1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: The Cowboys’ D-Line Pursuits: ‘The Delicate Dance’

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Mr Cowboy, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,418 Messages
    729 Likes Received
    DALLAS, Texas (105.3 THE FAN) – The Dallas Cowboys are involved in a “delicate dance’’ as they work to rebuild their defensive line.

DeMarcus Ware is released and visiting Denver. Jason Hatcher is a free agent and visiting Seattle. Henry Melton, the Bears’ free agent, is in the neighborhood of Valley Ranch. And names old (Anthony Spencer) and new (Robert Ayers?) are on the radar.

Sources say Dallas has Hatcher and Melton atop its wish list. They play the same position (3-technique), are represented by the same agent (Jordan Woy), are beloved by the same defensive coordinator (ex-Chicago boss Rod Marinelli is now in Dallas) and each has some level of baggage.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/03/12/the-cowboys-d-line-pursuits-the-delicate-dance/
  2. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,066 Messages
    2,486 Likes Received
    I honestly at this point am thinking I don't want either one.

Let's just rebuild completely fresh.
    manster4ever likes this.
  3. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,382 Messages
    534 Likes Received
    I tend to agree. Perhaps Melton if he comes at a reasonable cost and he medically checks out, but otherwise there is little point in investing money in players in their 30s. Bring in young players and see what they can do.
    casmith07 likes this.
  4. Wolf2k5

Wolf2k5 Active Member

845 Messages
    183 Likes Received
    I would greatly appreciate Spencer's ability to walk being included in a minimum deal if we go that direction
  5. Wolf2k5

Wolf2k5 Active Member

845 Messages
    183 Likes Received
    Ayers,Melton,Crawford/draft pick, spencer as the line next year? Not sexy at all but I'm not sure the D could get any worse
  6. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,814 Messages
    423 Likes Received
    If you can get Melton at a nice figure you go get him. Hatch might out price himself out of Dallas unfortunately, his leadership and talent will be missed.
  7. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,799 Messages
    7,160 Likes Received
    I envision Rod Marinelli being called into Coach Jones' office for a sit down. Stephen reads off the available DL names one by one. Rod provides the nicknames. Coolest nicknames get the call for a visit.
    car351 and jwitten82 like this.
  8. boysfan69

boysfan69 New Member

28 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    what about Robert Ayers for the right price
  9. manster4ever

manster4ever Active Member

382 Messages
    108 Likes Received
    Well, that's my strong opinion of it as well casmith. I know people are enamored with Melton and he's a good player, but he's coming off an ACL and money wise, it makes no sense to lay out that much at this point. Will he be a difference maker that could push us from 7 wins to 9 and a playoff appearance? Doubtful. This thing needs to be torn down completely and built back up. I have my doubts as to the Jones' ability to do that but at least it appears they're leaning heavily in that direction after all the bad contracts they've written the past 10 yrs.
  10. manster4ever

manster4ever Active Member

382 Messages
    108 Likes Received
    He owes this organization IMO but I doubt he feels that way. I don't expect him back either.
  11. DC Cowboy

DC Cowboy Member

501 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    this

after 17 years of nothing, this is my attitude. Let's go strictly with the draft. I don't want to sign anyone for the next couple of years.