1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The cornering of Jerry Jones

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by erod, Nov 28, 2012.

1. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Active Member

903 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    ^ Excellent point - Jerry is shrinking the fan base that was built over decades.

New generations will wonder why their parents thought GM and eventually the Cowboys deserved this kind of following.

Part of the reason I hope the Texans go to the Super Bowl is to make Jerry sweat.
  2. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,488 Messages
    1,735 Likes Received
    City nights, summer breezes makes you feel all right
    Neon lights, shinin' brightly make your brain ignite
    See the girls with the dresses so tight
    Give you love, if the price is right
    Black or white, In the streets there's no wrong and no right, no

Outta site, buy your kicks from the man in the white
    Feels all right, powder pleasure in your nose tonight
    See the men paint their faces and cry
    Like some girls, it makes you wonder why
    City life, sure its cool, but it cuts like a knife, it's your life

So forget all that you see
    It's not reality, it's just a fantasy

Can't you see what this crazy life is doin' to me?
    Life is just a fantasy, can you live this fantasy life?

So forget all that you see
    It's not reality, it's just a fantasy

Can't you see what this crazy life is doin' to me?
    I know, I know
  3. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,892 Messages
    905 Likes Received
    He's not going to step down anytime soon.

All of the talk about the TV Ratings excludes the fact that they are still extremely high and that nationally the TV ratings are still strong.

However, I believe that Jerry is the type that he refuses to give up even 1% of market share and will fight anybody, full bore, to not lose that 1%. Regardless of how much money he is. Jerry is a salesman by heart. And true salesman always believe there is more money to be had and refuse to give away market share.

The crux is that the local TV ratings going down, even if they are still high, provide a KPI for the Cowboys' business. But by the same token, Jerry has an insistence of being the GM.

My belief is that if Jerry ever steps down as GM, it will either be because he recognizes he's too old and health concerns and running the team are too much for him and he'll hand the reigns over to Stephen OR he will wait too long and will have permanently lost a bit of his market share.

I don't see the latter happening because all Jerry will do is if he's worried about the team's business not being up to his standards, he'll just hire a big name coach. That will give the fanbase hope and sales and TV ratings will rise again.

And for him to permanently lose market share will take a lot of time and a lot of consecutive losing/mediocre seasons. He could have 5 losing seasons in a row, get lucky with some personnel decisions and an easy schedule, hit the NFC Championship game and now the fanbase's morale is way up again.

For him to lose permanent market share, he will probably die before it ever happens.

I think what bothers me most about Jerry as the GM is how far he's gotten away from the principles that brought him success. We used to build thru the draft each year by stockpiling picks. It's hard to hit on a high % of picks, so stockpiling means you'll get more picks that you will hit on. In the meantime, that provides depth and keeps the veterans motivated.

We used to be able to trade somebody like Felix or Mike Jenkins, players no longer really needed, acquire some picks and stockpile the draft each year. And Jerry has said that since he's 'good at business', he was the guy in charge of trading since that is what he was good at doing.

And if his ego really matters to him, nobody cares about the 3rd round picks that bust if you stockpile enough picks and pull out gems in the 6th round.

If there's anything that boggles my mind and I think is stupid about Jerry, it's that.

YR
  4. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    The stadium was great in 05,06,07,09

Full of optimism.
  5. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    Really wanna see Jerry sweat? Hope the Rangers get Grenke and win the World Series. Then all the major franchises have own a title. And the Rangers would be setting up for a major 5 year run at multiple Series. Nolan Ryan would be the toast of the town ... it would be greatness.
  6. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,217 Messages
    839 Likes Received
    You're exactly right CL. If Jerry got Payton he would be looked like a genius and would sell out everything in a matter of days. The excitement would be in the air again. Keep JG, and while I will get excited about football again, won't be excited about the Cowboys.
  7. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,828 Messages
    1,447 Likes Received
    Then why resign Spencer if he's going to get a pass rusher?
  8. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,844 Messages
    608 Likes Received
    If the realist really want to hurt Jerry ......they will stop watching Cowboy games and stop all internet activities related to the Cowboys.
  9. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,651 Messages
    1,672 Likes Received
    Just one of the many reasons that night hurt in St. Louis so much. I wanted to see Jerry squirm under that dubious distinction.
  10. FLcowboy

FLcowboy Hopeful this is the year Zone Supporter

3,651 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Erod, quite a post.. I can tell you put a lot of thought into it, and you are speaking from your heart. Well done Sir, well done.
  11. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,545 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Ohhhh I like this!
  12. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,336 Messages
    397 Likes Received
    usually its someone external who opens the flood gates and it turns out Bob Costa was that guy. Since then there is noticeable change in tone toward Jerry. It will take time because Jerry is very proud man but his run as GM is coming to end regardless of how he feels about it. Don't be surprised to see some protest outside of stadium next year but we are still years away from Jerry stepping down as GM.

My advice: get involved in fantasy football. Its a great diversion and chance for you to make some extra money your wife/girlfriend will gladly support.
  13. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,651 Messages
    1,672 Likes Received
    Thanks. Ranting on Jerry kind of writes itself. :)
  14. GoCowboysGo

GoCowboysGo Active Member

959 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    I get the feeling Jerry wants to win a Super Bowl as GM without Jimmy (or the leftovers of the team that won one without Jimmy), and he won't quit until he does or he dies.
  15. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,651 Messages
    1,672 Likes Received
    Yep, scary ain't it?

But the pressure and animosity toward him has never reached anything close to these levels. It's getting ugly in Dallas.
  16. zrinkill

32,844 Messages
    608 Likes Received
    If they do not then they are just Jerry Jones enablers.
  17. GoCowboysGo

GoCowboysGo Active Member

959 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    Sorry, it's not scary, it's typical of him. Huge ego.

Except that while other GMs are out there working on the multitude of tiny details, Jerry is out there at strip clubs, making commercials, making tv show appearances, hashing out business deals, dealing with the NFL at the owner level, and so much more.

Jerry thinks he's the one who created the 1990's dynasty, when he was just a part of it.
  18. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Coming to this message board doesn't make Jerry any money. If I was on dallascowboys.com, that'd be one thing.
  19. Fritsch_the_cat

Fritsch_the_cat Well-Known Member

732 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    But, but, then how will we ***** and know what to ***** about?
  20. zrinkill

32,844 Messages
    608 Likes Received
    Yes it does ..... companies now use web search numbers to see what is popular.

The Dallas Cowboys remain at the top of the list.

As long as the Cowboys are popular Jerry Jones will continue to make money.

If you watch the Cowboys games or have any internet activities related to the Cowboys you are enabling the guy you hate so much.

True Story.