1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Cowboy Way and Dontari Poe

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by NeonDeion21, Apr 23, 2012.

1. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

1,983 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    Jason Garrett mentioned in his inauguration speech about doing things "The Cowboy Way" under his coaching tenure.

The 2011 Draft gave us an idea of what the Cowboy way is. 4 of the 8 players in the 2011 class were team captains in college. If you include DeMarco Murray who has served as a game-day captain for Oklahoma, the list includes 5 team captains.

Jason Garrett mentioned after the draft that he wanted to draft the right guys. When asked what kind of players he wanted to stay away from he said:
    To me, this seems to rule out a few types of players in the draft. Guys with inconsistent motors and players who have put other things ahead of football, such as a substance abuse problem.

The reason for this thread actually comes from a misconception about one player in this draft. Dontari' Poe has been linked and rumored to be a guy that Jason Garrett would want to avoid because of his lack of production at Memphis and his "workout warrior" label. I have come to the conclusion that this might not be the case at all.

Listening to Michael Lombardi on the B.S. Report with Bill Simmons, Lombardi mentioned how Poe is a hard worker, loves the game, and wants to become a great football player. I have read some scouting reports that have attributed his inconsistent play to playing too many snaps.

Another thing that was interesting about Poe is that he was a team captain at Memphis, which Coach Garrett obviously covets, and Poe also has the reputation of being very coach-able. With all of Poe's talent and desire to become a great football player, the rumors about Poe being the "apple of their (Dallas') eyes" could potentially be true.
  2. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Good so no Coples. Give me Ingram if the three headed cox-baron-decastro monster is gone.
  3. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,228 Messages
    430 Likes Received
    The more that comes out the more it looks like that Poe's lack of production in college had more to do with scheme and coaching than desire and effort.
  4. NeonDeion21

1,983 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    I think Coples is one who will not be considered even though he has massive upside and immense talent.
  5. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    i disagree he peeked as a junior , and sulked when they moved him to tackle as a sr. his lack of motor and look of disinterest spells bust to me but we shall see.
  6. NeonDeion21

1,983 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    I agree with you. I DON'T think Coples will be the pick nor should he.
  7. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,939 Messages
    545 Likes Received
    No way Coples isn't being considered whatsoever. That would be ridiculous. You're going to overlook a kid with all the talent in the world for 1 questionable year(where he had 7.5 sacks and 15.5 tfl playing mostly DT)? That's just doing a disjustice to your franchise to be honest. They would at least sit down and talk to the kid and see what he's about. If after that talk you didn't like him then fine, but no way he isn't being considered at all.
  8. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,837 Messages
    96 Likes Received
    Couldn't agree more. He has the most talent outside of Luck and RGIII
  9. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,939 Messages
    545 Likes Received
    I wouldn't say all that now......but I'd put him in the top 10 which should be a steal at 14.
  10. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,412 Messages
    2,291 Likes Received
    But look at the kid's physical skills... like 350lbs, runs the 40 in less than 5 seconds and puts up a ridiculous number of bench presses at the combine.

Look at the conference he played in. He was a "man among boys". Scheme and coaching killing his production? Really?

He could have been put at safety with one arm tied behind his back and he should still have dominated at that level.
  11. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,247 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    Some of this motor stuff is crap when talking about the big boys.

Show me a 320-340 pound DLman who doesn't get tired and take plays off in the NFL. That's why teams with deep rotations like Dallas had in the 90's were so successful.

Huge talented guys like Poe are left on the field much more in college than they ever will be in the NFL....same is true of Brockers...a 322 lb 20 year old still growing into his body.

With guys like this you have to look at effort and talent when rested or at crunch time.
  12. Canadian BoyzFan

Canadian BoyzFan Active Member

3,315 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Or the fact he was lining up 30-50 percent of time as a 5 technique DE. Former coaches have admitted he was misused in the defense they ran. This kid should be and is a true NT.
  13. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,422 Messages
    6,477 Likes Received
    Yeah, I don't see Poe as a character problem. It's become popular to criticize him though. So there ya go.
  14. Canadian BoyzFan

3,315 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Oh BS.
  15. MichaelWinicki

31,412 Messages
    2,291 Likes Received
    Nice backup argument there. :rolleyes:
  16. MichaelWinicki

31,412 Messages
    2,291 Likes Received
    Broaddus reported today that there is no interest at Valley Ranch in moving Ratliff to DE.
  17. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Here is what Mike Lombardi wrote about Poe today:

7. I believe there are more teams infatuated with Memphis defensive tackle Dontari Poe than any other player. He is rare -- not only in terms of size and speed, but also in his willingness to work hard on improving his skill set. His solid character is making a big difference, and many teams are willing to take a chance on developing his raw ability.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...-jones-up-courtney-upshaw-down?module=HP11_cp

I just can't see Kansas City passing on this guy. They might do it, but it's hard to imagine. I think a 34 team will draft him. Dallas didn't bring him in, but they have been linked to him. It's interesting.

I think the Dallas defensive line would be upgraded significantly (in talent) if they added Cox, Poe, or Brockers.
  18. Canadian BoyzFan

3,315 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    The part that most people don't seem to grasp about Poe is:
    -He played on an awful 2-10 Memphis team. He was game planned for.
    -He was misused imo as a 5 technique DE in a 3-4 defense along with some time at NT. He was awful at DE and this is where all the "bad tape" comments come from.
    -Watch him when he plays as a NT. He pushes double teams back and plays the run stoutly Guard to Guard.
    -The knock about low motor is bunk. Watch game highlights...he is all over the field trying to make plays.

He is by no means perfect and there are flaws, but don't believe everything you hear this time of year.

He is a NT ideally, and could play DT in a 4-3.
    I would be thrilled to trade down into the 20s to get this guy while picking up a 2nd.

Edit-found this from his position coach...very good read:

As much as anything, Poe was limited by Memphis' defensive scheme. His main job was to provide gap control, meaning he was supposed to occupy blockers while linebackers and safeties made tackles.

"Based on what Dontari was asked to do, he did the job," said Mike DuBose, former University of Alabama head coach who was the UofM's defensive line coach the last two seasons before being fired with previous head coach Larry Porter and the rest of Porter's staff after going 2-22. "He knew he could make plays if the scheme of our defense had been different, but he didn't complain about it. He was a team guy."
  19. MichaelWinicki

31,412 Messages
    2,291 Likes Received
    I think the guys physical skills are sick. I'm not seeing him in Dallas unless the Cowboy's braintrust is more inclined to move Ratliff to DE.
  20. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,272 Messages
    832 Likes Received
    The "real" scouts from what I've seen are saying its bunk. He needs better technique and was overused on a bad team where offenses identified him as the only player to worry about and the offenses he faced were spread offenses that got the ball out quickly.