1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Cowboy Way and Dontari Poe

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by NeonDeion21, Apr 23, 2012.

1. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,460 Messages
    962 Likes Received
    Poe can play end and nt in a 3-4.
  2. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,775 Messages
    2,519 Likes Received
    I just don't see him being type of 3-4 DE that Rob Ryan would want. I think that it's a smaller (thinner) guy who's going to run a little faster.

There was a post up above that mentioned Poe was playing out of position in college as a DE and that contributed to his poor performance.
  3. speedkilz88

20,460 Messages
    962 Likes Received
    All I can say is you are wrong. Dude can definitely play the five technique.
  4. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,659 Messages
    159 Likes Received
    I agree.

I don't care how they game plan, scheme you in college....you should have dominated.

There wasn't ONE single game that he completely dominated and flashed his potential.

Yes he may turn out to be a great pro but right now chances are he will be somewhere closer to Mike Mammula.
  5. Canadian BoyzFan

Canadian BoyzFan Active Member

3,315 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    He's not an end...for sure.
  6. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Poe's problem wasn't from a lack of effort...he would lose sight of the ball and lacked awareness at times didn't play with his hands and arms extended which prevented him from accumulating stats....he has the talent to be all pro he really does but if he doesn't have football awareness all the talent in the world won't do him any good...Teams just don't know what he is and whether they can coach him up
  7. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,389 Messages
    536 Likes Received
    If the top three targets thrown around are gone (Barron, DeCastro and Cox), then I would roll the dice on him. Spencer's signing eliminates an OLB in the first and most of the other candidates have their warts anyway. Out of all of them, he is the only one that you can argue had some really poor coaching at the college level.
  8. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,362 Messages
    1,993 Likes Received
    so now that there are clear comments completely contradicting what you said from his position coach and lombardi it is back to "dallas will not move ratliff to DE"

go figure:rolleyes:

IMO, we as fans, just dont know enough and make ridiculous statements

i am sure our front office has done their due diligence on him

i will accept it either way, if they pick him or pass on him

i will just not have a cow like some others on this forum if we pick him because he has the talent to completely change our defense if he is properly coached
  9. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    It did

Our defense was terrible and the coaching was worse. The Memphis D averaged giving up at least 30 or more points a game.
  10. AZBOYZFAN

AZBOYZFAN New Member

123 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What I have read is that Poe was the only player that people had to account for on that defense and that in large part they played him out of position at DE
  11. AZBOYZFAN

AZBOYZFAN New Member

123 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  12. speedkilz88

20,460 Messages
    962 Likes Received
    Yeah, lets just bring out stupid Mike Mamula comments. These are two different kind of players, Mamula would be an OLB in the 3-4 and all the crap about Mamula being only a workout warrior is bunk because he didn't pan out. He had a great college career. 12 sacks as a junior and 17 sacks as a senior.(finishing with 4 sacks in his bowl game) Mamula had two seasons in the nfl where he had 8 sacks and 8 1/2 sacks, but he just wasn't big enough to play DE at 248 pounds. He should have been at OLB in a 3-4 like Ware.
  13. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,833 Messages
    2,691 Likes Received
    The whole "Cowboy Way" and "right kind of guy" is pretty much bunk anyway. Every coach wants hard working players who don't get into trouble... Every coach. But if they don't have talent, it won't matter. You aren't winning games in the NFL with a bunch of Rudys out there. So at some point you have to compromise in some way... Just like Garrett has done with a guy like Ogletree.

As for Poe, who knows what to believe. But he's very talented and most people seem to believe he's a pretty decent person with a good enough work ethic, and those guys usually work out okay.
  14. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,776 Messages
    3,440 Likes Received
    I think this guy would change our defense a lot. You platoon him with Rat at NT. We play a lot fronts. He'd get his share of snaps. Rat needs to be platooned more IMO.
  15. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,015 Messages
    359 Likes Received
    I agree. Every coach wants the hard working guys who don't get into trouble. But some teams are more tolerable to "red flag" guys such as the Bengals and Lions.

Since Garrett became the HC in Dallas, he has seemed to weed out these guys from the team and from their draft board.
  16. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,775 Messages
    2,519 Likes Received
    I'd rather have DeCastro or Barron who would get 800-1000 snaps rather than Poe would get a 300-400.
  17. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,776 Messages
    3,440 Likes Received
    I'd rather have both but I certainly want Ratliff more rested. I suspect Poe would get more snaps than that. More like 50%. There's no reason not to put Rat and Poe on the field together at times. We play multiple fronts. They need to spell Spencer and Ware more often as well. We need talented depth in lots of places.
  18. speedkilz88

20,460 Messages
    962 Likes Received
    He would get snaps at both NT/DE and get way more than that. If you bothered researching at all he is projected to play more end as a rookie and be eased in at NT.
  19. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,465 Messages
    2,156 Likes Received
    He can line up there for sure.

As to whether he can actually play any position, I think that's up for debate.