1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The BCS as We Know It Is Going Away

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by Sam I Am, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The Bowl Championship Series as college football fans have come to know it is going away.

Over the next six months, the people who oversee the much-maligned postseason system will talk about how to deconstruct the system for crowning a national champion. In the tumultuous 14-year history of the BCS, never has there been more of an appetite for change among college football's leaders.

"It's my impression that ... there will be meaningful discussion about possible changes to the BCS," Southeastern Conference Commissioner Mike Slive said Thursday as SEC rivals LSU and Alabama prepared to play in the title game Monday night at the Superdome.

Complete Story
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,878 Messages
    2,118 Likes Received
    This is why I was thankful the BCS was put in place. In my view is was just the 1st step in a process that would lead to a playoff format. When you stop and think the old system that was in place before the BCS came about it is clear to me the BCS was the step in the right direction
  3. kev8822

kev8822 Member

226 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    There will never be a full playoff. Best hope is a 4 team playoff.
  4. Doomsday101

75,878 Messages
    2,118 Likes Received
    I could see a 4 to 8 team playoff system down the road.
  5. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    An eight team playoff is what I want. I don't think four is enough. Some non-BCS team is very likely to get screwed if they only go four teams. ...which is exactly what they will probably do just so it's easier to screw non-BCS teams.
  6. Doomsday101

75,878 Messages
    2,118 Likes Received
    In the end I think we will see the NCAA move to the Super conferences taking in some of the non BCS teams. This way you could take the 12 super conferences have conference championships and the winners go on to the playoff format that is put in place
  7. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,066 Messages
    2,487 Likes Received
    An 8 team playoff is about as fair as it would get. Outside of the Top 8, the other teams generally don't have any business playing for a title.

But match up the seeds 1-8 from this year and tell me there's a bad game on that schedule. There isn't.
  8. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,959 Messages
    757 Likes Received
    Id be thrilled with an 8 team playoff. That would be awesome.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    8 is plenty. Most years 4 would be enough
  10. kmp77

kmp77 Active Member

5,945 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    8 game playoff and i'd be happy!!!!! I'd even......

[IMG]
  11. casmith07

27,066 Messages
    2,487 Likes Received
    The reason I advocate 8 is because it appeases the "give 'em a chance" crowd without expanding it too far to the point that some team that has zero business playing for a shot gets a flukey win over a top program.

4 teams would be ideal if the BCS ranking system wasn't so terribly subjective at times, particularly based on teams scheduled.

With top 8, you would've had the following matchups in the first round:

1 LSU vs 8 Kansas State
    2 Alabama vs. 7 Boise State
    3 Oklahoma State vs 6 Arkansas
    4 Stanford vs 5 Oregon

The Boise State whiners are appeased, though they'd get annihilated by the Tide, and the other teams like Oklahoma State, who got jobbed, get a shot. It also gives Oregon a shot despite having a couple of losses, since they've proven they can run with the big boys. A Top 4 playoff (if you can even call it that, more like a semifinal) would leave Oregon out, and of any of the other teams they deserve to be in.

It would also test the mettle of teams who really could be considered champions -- Boise State would essentially have to beat Alabama, Oregon, and LSU, for example, for the rights to be called champs. If they're able to go three weeks in a row and win all three games, then they deserve to be called the champs. Same for any other team that can beat three Top 8 teams three weeks in a row.
  12. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think the top 16 would work shorten the regular season by a game or two
  13. casmith07

27,066 Messages
    2,487 Likes Received
    Regular season is already short enough for college football. Some teams don't always play double digit games either.

Top 16 is too much. You really think South Carolina, Wisconsin, Virginia Tech, Baylor, Michigan, Clemson, Oklahoma and Georgia have any business playing for a title this year?
  14. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,631 Messages
    2,016 Likes Received
    Just curious CAS, but what D-1 team does not play at least 10 games? I thought they all played 11 or even 12?

That said, 8 probably works for me. I can't really recall a year where a team outside of the top 8 could make a claim....at least not with a straight face. I think of many years of 5-6 or more being able to do that.
  15. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,760 Messages
    928 Likes Received
    I was wondering the same thing. If a program is not playing at least 10 games, then maybe they shouldn't be in Division 1A(FBS) football. Time to move down to the lower divisions.
  16. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,844 Messages
    70 Likes Received
    Keep the schedules the same. The top rated team overall gets a bye week. The next 3 rated(#2-#4) conference winners get the home game vs 3 Wild card teams.

After those games re-seed and play the best of 4.
  17. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm a fan of the 8 team playoff.

16 would be more fun and would allow for better comparisons among conferences, but in the end, 16 isn't practical. So 8.
  18. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,673 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    do you mean 8 team? cause 8 teams would mean 7 games.....

if you meant 8 games, you really can't do that, unless you mean 8 games the first round.....16 teams....which would mean a total of 15 games
  19. kev8822

kev8822 Member

226 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    4 team playoff. seeds #1 and #2 get home games.
  20. Cythim

Cythim Benched

1,691 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would do 6 teams with 5 games, only one team per conference. This will force the ACC and Big East to man up so they do not lose a slot to the mid-major teams. Top two seeds get a bye while 3&6 and 4&5 play Christmas week in whichever bowl games will take the job. Winners advance to play on New Year week, winners from there play the NC game the next week.

LSU
    Oklahoma State
    Stanford
    Boise State
    Wisconsin
    Virginia Tech

First this fits well with a 6 super conference conference setup well, possibly promoting the survival of the Big 12 and Big East. If it goes to 6 major conference with 16 teams it will essentially be a 12 team playoff with the conference championship games constituting the first round, assuming a change to conference champions only. It also keeps the regular season meaningful as it becomes necessary to be the best team in your conference. Limiting it to just one team per conference also keeps the different markets interested so we aren't looking at an SEC vs Pac 12 playoff.