1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Biggest Pro Bowl Snub of All Time?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by percyhoward, Jan 26, 2013.

1. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,551 Messages
    2,614 Likes Received
    Now that Dez most decidedly isn't going...

78 rec 1,200 yds 11 TD

That's the minimum I looked at among all receivers since 1960, and I only looked at the totals through game 15 of every season. Keep in mind, Dez's 15-game numbers (88 rec, 1,311 yds 12 TD) are comfortably better than the minimum I used--I knocked off 10 catches, 100+ yards and a TD.

Since 1960, 25 different receivers have had those minimum numbers or better 40 times. 39 of the 40 times, that receiver was either selected to the Pro Bowl that season, or was passed over only by other receivers with more catches and more yards.

39 of 40.

Dez Bryant is the only exception, and is without question the biggest snub at the wide receiver position in the history of the Pro Bowl.

Because Dez was passed over by not one -- but *four* players with lesser numbers. Again, these are the numbers the players had compiled through game 15, before the close of the voting...

Bryant 88 rec 1,311 12 td
    Jones 76 rec 1,142 10td*
    Cruz 82 rec 1,040 9 td*
    Jackson 69 rec 1,334 8 td**
    Fitzgerald 69 rec 785 yds 4 td**

* Pro Bowler
    ** alternate
  2. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,137 Messages
    1,356 Likes Received
    Dez didn't get snubbed. What were his stats during the period of pro bowl voting?
  3. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I think that is one problem with the voting...it starts and ends too early...
  4. percyhoward

8,551 Messages
    2,614 Likes Received
    88 rec, 1,311 yds 12 TD

That's what the post was about.
  5. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,720 Messages
    1,807 Likes Received
    Dez couldn't have played even if he did get voted in. He needed surgery on his finger, and I'M SURE, that if he did get voted in to the ProBowl he would have insisted on playing just like he did at the end of the season with the broken finger. He needs to get his finger right before some stupid game.

Dez's production this season does not have to be justified by going to a flag football game.
  6. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,179 Messages
    301 Likes Received
    bigger shame is Fitzgerald having to play with those QBs in Arizona.
  7. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,140 Messages
    1,113 Likes Received
    I don't know why people care about the pro bowl so much, other than the fact that since we don't win, it's the only thing to look forward to after the season.
  8. 5Stars

26,720 Messages
    1,807 Likes Received
    Not me...I have not watched a pro bowl in at least 20 years or more.
  9. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,394 Messages
    897 Likes Received
    I think the fact that he came on late after standing out early for running routes that led to interceptions and such hurt the perception of him. If he builds on what he accomplished this year, he'll get the call next year.
  10. percyhoward

8,551 Messages
    2,614 Likes Received
    To be clear, the fact that Dez did not make the Pro Bowl doesn't make him less of a player in the eyes of the author of the OP.

;)
  11. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus Zone Supporter

4,425 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    For me, it's an honor that goes on the player's "resume". When the time comes for the All-Decade Team or the HOF, they look at number of Pro Bowls and how many times the player was All-Pro. The Pro Bowl selection process has always been flawed but it's been cheapened even more recently. Having fans vote makes it less credible and having all the players who are in the SB not play just waters it down even more. The fact the Eli has made 3 now yet has not been worthy of ANY of them (look at what he did compared to others in those years) shows what a joke it has become. Dez should have been there and he deserved the honor and the experience.
  12. percyhoward

8,551 Messages
    2,614 Likes Received
    That's how it works.
  13. 5Stars

26,720 Messages
    1,807 Likes Received
    We know, bro.

;)

But, it was best for him not to be there at all. It would not look good for the Cowboys or the NFL because of his troubles with his mom and how the press made it sound, or how it really was, nobody knows but him and his mom.

However, after that incident was mostly cleared up, Dez seemed to come on stronger than ever.

If he stays out of trouble this season, and does more football work, I actually think we are seeing this kid grow up to be a man.
  14. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Well-Known Member

671 Messages
    277 Likes Received
    Well I'll venture to say that most people don't care about the actual game, they care about Seeing players get the recognition that they deserve for having an outstanding season.
  15. percyhoward

8,551 Messages
    2,614 Likes Received
    I'm talking about football. With all due respect, he was snubbed.
  16. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,140 Messages
    1,113 Likes Received
    He'll get his recognition in opposing teams game planning sessions when they put his name up on a whiteboard in big, bold letters

Individual awards are a part of sports, I get that. But if your team sucks, you shouldn't be getting trophies.
  17. percyhoward

8,551 Messages
    2,614 Likes Received
    The Chiefs had six Pro Bowlers.

Please.
  18. 5Stars

26,720 Messages
    1,807 Likes Received
    That's cool. However, I doubt he would have been able to play. He needed to get that finger fixed first.

And, getting an extra, what, 25 grand for playing.
  19. 5Stars

26,720 Messages
    1,807 Likes Received
    Now your getting the picture! The pro bowl is a gimmick, a dog and pony show, a flag football game, a meaningless game that does not even provide entertainment unless people just like to see the cheerleaders.

;)
  20. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,140 Messages
    1,113 Likes Received
    Exactly my point. Pro bowl is the consolation prize for losers.