1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

TFY NFL Combine News & Notes: Day 1

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Feb 22, 2013.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,068 Messages
    1,059 Likes Received
    - The biggest story thus far is the number of teams that have Jonathan Cooper/G/North Carolina ranked higher than Chance Warmack/G/Alabama on their offensive guard board. He’s much better blocking in motion compared to Warmack and a natural fit for a zone blocking scheme. Teams have referred to Cooper as “special” and they feel in time he can add weight, which will only improve his run blocking. I was told Cooper was told to purposely keep his weight down at North Carolina and would have no problem carrying additional bulk. On a side note I believe rival Mel Kiper claimed Cooper would be a top 8 pick just last week, so credit to Mel on this.

- Yet another good source told me yesterday Blidi Wreh-Wilson of UConn is the wildcard at the cornerback position and could be a late first round choice. And while I don’t agree with the later portion of that opinion, the fact several people are mentioning this makes it notable.

- Who will be the fastest man at the combine? Conventional wisdom says track star Marquise Goodwin, the receiver from Texas, is the favorite. I am hearing he’ll receive competition from Southeastern Louisiana cornerback Robert Alford.

- Continue to hear good things about Tharold Simon in pre-combine training so mark his name down. Simon will measure somewhere around 6-feet, 3-inches, 205-pounds and is expected to turn in a terrific workout on Tuesday. We’re told several press coverage/bump and run teams are looking hard at Simon. More on that later.

- The tight end workout on Saturday could be special. I’ve been told Zach Ertz/Stanford and Tyler Eifert/Notre Dame will run fast and I expect terrific workouts from Vance McDonald/Rice and Jordan Reed/Florida. The prospects who could turn heads are Dion Sims/Michigan State and Nick Kasa/Colorado. Both will tip the scales at or near 270-pounds, both will run fast (4.7’s) and both are expected to look incredibly athletic.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=6780
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,068 Messages
    1,059 Likes Received
    - Word is Justin Hunter/WR/Tennessee has shown freakish athleticism in combine training and is getting rave reviews. He’s expected to test great this coming Sunday.

- Another pass catcher who’s getting a lot of love is Vance McDonald/TE/Rice. The quarterback’s at the IMG facility in Bradenton, Florida where McDonald is preparing for the combine have spoken highly of his skills.

- Its ironic but everyone we’ve spoken to say Tyler Eifert/TE/Notre Dame has not looked anything special during training. That said most expect Eifert to run in the low 4.6-range at the combine and could break into the upper 4.5’s
    - Eifert’s Notre Dame teammate Manti Te’o is really not expected to test all that well on Monday, which should come as no surprise.

- I’m told Bjoern Werner/DE/Florida State has not looked like a super athlete in training the past few weeks and many are not expecting a great workout at the combine from the Seminoles pass rusher. That does not surprise me. On film Werner does not display great speed in pursuit and is more of a short (10-yard) burst defender. Its part of the reason why I never considered Werner to be 3-4 outside linebacker material.

- Despite the fact DeAndre Hopkins/WR/Clemson has looked terrific catching the ball he’s unlikely to break the 4.5-second barrier on Sunday and won’t be graded as a first round pick.

- I’ve been a bit miffed by the lack of talk surrounding Logan Ryan/CB/Rutgers. He’s been ranked as one of my top cornerbacks all season. I’m told there is concern about his speed and Ryan’s forty time next Tuesday is important. Sources close to the situation tell me Ryan will run in the 4.5-area but will turn in some of the fastest shuttle times of any defensive back. Right now we hear teams grade the Rutgers junior as a 2nd/3rd round pick.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=6741
  3. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,068 Messages
    1,059 Likes Received
    Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline
    That should be LSU coaches not giving Sam Montgomery/DE/LSU a ringing endorsement. Sorry- Long day
    Expand

13 mins Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline
    Confirmed today what I've heard since October; LSU coaches not giving Sam Montgomery/DE/LSU are rining endorsement. Quite the contrary
    Expand

Word is the Pittsbugh Steelers drooling over Ezekial Ansah/BYU as a 3-4 OLB
    Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

4 hrs Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline
    Irony of ironies, Jeff Garcia has been working to help JaMarcus Russell get his game back. (Readying for the onslaught of sarcasm)
    Expand

4 hrs Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline
    JaMarcus Russell/QB holding a pro-day on/around April 10th. Larry Fitzgerald/WR expected to take part as wide out

Menelik Watson/T/Florida State is getting a lot of 1st round mention from teams at the combine. O-line version of Ziggy Ansah.
    Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

7 hrs Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline
    Several people have commented to me in the past 24hrs they don't expect Zach Ertz/TE/Stanford to break 4.7 in the forty tomorrow.
    Expand
  4. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    I want cooper but looks like GE will be a top 15 pick. Especially now after his bench press at the combine.
  5. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,222 Messages
    3,878 Likes Received
    You never know, some other players could jump into the top 18 after the combine is finished. Ansah might blow up the most of the tests.
  6. supercowboy8

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    I hope so for two reasons. Cooper at 18 and no chance for jerry to take Ansah
  7. dreghorn2

dreghorn2 Well-Known Member

1,092 Messages
    179 Likes Received
    This has Jerry-Dooley written all over it.
  8. supercowboy8

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    Hunter is the only one I could see Dooley approving of. Patterson was even in yhe dog house a few times this season but he will be a 1st round pick.

Dooley benches bray several times and got into it with him.
    Also Dooley kicked Darick Rogers off the team.

Sachs Rogers is a guy for everyone to keep an eye on as a late late round draft pick.
  9. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,521 Messages
    467 Likes Received
    So why didn't Warmack do the bench press?
  10. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

...but it's very possible he just didn't have anything to prove. Kinda like some QB's in year's past not throwing alot: what more do you need to see? Warmack is a bull....
  11. marchetta

marchetta Well-Known Member

3,000 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    Said he was recovering from an injury (shoulder I believe). Said he'd lift during his pro-day.