1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Campo Years

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by parchy, Jun 19, 2006.

1. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,559 Likes Received
    Why do I see that misinformation posted about once a week? He was a free agent. He got offered starters money. He would have been a backup (and paid accordingly) here. There was this thing called a salary cap in place. We really couldn't keep hiim if we wanted to.
  2. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,559 Likes Received
    While that is true, he wasn't responsible for the draft or our salary cap issues.
  3. jcblanco22

jcblanco22 Active Member

1,334 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You know I always am Chief, even at the risk of being labeled as an incessant Gailey apologist, LOL.

Someone in this thread stated that Gailey might still be here had he not been undermined. I'm not sure if he'd still be around, but I do know that the guy could implement an offense that kept defenses off balance when he had healthy players.

Of the head coaches in Cowboys history, I think Gailey got turned on by certain offensive players (*ahem*, Aikman) and the fans quicker than anyone else.
  4. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,183 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    quite a contrast in those two photos.
  5. fiveandcounting

fiveandcounting New Member

1,592 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    [ And can you even imagine going back to that after seeing one of the all-time greats up close for three years? Oof. I get the willies just thinking about it.[/QUOTE]

He still hasnt won a playoff game so dont put him in the ring of honor yet
  6. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives. Zone Supporter

7,110 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    Yeah, I never understood that Gailey Aikman thing. Gailey could have made Troy a game winning QB vs. system QB....Oh well.

Of course what would have really been the best is that if Norv hadn't left right before Jimmy left...We could have handed the reins to Norv (Whom the whole offense respected) and Dave campo (not sure if he was DC yet, think def. backs coach) could or would have been know as a great DC, instead of a lousy head coach.

Norv as HC and any decent DC woulda, coulda...maybe more championships.
  7. JakeCamp12

JakeCamp12 Well-Known Member

2,144 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    If I remember correctly, Aikman was still pouting about Johnson and Turner being gone when Gailey was hired. Then he didn't like Gailey's offense because you adjusted the play to what the defense was giving you. He wanted to attack teams like they did when Johnson and Turner were calling the plays.
  8. Trip

Trip New Member

674 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No he wasn't.

But 4 consecutive Super Bowl wins, or even 5 because the Cowboys of the 90's were capable of that, would have made the losing a little easier when our talent level ultimately dropped off (because of Jerry screwing up the draft and the cap purging our depth).

The Campo era would have arrived ultimately because Jerry was hell bent on playing russian roulette in the draft every year... but Switzer was a joke... he lost complete control of his team... let them get complacent and UNDERACHIEVE. To me that's the ultimate factor in judging a head coach. Do you believe the team under achieved or not? Sometimes it's difficult to tell but I can't say the Cowboys really underachieved under Gailey or Campo.

I hope Switzer is stuck in an airport somewhere right now with about 30 cops asking him why he's trying to get a hand gun through security.
  9. kartr

kartr New Member

3,039 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Turned the team around under Gailey, you've got to be kidding. Eight of our 10 wins came against the NFC east that year which was being called the NFC Least, the other two wins came against teams with losing records. Our record was a sham and it showed in the home playoff loss to the Cardinals. Switzer had only one bad year and it was because of Ernie Zampese's offense, not Switzer's coaching, and it was Jerry who hired Zampese at Aikman's behest. Zampese sucked in Dallas, got fired, then got hired and fired in New England. Aikman didn't like Switzer, but liked Zampese. That's what caused us to underachieve in '97.
  10. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,249 Messages
    5,503 Likes Received
    And this was working with a player who fought him every inch of the way. That's one thing I do hold against Troy. He was very tempermental and pushy, especially after Irvin. His quabbles with Gailey and finicky tastes caused us way too many headaches. It just goes to show how great our chemistry was with all three on the team and how poor it was once the band was broken up.
  11. kartr

kartr New Member

3,039 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I totally disagree, Gailey had the tripletts, while Campo had a young team to coach. In Gailey's last year when we went 8-8, in 7 of those loses, we had double-digit leads at half time, with the tripletts, no less. That means that the other teams made half time adjustments, whereas Gailey did not and since he was also the offensive coordinator, it was his fault that we couldn't score in the second half of those games. Campo never was in control of the offense which differs from Gailey. In fact, neither Switzer or Campo controlled our offense;in both cases, Jerry Jones hired both Gailey and Zampese.
  12. kartr

kartr New Member

3,039 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Mickey Spagnola accidentally spilled the beans on the Aikman/Gailey problem in a Sporting News article. He said that Gailey expected his super bowl qb to read NFL defenses and make the proper read and Aikman's response was that he didn't like that system and wanted to go back to the old one. I couldn't believe that he actually said that about Aikman,but I agreed that's what part of the problem was, the other part being that Gailey didn't know how to call a game anyway,despite Troy's short comings. Deion Sanders also alluded to the fact that he knew of a certain 'star qb' who was getting his coaches fired and his teammates run out of town and it turns out that the qb was really the problem,although I only partly agree with that. Gailey was bad, no question about that, that's why he back to college. Even Jerry Jones admitted that Gailey was not one of his better hires, but he didn't mention that hiring himself as GM wasn't one his better hires either.
  13. Alexander

25,249 Messages
    5,503 Likes Received
    Apparently, you have a bad memory or I just imagined the entire 1999 season differently. Michael Irvin went down in the fourth game of the season. That makes Twins, not Triplets for twelve games out of that year. All of the losses were post-Irvin.
  14. kartr

kartr New Member

3,039 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Gailey was known for calling seven straight runs and then calling seven straight passes against Arizona, then saying after the game that you have to keep the opposition off balance by mixing things up. How's that better than Switzer or Campo?:rolleyes:
  15. kartr

kartr New Member

3,039 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Think about what you just said, the Cowboys under Turner didn't do anything fancy on offense, their talent allowed them to dominate, read OL. Aikman needed to grow in Gailey's system. Aikman didn't want to learn anthing different and Gailey didn't know how coach offense anyway. His claim to fame was the Kordell Stewart led Pittsburgh offense.:laugh1:
  16. parchy

parchy Active Member

2,252 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    You do know that Dallas isn't his first stop, right?
  17. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    karate choppin refs ey? :cool:
  18. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    he has a better record in Dallas than Campo's
  19. kartr

kartr New Member

3,039 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So the double digit half time leads don't count because Irvin was hurt, it couldn't be because of the seven straight runs and then seven straight passes. As good as Michael was, he wasn't the only receiver who get open or catch the football and he was nearing the end of his career anyway, remember, we drafted him in '88 and he had already started to slow down.
  20. Alexander

25,249 Messages
    5,503 Likes Received
    In 1997, he got Pittburgh (with Stewart at the helm) to the AFC championship. That's pretty impressive to me. And before Irvin went down, with Ismail, we had as explosive an offense as we had seen in ages. And even with the likes of Billy Davis and Ernie Mills, we could be effective. To say he couldn't "coach offense anyways" is not accurate. He just had a peculiar type of player that he liked. His successes in Pittsburgh and in Dallas speak to that.