1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Dallas Cowboys ‘DID’ Strike Gold With Alex Tanney!

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Denim Chicken, Aug 22, 2013.

1. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

11,478 Messages
    1,089 Likes Received
    There's also a reason Alex Tanney has been cut by 2 different teams including KC who was in desperate need of a QB. You have to figure KC took hard look at him.
  2. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,379 Messages
    4,229 Likes Received
    Thank goodness people know talent when they see it. Otherwise Unitas would've stayed in PA. Plenty of QBs start out with no NFL starts. Actually 100% of them.
    randy932 likes this.
  3. KJJ

11,478 Messages
    1,089 Likes Received
    So you would feel comfortable cutting Orton and going with Tanney as Romo's backup? I'm not saying Tanney doesn't have potential and to cut him I'm saying he's not ready to be the backup. Most of the QB's with no NFL starting experience who start are first round draft picks. Russell Wilson a 3rd round draft pick was an exception last season. Romo had never started an NFL game when he became the backup and eventual starter in 06 but he worked his way up to becoming the backup and the starter over a 3 year period. Tanney was looked at by 3 different NFL teams before ending up with the Cowboys so it's obvious he needs a lot of work. This is his first season with the Cowboys he's simply not ready to have to start a regular season game at this stage giving the team a realistic chance to win. The Cowboys would have little to no chance to win games with him if Romo were to go down.

Maybe in another year with the Cowboys he'll be ready to take that step but not now. Being a backup QB puts that player only one good hit away from leading your team. You need a backup with more playing experience than Tanney. Romo had 3 years of OTA's, mini camps and training camps with the team and played in a number of preseason games including an entire preseason game in 06. Tanney couldn't even lead the team down the field last week on a game winning drive against bubble players without throwing a pick. The kid has potential and I want to keep him but he's not ready to backup Romo.
  4. CowgirlCas

CowgirlCas New Member

2 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    lol good answer
  5. CowgirlCas

CowgirlCas New Member

2 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    How many NFL starts did Romo or Brady have when they first brought them in as late round and undrafted? Tanney had an unfortunate start to his career and got injured in his 1st preseason game in KC. They signed the veteran Alex Smith and released him before they really had a chance to evaluate him. He was on the street because no other teams got to see what he can do and NFL teams "NEVER" take division III players seriously. One teams mistake became our good fortune! If anyone actually looks at Lucks numbers last year they were horrible he had a passer rating in the 70's. My theory is: never look a gift horse in the mouth!
    randy932 likes this.
  6. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

2,883 Messages
    387 Likes Received
    that is a good point but teams have seen film on him and atleast two teams have seen him workout. i think it all comes down to what he shows in these next two games. in a perfect world he would be ready to be the number 2 and we could cut orton and save some money without using an extra roster spot. that is a gamble to say the least but who knows what he can show in these next two games as well as what they see on the practice field from him. as pointed out by brymat, you have to weigh keeping him on the roster against what you could get in the draft in the next year or two also. if he can be a player then you save that pick for another area of need though
  7. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

4,095 Messages
    734 Likes Received

That's what most Giants fans would probably have said about the Giants prior to the 2007 and 2011 seasons.
  8. jobberone

38,379 Messages
    4,229 Likes Received
    Where did you see me state I'd cut Orton. Not a chance, That's deflection. All I've said is Tanney deserves a chance to develop.
    randy932 likes this.
  9. jobberone

38,379 Messages
    4,229 Likes Received
    Ur preaching to the choir. Sarcasm.
  10. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,322 Messages
    2,156 Likes Received
    But his accuracy has nothing to do with scrubs.

And what was your opinion of Romo back in the day. So many heralded him when he actually didn't do anything more than Tanney has done thus far.

I might roll the dice on Tanney's 53 man slot unless - wink wink - he has an injury that puts him on the PUP or something.

But his accuracy causes me to view him in the way Green Bay viewed Rogers when Favre was there. Perhaps a little early for that, but if the coaching staff see this kid will develop, then tell me what better place to be for this team than working with Romo daily for a few years.

And, there isn't a poster on this board that knows the day Romo's skill set will erode to a point that he needs replacing. Or his health does it for him.
    dogberry likes this.
  11. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

3,094 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    For sure. And I don't really think it's doable.

I don't see this team as trying to develop ANOTHER QB right now..even at 3rd string.

Romo just signed a huge deal and he'll play until he drops.

Rather than do all that with Tanney..why not draft a young arm and start there..?

No more projects like Romo.

Too long to develop Tanney.

Either Romo and Garrett really win now or Garrett is gone next year.

Leaving Romo and his big White Elephant deal to await the next coaching regime.

By then Tanney would split knowing Romo is going nowhere.
  12. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,450 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    We'll find out during these next two games. If he gets signifiant playing time and does well, we may be forced to keep him on the 53. However, if the Cowboys are looking to get him to the practice squad, he may not lay much during these next 2 games. We did it with Ben Bass last year. We just stopped playing him and were basically able to hide him on the PS.

So in a nutshell, if the next two games are all full of Orton and Stephens, then we'll probably know Dallas is looking to go PS with Tanney. Granted, Romo will probably play a good half this week, but that still leaves 6 qtrs of football.
  13. KJJ

11,478 Messages
    1,089 Likes Received
    You didn't say that it was an assumption. This was my comment you responded to "Absolutely not! How many regular season NFL starts does Tanney have? Nuff said!" That was my response to ShiningStars comment asking if anyone would cut Orton and go with Tanney as the backup. I just assumed by your reply to me that you wouldn't have an issue with Tanney backing up Romo. If Tanney was the backup Orton would most likely be cut or traded.
  14. jobberone

38,379 Messages
    4,229 Likes Received
    Didn't mean to be confusing. Nope. You keep all three. Tanney can't backup a tricycle right now. Orton is one of the best backups in the league and better than more than a few starters. He's flashed what you're looking for is all. He may or may not be able to start in this league but what I've seen says he deserves a chance to develop. I sure as heck wouldn't cut the guy or try to sneak him on the PS. The Cowboys may think O/W and that's what matters right?
    randy932 likes this.
  15. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,020 Messages
    5,048 Likes Received
    :eek: Ummmmm yeah what he said.
  16. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,793 Messages
    1,180 Likes Received
    You should know better. Once you play in camp you cannot be on the PUP list.
  17. TwoDeep3

6,322 Messages
    2,156 Likes Received
    I slept that day during Hero Worship 101.

How about Not Really Injured We Be Cheatin' List.
  18. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,189 Messages
    2,238 Likes Received
    That girl that wrote the blog is not bad :)
    Uh,onto the subject.
    There is a seemingly endless list of QBs who excelled in preseason who never did anything in their career. That goes especially for the ones who did it vs 2nd, 3rd, and 4th stringers.

I hope the kid sticks, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.
  19. TwoDeep3

6,322 Messages
    2,156 Likes Received
    How many of those guys could throw a pass and hit Rosie O'Donnell between the ham hocks at forty yards?
    randy932 likes this.
  20. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,486 Messages
    959 Likes Received
    Even if Orton actually is in decline this training camp, Tanney is too inexperienced at the pro level to be the answer as the backup. I would love to see us keep him on the 53, but not at the expense of cutting Orton. Who knows, maybe after a year on the 53 he'll be ready to be the backup.