1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Cowboys are the only team in the NFL who haven't attempted a 4th down conversion

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by HappyOnions, Nov 19, 2013.

1. HappyOnions

HappyOnions Datwin

903 Messages
    534 Likes Received
    I heard this fact on Fox Sports radio last week. Is this indicative of anything or just a irrelevant, useless tidbit of information?
  2. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,520 Messages
    931 Likes Received
    We are not aggressive, not who we are under JG.

It can be 4th and a grain of sand, and we won't even give it a thought. Just not who JG is.

Not who he is, we start now, it will be forced and come off as fake and not being himself. Proof of that is gift wrapping the ball for Detroit, while throwing in a bonus, which was plenty of time.
    tantrix1969 and Muhast like this.
  3. goshan

goshan Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

1,884 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    Scary ridiculous.
  4. dupree89

dupree89 Well-Known Member

1,994 Messages
    1,127 Likes Received
    Garrett has witnessed enough 3rd down debacles that when it comes to 4th down....he says...to hell with it, lets punt.
    perrykemp likes this.
  5. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,149 Messages
    2,673 Likes Received
    Well we are so good on 3rd down that we rarely ever even get to a 4th down..........................oh wait.
    Muhast likes this.
  6. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,178 Messages
    5,660 Likes Received
    yeh heard this stat the other day too. not sure what to make of it bc there haven't been many opportunities to do it since we can't even get close on 3rd down to go for it on 4th.
  7. munkee

munkee Member

342 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    We have seen an early game onside kick, but no attempts on 4th down. Crazy stat this late into the season.
  8. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,955 Messages
    4,998 Likes Received
    We can't afford to gamble on offense with the state of our defense this year.
  9. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,103 Messages
    2,313 Likes Received
    Have the Cowboys yet been in a situation where a fourth down attempt would be prudent?
  10. dupree89

dupree89 Well-Known Member

1,994 Messages
    1,127 Likes Received
    I would argue that its the exact opposite....that with a bad defense you need to take some chances. But I also see where you are coming from. And I dont argue with staff members!
    dogberry, Coy and big dog cowboy like this.
  11. HappyOnions

HappyOnions Datwin

903 Messages
    534 Likes Received
    But shouldn't the state of our defense make us more inclined to go for it and keep them off the field?
    CaptainMorgan likes this.
  12. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,149 Messages
    2,673 Likes Received
    I actually think the opposite is true.

Reality is that unless we get a turnover, the other team is going to score. I mean, we force like 1 punt a game?
  13. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,955 Messages
    4,998 Likes Received
    I agree the opposite could be seen as true also.

Oh, I don't argue with staff members either. ;)
  14. DallasJ7

DallasJ7 Active Member

506 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    I recall during the San Diego game, Bailey attempted (and missed) a 56 yarder; I don't recall the precise distance though. I want to say it was 4th and 5 or so, which I think is prudent in today's NFL (there's situational factors to take into account of course), but a lot of coaches don't like to go for it between the 35-40 yard line unless it's 4th and short.
  15. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,717 Messages
    686 Likes Received
    I think it's because we're so bad on 3rd down, that going for it on 4th doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The defense is coming on the field either way. Might as well kick.
  16. coult44

coult44 Well-Known Member

1,558 Messages
    877 Likes Received
    Please, let's keep this to ourselves. If JG hears about it, he might attempt 6 of them this week alone...
    stasheroo, DuceizBak and Zman5 like this.
  17. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,864 Messages
    1,461 Likes Received
    when you can't run the ball, you don't go for it on 4th down...that is the down that you don't get cutesy with play action, etc....and, I find it hard to believe that there wasn't a game this season at the end where we had to go for it on 4th down or the game is over....
  18. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,684 Messages
    544 Likes Received
    The should just stop punting, go for it on every 4th, always try an onside kick and blitz on every defensive play. Go out in a blaze of ginger glory Garrett.
  19. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,016 Messages
    506 Likes Received
    Yes It should unfortunately the offense has been just as inept as the defense.
  20. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,689 Messages
    4,963 Likes Received
    Not sure, but I heard Captain Munnerlyn of the Panthers make an interesting comment the other day when asked why the Panthers D, while being somewhat undermanned on the back end of the defense, is being so successful and how Rivera went from possibly being fired early in the year to being safe now.

He mentioned that Rivera suddenly started taking risks, knowing his job was in jeopardy. He specifically commented that when Rivera started going for it on fourth downs (and being successful) that it motivated the rest of the team to reward his risk-taking with better effort, concentration and execution.

The players then saw that he was putting his neck out on the line and they were responding with excitement that he was pushing all of his chips to the table for them. Could be all empty talk, but he did express this specifically.

Team dynamics are interesting and do not apply to every situation, but that was somewhat intriguing to hear.