1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Cowboys Next QB Will Be...

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by IAmLegend, Nov 25, 2012.

1. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

3,615 Messages
    1,066 Likes Received
    Will never happen. He's going to be a top 3 pick, most likely to the Chiefs.
  2. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,324 Messages
    912 Likes Received
    Jerry's going to take another look at Ryan Leaf.:laugh1:
  3. Hailmary

Hailmary Well-Known Member

2,265 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Yea, his immaturity has been well documented. It's a hard call to make when deciding to invest so much on a player. On one hand, you fear he won't grow out of his poor decision making and have him turn out to be another Ryan Leaf. On the other, you give him a pass for being a 20 year old kid and figure he'll mature into adulthood.

As for his concerns on the field, I think that depends mightily on the coaching he gets.

My biggest concern with this kid is his height. He is listed at 6'6". If you look back at all the qbs 6'6" or taller, there haven't been too many success stories. The only one that I can think of off the top of my head is Joe Flacco.

I love his arm though......
  4. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,831 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    Yes. Let's start a Johnny Football bandwagon.
  5. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,794 Messages
    1,070 Likes Received
    I think Manziel will make a positive impact at the next level. That said, I am sure there are more prototypical prospects out there. This will be a fun thread. Just the conversation around the next big field general is exciting.
  6. IAmLegend

3,615 Messages
    1,066 Likes Received
    I'll add to my previous post by saying that Manziel is only a freshman.. he's going to play 4 years of college because he's not a good pro prospect. So he wouldn't be here for 4 more years anyways.

I think he'll win 2 Heismans (he's winning it this year) and a National Championship before his college career is over though. He'll be a CFB legend when it's all said and done.
  7. IAmLegend

3,615 Messages
    1,066 Likes Received
    I'm not concerned about his height. I think success depends on the individual's abilities, not how tall he is. With that said, he definitely needs to to bulk up. He only weighs 215 lbs. At 6'6 that is way too small. And i'm sure he will with time. I agree with you on the arm though. He's got a cannon. Depending on where he is projected to go, if he's available in the 2nd or 3rd when we pick then i'd say go for it. I wouldn't trade up to get him though.
  8. Hailmary

Hailmary Well-Known Member

2,265 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    No doubt he needs to bulk up.

As for the height thing, common sense would say you are right that height shouldn't determine a qb's success on the field (so as long as he isn't too short). But, oddly enough, once a qb reaches the 6'6" mark, there aren't a lot of success stories. Granted players at any position rarely reach that height in the NFL, so you're naturally going to have the percentages skewed a bit....but you'd think that being that tall would be an advantage for a qb.

Maybe it's just a freakish coincidence 'cause there are a number of 6'5" qbs who enjoyed success.
  9. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,454 Messages
    612 Likes Received
    No love for Teddy Bridgewater?? He would have probably challenged for the #1 pick had he been eligible for this upcoming draft.

[IMG]
  10. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,530 Messages
    1,137 Likes Received
    Still think Landry Jones is the man for this team! How can anyone not agree? I see huge pocket passer all over him huge arm. Guy is smart and a damn good player
  11. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,794 Messages
    1,070 Likes Received
    Kinda random but... Kaepernik has those intangibles that you just can't teach. Alex Smith, say hello to the pine.
  12. IAmLegend

3,615 Messages
    1,066 Likes Received
    Bridgewater is a stud. I imagine he'll be the first QB drafted next season when he becomes eligible. He's the only reason Louisville was even relevant this year and made it all the way to their #11 ranking. I doubt the Cowboys will have any shot at getting him barring a major trade which is unlikely. JJ is more likely to draft a QB in a later round and develop him or sign one in FA.
  13. maxdallasfan

maxdallasfan Well-Known Member

1,184 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    Newton would get destroyed here. I'd rather have..gulp....Vick than Newton.
  14. D29Murray

D29Murray New Member

378 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Um no. He's a damned egotistical headcase who only cares about himself.
  15. hutch1254

hutch1254 Well-Known Member

1,434 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    Scam is currently the most selfish person in the league right now in my opinion.

Despite the athleticism I really want nothing to do with the guy. I'm enjoying watching him struggle this year.
  16. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,354 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    There is no developing quarterbacks. There's only drafting talent.

And why wouldn't they trade? Especially the way that Jerry was salivating over Griffin Thursday.
  17. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,354 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    For everyone who thinks we should draft a quarterback in a later round and quote-unquote groom him ..... did you watch the game Thursday? :) That's what we're going to be dealing with for the next dozen years. Do you really want to face an elite qb with a fourth-round talent?

Besides that, if the Chiefs take Geno or someone else in the first round, then the Cowboys will be the franchise with the longest gap for using a No. 1 on a quarterback, other than the Saints.
  18. IAmLegend

3,615 Messages
    1,066 Likes Received
    Cam looked really good tonight, albeit against the terrible Eagles defense. 18-28 for 289 yards w/ 2 passing TD's and 2 rushing. He's going to bounce back from this slump and in a couple seasons Jerry Jones will make him an offer he can't refuse. (only slightly kidding)
  19. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,108 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Romo is going to be around for at least 4 more years folks... So start studying 2015-2016-2017 prospects
  20. Prossman

Prossman Active Member

946 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    Johnny "Mr Football" Manziel!!!! :starspin