1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Thank You Everyone

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Stryker44, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

806 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    I woke up this morning with ESPN still on my tv...at the bottom the cold hard finality hit me yet again. "Cowboys eliminated with loss. Redskins can still get wild card with loss by Bears and Vikings." Which is very unlikely so I expect by 8 PM it will be 100 percent elimination for the Skins, too.

Regardless of what happens with the Redskins and Cowboys in about 10.5 hours, I just wanted to say thank you to everyone here for the good solid football discussion over the last few weeks. When I first joined this place, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I had some doubts some would be willing to engage in civil discussion/debate with a R hedskins fan. In many ways I feel the teams and fanbases have more in common now than in the past - with the Mara BS and being long-suffering. Both franchises have been very scrappy in fighting back to save their respective seasons.

I'd always been of the impression when I was growing up that Cowboys fans were bandwagon fans...yet when I asked people about their first memories...some went all the way back to the beginnings of this franchise. I didn't expect to see such breadth and variation there. I was impressed. People have even given me good advice in other areas of the board about some things outside the scope of football.

So thanks again - I've really enjoyed this place. I realize that if the Redskins win tonight, that I should out of respect give it some time before posting again here. In the past, or even with Cowboys fans I see in person, there would ordinarily be some gloating. If the Cowboys win, they deserve the playoffs and the division....no excuses, no *****ing about refs, common opponents, none of that.

Here's to a good hard-fought game today by both teams. The rivalry is back - and I hope there are many more years of these types of games between the 2 teams over the next 10 years or so.
  2. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,389 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Green Bay is playing for a bye.
    Lions are playing a battered (and bad) Bears team.

I don't wan't the back door playoff entrance. I want the Division title.

But some good folks on this board for sure.
  3. Shunpike

Shunpike Active Member

685 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    Okay

As a Giants fan, here is my 2 cents.

I am writing in a few boards but this board is by far the best. People are nice and welcoming. Mods and Admins are doing a good job keeping the order. All in all, thanks to the folks here who makes it fun for us to discuss football.
  4. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

806 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Same here...we've had the longest drought of anybody in the division when it comes to home playoff games.

Minnesota is coming off a big win on the road against Houston - I don't doubt they can beat the Pack at home...especially when its total elimination for them. The first round bye is a nice luxury - but in recent years teams without it have done allright. Will the Pack have that urgency?

The Lions seem like the Eagles this year- they will give it a good go but ultimately crumble at the end.

Though I wouldn't bet money on either game that's for sure.
  5. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

806 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Exactly - and no mods on power trips from what I've seen.
  6. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    I find it very funny that redskins fans crawl out from under a rock every 4 or so years when they hit the 500 mark or slightly above and then say the rivalry is back.
  7. Shunpike

Shunpike Active Member

685 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    And here is my take on today's games.

I truly believe Bears and Vikings will lose. This will put Redskins into the play offs. Dallas will play for survival and win the game. Giants will be eliminated and watch Cowboys and Redskins in the play offs.
  8. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

806 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    We all know the Cowboys have been hovering around .500 (overall record since your last SB win) while we've stunk the joint up for most of the past 15 years.

The true rivalry won't be back until this becomes more common of an occurrence, I agree. Its sure here today though.
  9. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    since romo has taken over we have either been in the playoffs or playing to get in the final week sans 2010 the year romo was hurt.
  10. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,588 Messages
    1,109 Likes Received
    I think it would be poetic justice if the Cowboys win tonight and the Redskins also get into the playoffs as the wildcard if for no other reason than to see the look on Mara's face. :D

Speaking of the Giants .. if you think about it, each time they won their last two Super Bowls, it was years where the media talked endlessly about Tom Coughlin's job being on the line. When his job has not been on the the line, they either did not make the playoffs or exited quickly.

/reality
  11. brooksey1

brooksey1 Well-Known Member

1,216 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    Don't you have enough to worry about today?
  12. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,588 Messages
    1,109 Likes Received
    That is remarkable if you think about it. I know it may not comfort those who were around for all those years where the playoffs were a given and getting in as the wildcard was considered a sub-par year, but it is still a lot better getting to enjoy 16 full games each year at minimum. Sure, the Cowboys have lost at the end more times than we want to think about, but it is a lot better than knowing your season is over at 10-12 games.

/reality
  13. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

806 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Last year, I was like "there is NO way they beat Atlanta", then they do. Then NO WAY they beat 15-1 GB at GB, they do, then SF and New England.

It was maddening. Goes to show what a team coming together at the right time can do. I do think the Skins and Dallas have holes the top NFC teams don't...but I thought the same thing last year about the Giants...
  14. JPostSam

JPostSam Active Member

998 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    hugs all around.

the rivalries in the nfc east (with the exception the eagles) are really good again, and i think they all respect each other. it's good football, and it's good entertainment.

but, still...

:skins:

:giants:

:eagles:
  15. The Quest for Six

The Quest for Six Well-Known Member

6,113 Messages
    380 Likes Received
    last 12 years, week seventeen, Dallas record, 2-10 worst record in Football..bad omen??
  16. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    no but it would be nice if we could finish at home once in a while.

I believe those two wins are 10 win over eagles at philly and 09 win over eagles at cowboys stadium.

this is the third time we have had to finish at Washington since 02.

its some serious BS.

We are the ratings draw for the league to open and finish every year and they send us to a division opponent almost every year.

thankfully this group is mentally tough enough and healthy enough on offense and we have a good kicker to stay in this game.
  17. The Quest for Six

The Quest for Six Well-Known Member

6,113 Messages
    380 Likes Received

Right now, there doesn't seem to be any homefield advantage for the Cowboys in the new stadium, they seem to play better on the road....if they were healthy on defense, would have a good shot but with the interior of the defense with Church, Lee, Carter, Ratliff out and with Ware very limited and the interior offensive line suspect, I'd just don't like the cowboys chances today if they pressure Romo early.
  18. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,586 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I hate the loudmouth Giants players and detest Mara, but to hell with irony. No outcome of NFL week 17 would give me more pleasure than Dallas winning the division while securing places on the couch for BOTH NY and Washington.
  19. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,521 Messages
    467 Likes Received
    It not almost. The scheduling has been set up where EVERY TEAM in the NFL faces a division opponent in week 17. It's been that way for awhile now.

I would like us to have a home game in week 17 from time to time though.
  20. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received

well I disagree on the home field issue.

to pressure romo I think they are going to have to sell out like they did in 2010 and we burned them all over the field.

I don't think they will sell out because there secondary is poor.

if they sit in two deep we are going to run on them and force them to bring the safety down....if they do that either Austin or Bryant will get singled up....

I imagine if Bryant is singled up today the ball is going his way.