1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Biggest Pro Bowl Snub of All Time?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by percyhoward, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,750 Messages
    10,046 Likes Received
    Hard to argue against that case.

Snubbed indeed.
  2. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,461 Messages
    2,305 Likes Received
    This is what this team, the Dallas Cowboys, has been relegated to.

People getting their feelings hurt because a player isn't named to a popularity contest.

Geez, Dez wasn't on the cover of Tiger Beat either.

Used to be this team was about play-offs and championships.

Now it's about meaningless awards voted on by fans.

This is what sixteen years of crapola gets you.
  3. Risen Star

22,750 Messages
    10,046 Likes Received
    Hey, I don't really care if he gets named. Nor do I subscribe to secret anti-Cowboy conspiracies to play victim.

I'm just saying, the case made in the OP shows he should have gone.
  4. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,698 Messages
    2,848 Likes Received
    Again, if the timing of the voting was an issue, why is it that 39 of the 40 times that WR have had similar numbers at the time of the voting they either made the Pro Bowl or were only passed over in favor of players with better numbers?

Fan balloting closed Dec. 17. League-wide voting of coaches and players took place Dec. 20. At that time, Dez and Brandon Marshall were the only NFC WR with at least 75 receptions, 1,000 yards and 10 TD. They were the only two NFC wide receivers who ranked in the top 5 in catches, yards, and TD.

Marshall and five others were voted to the Pro Bowl (or as alternates) ahead of Bryant.
  5. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,406 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Serious part of the problem is that the Cowboys (scoring) offense was so terrible in the first half of games.

Everybody scores when the opponent is controlling the game for 3 quarters and start to play prevent.

Don't get me wrong I think he has the (magic word) potential. I am one that feels that he is held back by the team and it could mean in the long run he will not return.

Dez is one of the top WRs in the game (in some aspects)... on a team that can't put it together. You can't blame him entirely for that, but it may be part of the problem.
  6. Risen Star

22,750 Messages
    10,046 Likes Received
    So, we got Dez just scores in the 4th quarter against prevent, he's got potential, but he's probably being held back by the team, he may not return, he could be part of the problem though.

Your hog snout is too tight.
  7. Risen Star

22,750 Messages
    10,046 Likes Received
    I think you've made it obvious he was royally snubbed.

Meanwhile a fraud like Griffin goes in without the ability to run an NFL offense.
  8. SkinsandTerps

7,406 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I like the talent, but he is not without fault in this situation either. Fans and players see highlights...unless they are playing teams and then they watch some film too. The defensive guys are still the only ones that see the film on Dez unless they (offensive players) are learning something to do or not do.

Add on, that the Pro Bowl is lame as a game anyway. I have said this before and I am sure you have read it. Young guys (players) just vote for their favorites growing up. The players vote is stupid as is the fan vote.
  9. Risen Star

22,750 Messages
    10,046 Likes Received
    He is without fault. He put up a Pro Bowl caliber season. You're a Redskins fan trying to discredit a rival. The numbers are there. Check the first post.

Over the 2nd half of the season there wasn't a better WR in the entire league than Dez. He was that good.
  10. SkinsandTerps

7,406 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Looks like Romo can't run one either. 2-0 against the Cowboys and their supposed Pro offense at this point. You using Griffin is frankly quite silly.

Why can't you get this through your head...the kid can run any offense. He is a rookie, he is learning the ropes, the speed, the comfort level, the defenses tendancies, the schemes, all that stuff.
    A non-NFL offense that had 3 QBs in the playoffs using variations of it...one going to the Super Bowl. Learn your playbook and offensive sets and get back to me.

Evolve. Stagnant is what you have been for too long.
    Can you put that in your sig for me ?
  11. SkinsandTerps

7,406 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Meaning too little, too late.

You investigate the numbers. Get back to me.
    I think most older posters here know that...stats don't always tell the story.
    The kid had an image to repair to begin with...that is not a snub that is a lesson. You take your kids for ice cream after they throw a temper tantrum ? No, you let them learn the lesson...or they will run all over you.
  12. percyhoward

8,698 Messages
    2,848 Likes Received
    Geez, you sound like you need a tissue.
  13. Risen Star

22,750 Messages
    10,046 Likes Received
    Wait, so now it was a lesson and not about only scoring in the 4th quarter against prevent defenses?

Is he still leaving the team?

You run with that, Tonto. I call it like it is. When a guy puts up those numbers, he's worthy of a pro bowl. I don't care what team he plays for or how good of a role model he is for my kids.

You can't argue with the first post in this thread. Sometimes you just got to tip your feathers to the opposition.
  14. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,226 Messages
    1,437 Likes Received
    Pro Bowl voting started October 23rd. By this time Dez had 2 touchdowns through six games.

He didn't score his 3rd touchdown until his 9th game. Dez turned things on, but it was way too late to make up for his loss in earlier voting.
  15. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,461 Messages
    2,305 Likes Received
    If I were to get bent over snubbing, I think Drew Pearson's snubbing from the Hall of Fame is a bigger travesty than Dez.

Dez will get his acknowledgment soon.

Pearson may never.

Now compare Pearson to Lynn Swann and tell me this isn't a much bigger deal.
  16. percyhoward

8,698 Messages
    2,848 Likes Received
    You're referring to fan voting, which only counts for 1/3 of the vote, and which went on until Dec. 17 anyway.

Then there's the other 2/3 of the vote: coaches and players, and that took place on one day -- Dec. 20.
  17. SkinsandTerps

7,406 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I would say he does leave the team. Yes.
    Perhaps to San Fran among one team when that time comes.

I call it like I see it...the team including coaches, and Romo...failed him equally. You have a weapon like that you take advantage of it...even if it is just as a decoy.

And this is certainly not because I am a Redskins fan. That is just your spin...which is towards being simply homer, not open minded or looking at all the variables.
  18. SkinsandTerps

7,406 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Again, read what I said about coaches and/or players watching other teams...and the younger players (about 45 minutes ago).

EDIT: Post #48.

You can't let it go to the writers and such either. The system is flawed no matter what. College coaches can't do it, GM and Owners can't do it.

Perhaps scouts can but completely anonymous ...forever. Otherwise they get branded a homer or a hater.
  19. percyhoward

8,698 Messages
    2,848 Likes Received
    Defensive players are the only players who could have voted for Dez. Defense votes for offense, and vice-versa.
  20. pancakeman

pancakeman Well-Known Member

1,940 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    What numbers would he have to have put up for you to think that the team took advantage of his talent?