grab him believing he can make the transition to LT.

Drafting him to play RT at #9 seems like a waste to me.
  4. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Backwoods Sexy Staff Member

62,420 Messages
    5,949 Likes Received
    I never knew you felt this way...quite a shocker to me. ;) :p:
  5. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,479 Messages
    1,403 Likes Received
    Have I told you about this guy I just heard about, Kenrick Ellis? :D
  6. Hostile

Hostile Jason Garrett's Loudest Supporter Zone Supporter

119,420 Messages
    3,673 Likes Received
    Trade up, not down. Quality over quantity worked in 2010. Quantity over quality failed miserably in 2009.

If not Peterson, Smith.
  7. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

4,024 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    ........ + 1
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

42,319 Messages
    2,014 Likes Received
    yeah. In other words never do 2009 again.
  9. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus

4,542 Messages
    386 Likes Received
    Why can't we have both like in '05? Stay put or trade down. No need to move up when we already have the 9th pick. I could see trading up if we needed a QB and one was sliding. That's worth it IMO. Our needs on the OL and safety are greater than those at CB. We limit our chances to fill multiple needs by moving up for Peterson.
  10. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,442 Messages
    2,595 Likes Received
    Quantity will work if you select the right guys.

If you trade back and get Carimi you just made a good pick and you're getting more picks.
  11. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree...
  12. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    I haven't heard of any plans to flush two of our first three picks for a veteran receiver, have you?

So I think we're safe.
  13. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,893 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    :bow:
  14. Primetime42

Primetime42 Well-Known Member

2,988 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    Or stand pat and get the stud. :D
  15. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

6,110 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    yes it does and so does playing him at LT this year since he has never played the position.

If you want a starting RT trade back, it doesn't have to be Smith. Carimi, Castanzo, or Sherrod can all do just as good of a job as Smith can at RT next year.
  16. supercowboy8

6,110 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    what makes SMith a stud. Some tell me, no one has yet to tell me how Smith is a stud. By doing this please do not mention his upside and/or potential. Just what he is now, what makes him a stud, what makes him better than Carimi, Castanzo, or Sherrod? Tell me how he isn't the next Winston Justice or Alex Barron.
  17. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,546 Messages
    389 Likes Received
    He moves better than all of them. He can anchor, he a strong punch, his lateral movement is the best of any player in the draft. (lineman that is) Finally, he is just now starting to develop into a 300+lbs player and getting more massive and stronger as we go. He has good balance to top it all off. He is a freak of an athlete who can probably play at 315-320 without losing his agility.

He will flat out be a better player than all of the others.
  18. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Tell us how he's similar to the last two. Because other than attending USC like Justice and being an offensive tackle like Barron, I dont see any similarities.
  19. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,546 Messages
    389 Likes Received
    I'm completely confused when people try to compare him to Winston Justice. The only thing they have in common is USC. Beyond that there is ZIP, Ziltch, ZERO that is similar. The only thing I can think of is they are USC haters. (I'm okay with that too, I don't actually care much for USC either)
  20. supercowboy8

6,110 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    Well Barron like Smith came into the draft as the OT with the most potential and great athletic freak. Barron was talked about his great upside with his athletic ability and strnegth.

Winston Justice protected Matt Lienhart blind side. Played RT at USC.
    Back in 2006, scouts were enamored with a workout warrior offensive tackle coming out of USC -- Winston Justice. That year, Justice was bigger and faster than his peers, and while short on bulk, he was long on potential with the athletic upside to be mentioned as a top-10 pick. He was Matt Leinart's blind-side protector at right tackle, and he fell in the draft mostly because of character issues to the 39th overall pick and became a starter for the Eagles. Smith is also the top athlete in his class. While he has no such character concerns, he isn't a sure thing. A top-shelf athlete, some have projected him as a top-10 pick based largely on that rare athletic potential, but Smith has never played left tackle. He played most of his college career at or just below 283 pounds, but has put on close to 30 pounds.

He aslo compares to Bruce Campbell, a freak athletic but just isn't a football player.
    USC OTs just aren't ever great in the NFL in the past 10 years.