1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Biggest Pro Bowl Snub of All Time?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by percyhoward, Jan 26, 2013.

1. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,398 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Going to bed guys. I have a good reason.

This is interesting however. I will get back to it. Thanks.

Have a good night.
  2. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,834 Messages
    2,045 Likes Received
    Whether you said homer or super homer is irrelevant. Either is still absurd given the person with whom you're debating.
  3. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,093 Messages
    448 Likes Received
    God help us. Players are faking a hang nail to not play in the probowl. Now we have athletes snubbed? Direct your efforts to Hallmark for inventing Valentines Day. I got your back.
  4. JustDezIt

JustDezIt Formerly sm0kie13 ROY

3,636 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    thanks for the numbers percy. and to skinsandterps, if you think Jerry is gonna let this shiny toy get away you are sadly mistaking. short of some kind os massive implosion on the sidelines or off the field, he is gonna be on this team for quite a while.
  5. IAMKING

IAMKING Benched

1,253 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You haven't watched the Pro Bowl in the last 20 years you have ZERO credibility judging the Pro Bowl
  6. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

3,639 Messages
    391 Likes Received
    I wouldn't call it the "biggest Pro Bowl snub of all time," but yes, Dez definitely deserved to be in and wasn't selected.
  7. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    It is a fan vote. Obviously the fans were more off-put by his past off-field shenanigans more than they are enamored by his on-field accomplishments. Simple as that.
  8. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    You can read the box score/news, watch highlights, etc. without watching the game. I don't watch the game either but I know it is a joke. Credibility intact.
  9. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,885 Messages
    7,305 Likes Received
    You said it. There's next to no chance he leaves unless the Cowboys want him to leave.

That's wishful thinking on his part.
  10. Risen Star

20,885 Messages
    7,305 Likes Received
    I agree that pro bowl voting is a joke. Percy just provided proof of how bad it was in Dez's case. That's all we're saying here.

Would I as a Cowboys fan like to see Dez get that recognition? Of course. But it doesn't define him as a player. Just give me more seasons like this last one.

He deserved the criticism when he got in trouble. He deserves some praise for the way he stepped up this year.
  11. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Because you conveniently left out the other part of my post where I said that Dez mane enough negative plays that left impressions - negatively - in people's minds.

Everyone needs to stop acting like all that matters is how many plays a player makes, when in reality NOT making bad plays that hurt your team and winning matters just as much - if not more in critical moments of games.
  12. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,101 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    going to the Pro Bowl has become a joke and the game is horrible. i will not watch and will not miss it. And, yes, Dez should be in any NFL all-star game, he had a great year.
  13. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

7,861 Messages
    363 Likes Received
    The Pro Bowl is as big of a joke as the NBA All-Star game. At least in the NFL, you don't have to be injured all year and still be elected as a starter. See Tracy McGrady, Yao Ming, Steve Francis, etc.

Fitzgerald getting in was a terrible decision. I think they simply felt bad for him.
  14. Risen Star

20,885 Messages
    7,305 Likes Received
    I didn't realize Dez had so many negative plays that stuck in people's minds.

I think you're reaching. He easily had one of the 5 best seasons from any WR this year.
  15. Risen Star

20,885 Messages
    7,305 Likes Received
    Fitzgerald was just force of habit. Great WR. Didn't have a pro bowl year.
  16. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,158 Messages
    1,837 Likes Received
    You're overestimating the power of that 1/3 vote. Every year, there are multiple cases of players who win the fan vote and do not make the Pro Bowl (Remember the Ryan Plackemier campaign?), just as there are players whom fans don't even vote into the top 5 (thanks AdamJT13 for the info) who end up starting.

Coaches and players on each team vote for only the top 4 WR in their conference. In all likelihood, Bryant was snubbed by NFC coaches and players who didn't believe he was even one of the top 4 receivers.

But you know what, you can forget all of that, just go back over the last 17 seasons that fan voting has existed, and you still won't find a receiver who was in the top 5 in his conference in receptions, yards, and TD at the close of the voting who was passed over in favor of five players who were not.
  17. percyhoward

8,158 Messages
    1,837 Likes Received
    I didn't mean to give you the impression that I was ignoring your point. Dez had fewer negative plays than most of the NFC's Pro Bowl receivers.

Drops
    CJohnson 14
    Marshall 13
    Cruz 12
    Bryant 11
    Jones 7

INT on Targets
    Marshall 7
    Cruz 6
    CJohnson 5
    Jones 3
    Bryant 2
  18. phildominator

phildominator Member

673 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I'd say LaDanian Tomlinson in 2003 was a bigger snub.
  19. percyhoward

8,158 Messages
    1,837 Likes Received
    They're both right up there, but I think Dez's was bigger. Tomlinson was leading the NFL in yards from scrimmage when the voting closed that year, but he finished 4th in the balloting (making him 1st alternate), and all three players ahead of him had more rushing yards and rushing TD than he did.

There were at least six WR in the NFC who got more votes than Dez, of which only three had more yards, only two had more catches, and none had more touchdowns.

Rank in rec/yds/td at close of voting
    Marshall 1st/2nd/2nd
    Bryant 3rd/5th/2nd
    CJohnson 2nd/1st/13th
    Cruz 3rd/8th/4th
    Jones 8th/6th/4th
    Jackson 11th/3rd/6th
    Fitzgerald 14th/20th/20th