1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The 137th Preakness

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by casmith07, May 14, 2012.

1. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,816 Messages
    3,154 Likes Received
    Anyone ever been to a big time horse race?

I've heard it's a great place to meet ladies. Especially in the infield.

I am thinking about going...found a guy in the Pentagon selling two tickets for $70. Seems like a steal for all you can drink beer (if that's your thing) and a bunch of concerts by Maroon 5, Wiz Kalifa, etc.

Should I consider it?
  2. Hostile

Hostile Jason Garrett's Loudest Supporter Zone Supporter

119,418 Messages
    3,660 Likes Received
    Huge horse racing fan and you should jump all over that.
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

24,892 Messages
    12,595 Likes Received
    My username comes from the horse racing world.
  4. Hostile

119,418 Messages
    3,660 Likes Received
    Yeah, I know the horse well. Secretariat's son.

My Mom and I were huge fans of horse racing. My ring tone on her phone was the trumpet call to saddle up. We either watched every Triple Crown race together or I called her and we watched it and talked. One year for her birthday I surprised her and drove to New Mexico to be there with her for the Derby.

This is my 2nd straight year not talking to her for the races. Last year my brother and I got together for each race. This year I was in a seminar and missed the Derby live. I'll be camping this weekend and will likely miss the Preakness too.
  5. Risen Star

24,892 Messages
    12,595 Likes Received
    He could have easily been another triple crown winner. He's the one son of Secretariat who carried some of his father's immense talent.

I'm kind of a horse racing historian and just happened to be brushing up on Risen Star when I created this account here. I figured it had a little bit of a Cowboys flavor to it.
  6. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,817 Messages
    476 Likes Received
    I would go just to say I went.

Hopefully that Canadian owned horse can win like it is at the Derby.
  7. Hostile

119,418 Messages
    3,660 Likes Received
    If I am not mistaken (and no I have not looked it up) he lost the Derby but won the Preakness and Belmont.

I posted the article by William Nack about Secretariat from Sports Illustrated on here. To me, that is the best sports article ever written. If you haven't read it, you should.
  8. Risen Star

24,892 Messages
    12,595 Likes Received
    Yep. He got up too late in the Derby and the filly Winning Colors held on. He was like a steamtrain down the stretch. Won the Preakness and dominated the Belmont like his daddy. I believe his time is still one of the best ever for that race.

I have Nack's book on Secretariat. Great read on what I consider one of, if not thee, most dominant athletes in the history of sports. If you want to include a horse in that mix. He was the Babe Ruth of his species.

What I love about Big Red is the autopsy proved he was a legitimate freak of nature. Just a gift from God.
  9. Hostile

119,418 Messages
    3,660 Likes Received
    Yeah, the stuff about his heart being twice the size of a normal horse's heart is really just awesome in its symbolism and genetics.

What he did in the Preakness is the greatest athletic feat of all time from my perspective.

I am guessing the other dominant athlete is Gretzky?
  10. Risen Star

24,892 Messages
    12,595 Likes Received
    I've always considered Babe and Secretariat being on another level. But Gretzky is a good one to put in there. When you compare what they were doing to what their peers were doing at that time, it's alarmingly lopsided.

It is absolutely ridiculous that a horse born over 40 years ago still holds so many speed records today. When you consider the advancement of track surfaces, training and breeding.

I don't know who's going to win the Belmont this year but I do know whoever it is won't be within 10 lengths of Secretatiat's time. The only horse that's been that close was Easy Goer in 1989. Another all time great horse. And he was a full 10 lengths off Big Red's time. That just blows my mind.

For those that don't really follow horse racing, winning a race by 10 lengths is dominating. It's like blowing a team out by 30 in football. To think of all the great horses that have come since and they can't even get on the screen with Secretariat down the stretch is just amazing.
  11. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,546 Messages
    389 Likes Received
    I don't follow horse racing and I'm not a gambler, but I do enjoy betting on the horse. (always minimum bet, as it's only for fun) I've been about 25 times going back to when I was a kid. My grandparents used to take me, though I've only been to about 4 or 5 different tracks. I've been Ruidoso Downs, Trinity Meadows when it open and then closed), Lone Star Park, and the other two I can't remember the name of as I was younger. (sub 10) Somewhere near Vegas or somewhere in California.

Now that I live up here, there are several that I really should go too. (Specifically, Belmont Park) My wife's father used to be the head of one of them on Long Island, but I can't remember the name of it off hand. I will ask her when she gets home.
  12. Hostile

119,418 Messages
    3,660 Likes Received
    The measure of Babe's greatness is the adjective that is still relevant today. If you say something was Ruthian, people get it.
  13. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

42,302 Messages
    1,996 Likes Received
    I remember him winning the Belmont Stakes and pulling away and the announcer yelling

"He looks just like his Daddy!"
  14. Risen Star

24,892 Messages
    12,595 Likes Received
    That was one of my favorite non Cowboys sports moments right there.
  15. burmafrd

42,302 Messages
    1,996 Likes Received
    Secretariat to me was even more dominating then Babe or Gretsky ever were in that stretch of May through June of 1973.

Sham was a great horse; odds are he would have won the Triple Crown in almost any other year. People talk about Alydar but Sham was better.
    And Secretariat OWNED him.

The Kentucky Derby was the only race anyone has ever found where a horse ran faster and faster through each quarter mile to the end.

The Belmont Stakes is referenced by many horse experts as the perfect race.

And Charles Hatton who had seen Man of War and Citation and all the other great horses from 1918 on said Secretariat's only reference was himself.
  16. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

80,531 Messages
    4,995 Likes Received
    I'll be pulling for, I'll Have Another. It has been a long time since we had a Triple Crown winner. 1978 Affirmed was the last
  17. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Seabird II disagrees....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Bird_II
  18. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,892 Messages
    1,214 Likes Received
    I've been to Preakness and I've been to Belmont..Preakness was much more fun

I've yet to attend the Kentucky derby! Definitely on the to do list
  19. burmafrd

42,302 Messages
    1,996 Likes Received
  20. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :laugh2: