1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Thanksgiving Day memories

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by WilmingtonHeel, Nov 23, 2005.

1. WilmingtonHeel

WilmingtonHeel Member

910 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    1991 against the Steelers the game was on NBC. Michael Irvin breaking Woodson's tackle the endzone.

1992 we destroyed the Gnats 30-3 Emmitt I believe had a 162 yds plus a nice reception for a TD.

1993 Should I say more?

What are some of yours?
  2. NJCowboy

NJCowboy Benched

119 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    - I recall my heart being broken by Darrin Nelson break away tackle run for a TD in I believe OT?
  3. NYCowboy22

NYCowboy22 Member

632 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Julius having a break out game last year.
  4. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

5,987 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    The 1991 game vs the Steelers was a breakthrough game for us. I'll always remember that one.

Pummeling the Chiefs in 1995 was sweet. I have several family members that are Chiefs fans. I was whooping and hollaring when Novacek hurdled the would-be tackler and scored.

A very early memory would be Everson Walls intercepting Tony Eason and taking it to the house....can't remember the year.
  5. Da Hammer

Da Hammer The Natural

10,604 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Painfully what I always remember is that bonehead play that i don't even have to mention. that had to be the stupidest play ever but sadly its not and its by the same person. luckily one of them didnt cost us
  6. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    1979: losing to the Oilers (Campbell runs wild)
    1980: crushing Seattle
    1981: Danny White knocked out by the Bears; Carano leads them to victory
    1982: beat Cleveland in strike year
    1989: Bounty Bowl
    1990: beat Skins
    1993: Leon!
    1998: Rookie Randy Moss makes us pay
  7. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Leon Lett playing bob sled against Miami
  8. 2much2soon

2much2soon Active Member

2,447 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    The Mad Bomber, all else pales in comparison.
    Clint Longley and Drew Pearson sticking an especially painful fork in the 'skins.
  9. Tuna Helper

Tuna Helper Benched

2,049 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yes, Leon's second dubious distinction (first one is the fumble in SB 27 after being run down by Don Beebe). I don't know what Leon is doing these days, but something tells me that Thanksgiving is probably not his favorite holiday.

:laugh2:
  10. jcblanco22

jcblanco22 Active Member

1,334 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jason Garrett's out-of-nowhere comeback against Green Bay in 1994 is a personal favorite.
  11. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received

:D I don't imagine old Leon will ever forget that Thanksgiving either.
  12. Tuna Helper

Tuna Helper Benched

2,049 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I still find the 1993 team to be amazing. They were unphased by any distraction, and there were plenty of distractions that year that could have derailed the entire team. Jimmy Johnson was an amazing coach that kept the ship afloat.

Were it not for Leon's blunder on Thanksgiving (our final loss that year), Emmitt Smith would have never played against the Giants in the last game of the regular season after going down with a separated shoulder. We would have had the division, first round bye, and home field advantage locked up by then. Even despite the fact that we lost a couple of games early in the year.

The final game of 1993 defined Emmitt Smith's career and really showed the world the type of player that he was. This courageous effort would have never taken place if Leon didn't force his snowsled into a blocked field goal at the end of regulation.
  13. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Exactly. Who will ever forget Emmitt's game against Giants......a performance for the ages.

The 1992-93 Cowboys.....probably the best Cowboy team ever assembled.
  14. Big Country

Big Country Rolling Thunder

3,716 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    whipping of Seattle in 1980. 51 - 7

camping in South Texas, family football, pricesless... ALSO

Can't forget the game in 1994, Jason Garrett beating the Packers in a big time comeback... Chunk it to the moon and call "The Playmaker" Irvin was big time too!!
  15. lane

lane The Chairman

11,053 Messages
    909 Likes Received
    A very early memory would be Everson Walls intercepting Tony Eason and taking it to the house....can't remember the year.[/QUOTE]

that would be my man michael downs in 1984
  16. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received

Not positive about this .... but the winning TD was thrown to Harper.....correct???
  17. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

5,987 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    that would be my man michael downs in 1984[/QUOTE]
    Maybe it was Downs......24......26.....I can't remember.

All I remember is the DB jumping the route and taking it to the endzone.

I was just a kid that year.....I remember my parents making me leave Grandma's that day....They were practically shoving me out the door when that play happened.
  18. lane

lane The Chairman

11,053 Messages
    909 Likes Received
    Maybe it was Downs......24......26.....I can't remember.

All I remember is the DB jumping the route and taking it to the endzone.

I was just a kid that year.....I remember my parents making me leave Grandma's that day....They were practically shoving me out the door when that play happened.[/QUOTE]

trust me bizwah........it was mike.

i'm one of his biggest fans.
  19. jbsg02

jbsg02 Active Member

1,719 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm 21, so I wasn't very old when the game happened, but I remember the game against the dolphins in the sleet.
  20. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    The first game I ever saw was on Thanksgiving some where around 75. I was just mesmerized by it.

Also Leon was probably to messed up to remember what he did in the Dolphins game.