1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Amazing Patrick Peterson

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by StevenOtero, Nov 9, 2010.

1. StevenOtero

StevenOtero Well-Known Member

6,414 Messages
    370 Likes Received
    ...and with the number two overall pick in the 2011 NFL Draft...

The Dallas Cowboys Select:

[youtubehd]yCOLpiFxgbM[/youtubehd]
  2. Macnalty

Macnalty Well-Known Member

1,044 Messages
    107 Likes Received
    Watched LSU play the weekend and he was not the player that stood out in my opinion playing Alabama. Watch out for that Defensive lineman for LSU.
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    well you want to see him up against a real good WR with a real Good QB to judge him as a CB. Did not see that in that game.
  4. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He will be a top-5 pick in all liklihood, but he is not Deion Sanders or Mike Haynes right now.

I watch alot of LSU football games, and he seems to get beat alot for a guy that should be a shutdown CB. Has great physical talent but he needs more work.
  5. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,599 Messages
    480 Likes Received
    Seems to rely on his physical talent, with proper coaching and technique (which I would never expect from Dave Campo) he could be a great player.

He faces some top notch WRs and systems in the SEC, so I think he could start day 1 for us like Newman.

I just think safety and interior linemen are a much bigger concern for us right now than CB. We can get a competent replacement for Scandrick later in the first day.
  6. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,675 Messages
    540 Likes Received
    OP Dallas will be picking numero uno.
  7. StevenOtero

StevenOtero Well-Known Member

6,414 Messages
    370 Likes Received
    I'd have to agree with you. ....but for all we know Jerry will trade out of the first day for 1,000 7th round picks.

:lmao:
  8. quaigs

quaigs Member

107 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    No kidding! Where's the video of Julio Jones making Peterson look like Scandrick?
  9. superonyx

superonyx Well-Known Member

1,678 Messages
    65 Likes Received
    I will first say that I have never actually seen him play. I dont really watch much LSU football.

Based off of the highlight videos he seems very much in love with himself. These type of guys (if he really is) can sometimes be uncoachable so he better be perfect and ready to contribute immediately.

All that said i dont know him or his character obviously. Just an observation from watching him on the 1 1/2 minute highlight video.

I do agree with the poster that said unless he has champ bailey or dion sanders ability then I would rather get interior help. We obviously need some defense secondary also. Or maybe its scheme.
  10. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,851 Messages
    564 Likes Received
    Seems to get beat alot? goaline slant to Jones

Please put out the evidence. He hardly gets tested due to his press coverage.

He could turn into a star at the next level with better coaching and improve his technique.
  11. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,109 Messages
    656 Likes Received
    i dont think he is worth a top 5 pick.regardles we should not pick in the top 5,we need all the picks we can get to fill a lot of holes.
  12. Dash28

6,851 Messages
    564 Likes Received
    Then if he's not we're screwed cause nobody outside of Luck would be.

But that's why the draft is fun, we all have different opinions and nobody actually knows whom will turn out great.
  13. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I love it when people use the term "shutdown corner" as if any corner from Deion Sanders to Champ Bailey literally shutdown wide receivers on a consistant basis.

Here's news folks, Deion Sanders got beat and with more frequency than you think.

Now I'm not taking away anything from him, because he was absolutely good. Rather, I'm telling you reality.

I watched the Alabama/LSU game last week and have it recorded. Peterson wasn't even covering Julio Jones the entire game, so it's way to simplistic to look at Jones' game stats and say "see, Peterson couldn't cover him."

Also, there were receptions that Jones made where he sat in the zone that LSU was running. It happens.

Peterson was covering Jones on that TD reception. My answer....oh well, it happens. Julio Jones is a good player in his own right. When a QB puts the ball where no one but his receiver can grab it, sometimes you can't do anything.
  14. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,336 Messages
    731 Likes Received
    You don't pick DB's that high for return ability and he doesn't make enough plays in coverage to warrant that selection. He reminds me a lot of Antrell Rolle.

If we are set to pick CB, I would prefer to trade back and get the kid from Nebraska who is actually a better man coverage cornerback.
  15. Dash28

6,851 Messages
    564 Likes Received
    He doesn't remind me of Rolle at all.
  16. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,109 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    I agree..

The NFL CB he reminds me of is Chris McAlister. Almost the same type of players..
  17. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I can see the similiarity to Antrel Rolle only in body types, not in ability.
  18. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received

LMFAO
  19. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I`m glad that I am not the only one that has noticed this. I live in SEC country and watch him every week. The Bama game was not his best game by no means but he is not the shut-down corner that some think . He is flashy on returns and has the ability to cover, but he is not the player that some would like to think. He has the raw tools , but he has a long way to go. Bama went right after him. I think Saban realizes that Peterson is no Deion. I did noticed some tackle attempts that he missed by diving at the ankles . That is the only Deion traits that he showed.
  20. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Well-Known Member

1,004 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    The same Sr. Nebraska CB that got TORCHED by a So. WR (although he is the next great OK St. WR) in the OK State game? Only if it's not a Top 10 pick. Peterson is better. And, honestly, something tells me that he is going to get A TON of looks as a FS in the NFL because of his physical play. safeties are becoming as (if not MORE) important than corners in today's NFL. The 2010 Cowboys are definitive proof of that.