1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Cowboys problem is not that Complicated

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by xwalker, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,913 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    I have yet to hear anyone on this board say that the o-line is playoff caliber. If anything, I think we are all in agreement that no one on this o-line is worthy except Smith. And Costa. :D
  2. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,104 Messages
    1,368 Likes Received
    Maybe we should change the team name to "Box of Chocolates"
  3. ufcrules1

7,104 Messages
    1,368 Likes Received
    That is your best post of all time on this forum. Bravo!
  4. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,821 Messages
    226 Likes Received
    The Cowboys lose because they play dumb football.
  5. jayhouston12

jayhouston12 New Member

543 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Cowboys issue is a mental issue. When you talk about almost winning then it is a mental issue. Herm Edwards said it best "The cowboys are not mentally tough, when a play needs to be made no one steps up"

it's not about putting up big numbers on the ground, You can run the ball 36 times for 43 yards and still win a game because the defense has to respect the fact that you may just run the ball.....it would help if you ran it 36 times for 211 yards but I see garrett not totally abandoning the run and the 17 carries for 19 yards was fine with me....

it is a mental issue and discipline. this team finds ways to lose, and every win we've had this year was giftwrapped to us. We haven't won a game this year the other team just decided to play cowboys football and beat themselves first and then try to beat the other team
  6. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

2,719 Messages
    239 Likes Received
    Lack of Focus.
    Lack of Hustle.
    Lack of Emotion.
    Lack of Discipline.
    Inconsistent.

Moving on..

I hope Dallas rights the ship starting Sunday Night and they go on a tear.. Giants style.
  7. ufcrules1

7,104 Messages
    1,368 Likes Received
    The OL is blown out of proportion big time. I don't have the stats but if I had to guess I would say our OL is middle of the pack in the NFL. That is good enough to win games. The problem is boneheaded mistakes from a team that is poorly coached and has a bad culture due to an owner who wants to meddle in everything and won't hire a true GM.
  8. ufcrules1

7,104 Messages
    1,368 Likes Received
    So we have a list of things we lack and all we can rely on is hope and change? Not happening again this year. Be prepared for 8-8 or worse and 14 or 15 in the draft AGAIN.
  9. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,913 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    There is always hope and faith. I think, however, they are in the PROCESS of packing and going to Cancun a little early this season.
  10. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

2,719 Messages
    239 Likes Received
    I already had em at 8-8 in the beginning, so, wouldn't be a suprise for me.
  11. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So, in conclusion...

You say the problem is "The Cowboys can’t consistently RUN the Ball". I can't fault Murray because he's injured - when he's not we can run the ball.

So it falls on Felix Jones,

and one of the resons you posted?

Felix is an idiot.
  12. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,039 Messages
    3,513 Likes Received
    I see the problem as this team finds ways to beat themselves. Early in the game guys (not always the same guy) will make big mistakes that put us in a hole and we spend the rest of the game trying to dig our way out of it.

Turnovers have been a big killer and we don't just turn the ball over we turn it over deep in our own territory leaving the opponent with at least a chance to put 3 on the board.

Team really needs to work on protecting the ball better than they have.

Games are not just won by the team who makes the most plays it is often determined by which team makes the most mistakes.
  13. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,028 Messages
    5,380 Likes Received
    Of the division leading teams, the Falcons have played the most games against teams with losing records. The 49ers have played the least games against teams with losing records.

Percentage of Games against teams with losing records:
    Falcons 86%
    49ers 25%

Rushing Yards Ranking:
    Falcons 24th
    49ers 1st
  14. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,368 Messages
    616 Likes Received
    You can run for 200+ yards. With 4-6 turnovers a game....add in the stupid penalties......YOU AIN'T WINNING.

Very simple.
  15. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,028 Messages
    5,380 Likes Received
    One of the primary points of the post is that the lack of a running game creates more turnovers. This is due to tighter coverage windows, more pass rush pressure due to playing from behind and lack of respect for the running game, RBs getting hit in the backfield, etc..
  16. D29Murray

D29Murray New Member

378 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Right. Cause the numbers below are spectacular.

NYG / 20 - 131
    SEA / 12 - 44
    TB / 18 - 38
    CHI / 11 - 24
    BAL / 14 - 93
  17. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,039 Messages
    3,513 Likes Received
    It can but then one of the big turnovers came off the run when Felix had the ball knocked out. I'm all for running the ball and I know the importance of the pass especially when you are down in a game trying to get back into the game.

Dallas did not run a lot? of course not we were trailing from the get go at that point running only accomplishes a team to run the clock out on themselves.
  18. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,368 Messages
    616 Likes Received
    Not necessarily.

You run the ball more there's a chance of a fumble.

You throw the ball more there's a chance of a pick.

They're turnovers. Which we have a ton of. Can't have that, period.
  19. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    -11 is the stat that matters.

Until this team stops giving the ball away like Pez candy then they are not going to make the playoffs and they are not going on a 6-2 run.

Until ball security is taken serious by the players on this team they are not going on any big winning streak.
  20. coogrfan

coogrfan Well-Known Member

1,527 Messages
    223 Likes Received
    PFF's OL rankings as of 10/24/12:

In a rather crude way we’re adding together the cumulative grades for every offensive linemen on a team to give a score for every team. With teams having played different numbers of games this number has been divided by how many games they’ve played to give an average score per game in each area.
    Let’s start with the worst shall we?
    (PB = Pass Block rank, RB = Run & Screen Block rank, PEN = Penalty rank)

25. Dallas Cowboys
    PB = 24th, RB = 13th, PEN = 31st
    The Cowboys’ offensive tackles were able to match the 17 penalties of the Seahawks, while also giving up 40 combined sacks, hits and hurries between them. They have been getting better as the weeks have gone on though.

Note that these rankings were compiled prior to last Sunday's game, we may well have dropped a couple notches since then.

Full article here: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/24/offensive-line-rankings/