1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Cowboy Way

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by robert70x7, Dec 3, 2012.

1. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I have noticed a trend since Garrett took over and the type of players that the team has taken. I went back and looked at the Scout's Inc. profiles of all of our picks to see what I could dig up. I was mostly interested in the categories of "intangibles".

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Scouts Inc. grading system, each category per player is ranked on a scale of 1-5 (1 being best). To give you an example, Bruce Irvin had a 5 for his intangibles last year.

When I went back and looked at the draft picks, here's what I dug up. I will copy and paste a couple of sentences to show you exactly what I am talking about.

Tyron Smith - 3

Recipient of the 2010 Morris Trophy Award for the most outstanding offensive lineman of the Pac-10 voted on by his peers. Hard worker both on and off the field. Work ethic is adequate but not as intense and passionate about the game as NFL teams want to see.

Bruce Carter - 2

Dedicated and loves the weight room. Outgoing personality. Brings added value as a special teams standout and blocked six kicks during career, including three against Connecticut in 2008.

DeMarco Murray - 2

Good student and handles his business both on and off the field. Has shown the mental toughness to work through an injury plagued career.

David Arkin - 1

Named team's Co-Player of the Year and Co-Offensive Player of the year Award in 2010. Named team's Offensive Lineman of the Year 2007-2009. Named Offensive Scout Team Player of the year in 2006. All Academic First Team in 2009 and 2010. All Academic Second Team in 2007 and 2008. Graduated with a degree in construction management in December of 2010.

Josh Thomas - 1

Quiet and humble personality. Hard worker and well-respected by coaches and teammates. A dual-sport athlete; also a sprinter on Buffalo track team. Tough competitor. Plays with a chip on his shoulder.

Dwayne Harris - 1

Hard worker on the field and during off-season work-outs. Highly accountable and respected by both coaches and teammates. Brings added value on special teams and had three kickoff returns for touchdowns last season. Earned the offensive unit's annual Effort Award in 2008.

Shaun Chapas - 1

Selected team's overall permanent captain in 2010. Earned Coaches Leadership Award for Special Teams, Leon Farmer Award for dedication to strength and conditioning program and David Jacobs Award as the player who by example portrays courage, spirit, character and determination in 2010. Earned True Grit Award in spring of 2010. Named team's most consistent running back at the conclusion of 2009 spring drills. Named one of the team's most improved players in 2007 and 2008. Excellent student that has been on Athletic Director's Honor Roll the past three years and made Dean's List in summer of 2009.

Morris Claiborne - 1

"Versatile athlete. Began career at LSU at WR but moved to CB in fall camp. Played QB, WR and DB in high school. Solid work ethic. Mature for his age. No off the field issues to our knowledge. Good mental makeup for the position."

Tyrone Crawford - 2

"Windsor, Ontario native. Very coachable. Works hard on and off the field. Appears to have good football character. No off the field issues to our knowledge."

Kyle Wilber - 1

A well rounded individual. Hard worker and takes coaching well. Respected by coaches and teammates. Named a team captain as a senior.

Matt Johnson - N/A

Danny Coale - 1

Accountable and a relentless worker. A well rounded and respectable individual. Has a team first mentality. Brings added value as a versatile special teams' player including showing the ability to punt in emergency situations. Graduated with a degree in finance in December of 2010 and is currently on pace to earn a second undergraduate degree in market management.

James Hanna - 3

Hard worker that goes about his business. Handles his responsibilities on and off the field. No red flags.

Caleb McSurdy - N/A

Even though the profiles for Matt Johnson and Caleb McSurdy were not available, from what I remember these players were both seen in similar ways (high character). This can not be a coincidence. I know I always saw it here where people would say that we are shifting towards high character guys, but this really proved it for me.

When I was looking at people that the Cowboys might be interested in last year, this was something that I probably did not take as seriously as I should have. When we're looking at players the Cowboys might be interested in, this is something that we have to take into consideration.

Just wanted to share.
  2. Outlaw7

Outlaw7 New Member

23 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This is very interesting assessment. It fits with the RKG theme.

If I post a list of players, would you mind taking a moment to look over their intangible rankings?
  3. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    The only problem is I'm not sure how deep the current Scout's Inc. list is this year. Out of the top 100, I would say there is around 10 that do not have characteristic trait grades. After that, I know they still have a lot to fill in. Also, sometimes the grades will change to include the 2012 season, but I can not remember when they update that.

Give me the names and I'll look them up. This draft seems like there isn't that many issues. No Janoris Jenkins, Vontaze Burficts, Bruce Irvin, Alfonzo Dennard, or Mike Adams. Still early, though.
  4. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

5,203 Messages
    556 Likes Received
    By the time the combine rolls around, 50% of the players will have concerns of one type or the other. By draft day, 95% will be rumored to have problems. lol
    Teams get nervous and the media overblows any rumor that they can. Ryan Mallet dropped to the third round despite being the most NFL ready QB in his class. No criminal record or arrest, but he was thought of as a drug lord. He hasn't had the first problem with the Pats and they got Brady's replacement cheap.
  5. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    He was arrested in March 2009 for public intoxication, which would have made him 20 years old at the time.
  6. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

5,203 Messages
    556 Likes Received
    He had no drug charges. I should have made myself clear. The drug thing was blown up like he was a crack addict.
  7. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I agree, I remember that like it was yesterday for some reason. Local kid, too.
  8. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

5,203 Messages
    556 Likes Received
    He should have bren a Cowboy for a third round round pick and Marcus Cannon should have been taken in the fifth. The Pats got great value with picks. A first and second round talent drafted in the third and fifth is a homerun by anybody's standards.
  9. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Who would you rather have? Mallett or Murray? I agree that it was a missed opportunity to grab him 'late', but New England pounced on it. No one knows what will happen when he eventually gets to play. I am a subscriber to what the Goose says about drafting quarterbacks. Follow your board, and if one fits why not take a shot? Look what teams have done when they develop their young QBs, they sometimes can get a lot in return. Plus, developmental QBs would probably have had more of an impact on this team than 75% of our draft picks over the past 4 years anyways.

Wasn't Cannon the guy who was diagnosed with some type of cancer right before the draft? I think that's the reason he fell so far.
  10. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

5,203 Messages
    556 Likes Received
    I would have went with the first round talented QB.

Cannon had s very curable form of cancer and doctors said it would only set him back for a few months. He is better than Free and would start at RT in Dallas.