1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Dawk speaks on T.O.

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Gryphon, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Gryphon

Gryphon Merge Ahead

3,389 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Eagle says best to fly minus T.O.
    By Mike Klis
    Denver Post Staff Writer

Honolulu - Brian Dawkins understands how the Broncos might be vulnerable to temptation.

A five-time Pro Bowl cornerback for the Philadelphia Eagles, Dawkins experienced three consecutive defeats in NFC championship games from 2001-03.

Hurting from getting so close to the Super Bowl but not getting there, the Eagles gambled on the talented but disruptive Terrell Owens before the 2004 season. And, Dawkins admits, Owens helped the Eagles take that one last step to the Super Bowl.

Now it's the Broncos who are smarting after losing the AFC championship game Jan. 22. The next day, several Broncos veteran players - perhaps speaking more from broken hearts than clear minds - said they would welcome Owens.

A week after that, Owens was in Denver, meeting with Broncos coach Mike Shanahan.

Yes, Owens could help the Broncos get over the top, Dawkins said. But what they might not understand, he added, is the agony of decline can be greater than the thrill of the climb.

"Every team has to make a decision, but if it was me?

I wouldn't," Dawkins said Wednesday after the NFC Pro Bowl team practice. "It was that costly. If you told me two years ago what happened was going to happen - including going to the Super Bowl and then everything that happened this year - I would still say no. I would take my chances on the guys we already had in the locker room.
    "Even if he helped us, it was just too much. Too much to go through."

The Eagles tumbled to 6-10 this season , and Owens received much of the blame. His public squabbles regarding his contract, quarterback Donovan McNabb and the Eagles' organization led to Owens essentially being suspended the final nine games.
  2. neosapien23

neosapien23 Well-Known Member

2,791 Messages
    65 Likes Received
    Don't these guys know they are only hurting themselves at this point? Right now the GM is trying to pick up and extra draft pick. Hey McNabb and Dawkins, STF. Quit killing your trade baits value.
  3. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,868 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I wonder if Dawkins can spell S-C-A-P-E-G-O-A-T, because that's what he and the Eagles organization are making out of T.O.

Dawkins did not decline because of TO, he declined because he's played safety and delivered crushing hits for ten years.

Likewise...

Did TO injure Donovan McNabb?
    Did TO fail to draft a single impact player despite being at the cusp of the Superbowl and being armed with 13 freaking draft picks?
    Did TO decide to not re-sign Corey Simon?
    Did TO decide to not sign an every down RB after Buckhalter got injured yet again?
    Did TO re-sign and overpay the brittle-butted Pinkston?
    Did TO sign Jevon Kearse and overpay him?
    Did TO design, implement, and call a 70-30 pass to run ratio?
    Did TO decide to lowball the best veterans of the Eagles including Terrell Owens and Michael Westbrook and others whom they have let go, overpay McNabb, and expect it not to affect team chemistry?

Yeah, TO did all that and more according to the media and Philthy organization. What a joke!
  4. neosapien23

neosapien23 Well-Known Member

2,791 Messages
    65 Likes Received
    Letting go of Derrick Burgess was absolutely stupid as well. The eagles had the cap space to sign both Burgess and Simon but their cheapness finally caught up to them.
  5. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,778 Messages
    491 Likes Received
    I actually respect Dawkins for being honest.

T.O. is a loser....period.
  6. Calicowboy

Calicowboy New Member

520 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Dawkins sounds like he is just expressing his own honest opinion. Doesnt sound to me as if he is trying to make excuses. He was asked, and he gave an answer.

Hurt the value of T.O? Nah, there will always be a taker for him, unfortunately.
  7. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It would be nice if this guy would get the position correct,
    Dawkins is an all world FS not CB. :rolleyes:
  8. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,997 Messages
    2,111 Likes Received
    Did TO design, implement, and call a 70-30 pass to run ratio?

Yes, if they didnt have to worry about feeding him the ball i bet they would have run more
  9. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The Eagles have to look in the mirror when it comes to last season, T.O. wasn't responsible for that giagantic collapse.
  10. Qwickdraw

Qwickdraw Benched

5,451 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Too little too late.
    I appreciate Dawks reserve during the T.O. saga but I heard him speak on it and he didn't have one bad thing to say. "TO is an Eagle. I support my teammate, blah blah bla"
    He should have stepped up and been the leader he is supposed to be proclaimed TO as a cancer when it counted. Now it's just a waste of breath.
  11. Ashwynn

Ashwynn Well-Known Member

3,439 Messages
    177 Likes Received

Your kiding right. Defending TO. Are you blind or just stupid. The proof is in his history. The 49ers, the ravens, the eagirls, the bronco (and he aint even signed by them yet). Hes a walking disater looking for a team to bring down.

no one questions his talent, but his 'me' attitude is on overdrive and disruptive to any team hes on. He thinks he bigger then the game. You cant work with a guy like that.
  12. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

27,152 Messages
    1,976 Likes Received
    :clap2:

Great Post!
    The Eagles were a choking/decling/overrated TEAM BEFORE Terrell Owens. If it makes the Eagles players feel better to scapegoat him then let them do it.

"One is truly not a failure until you blame others" - something like that....
  13. Phoenix-Talon

Phoenix-Talon Eagles Fan Liaison

5,024 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You know what ...some things are more important than trade bait values! Take TO for example ...no, I mean really take him! The watch your star turn into an asterisk!
  14. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,576 Messages
    1,696 Likes Received
    How does TO hurt the performance of other players on the field, unless they let him ?

How does he disrupt things, unless they let him ?

I mean, does he drop passes on purpose ? ... No
    Does he not block for others ? ... No
    Does he impact the defense in any way, on the field ? ... No
    Is his performance on the field a negative thing for the Eagles ?

I am trying to figure out, even if he is an idiot like many say, how does he affect others unless they are weak-minded or weak-willed and let him ?

How does he make the Eagles suck, if he is the best player at his position on the team ?
  15. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

80,841 Messages
    5,131 Likes Received
    Because manages to divide the team with his poor additude. Face it he is 2 for 2 in the NFL in creating problems for his team. Some poor idiot will make it 3 for 3 I just hope it is not Dallas. Teams that can't learn from others mistakes deserves what they get.
  16. WV Cowboy

11,576 Messages
    1,696 Likes Received
    I'm OK with not getting TO here, but San Fran hasn't really become great since he left.

And the Eagles still sucked after he left.

He is a dork, but blaming him for a team's losses seems like an excuse to me.

If he affects a team it is because they allow him to.

You don't have to like the guy, just tell him to shut up and play, and then you do the same.
  17. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,896 Messages
    1,249 Likes Received
    at least we now have some proof that neosapien23 is an Eagle-loving troll.

see, something good comes of even the least interesting threads.
  18. MinnesotaCowboy

MinnesotaCowboy Member

629 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    All I will say is I hope we don't sign this super receiver:rolleyes: to a contract and then become a major detraction to a our young team chemistry!:(
  19. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

80,841 Messages
    5,131 Likes Received
    Well I think teams perform better when they are not a team divided and that is what he manages to bring to the team he is on. Was the season TO fault? For the most part no but to a certain degree yes. It is hard to have the us against the world attitude when you have a team that is split in the locker room
  20. WV Cowboy

11,576 Messages
    1,696 Likes Received
    I wouldn't let one guy split my lockerroom, unless he wasn't performing on the field.

Weak leadership in the lockerroom.

Letting TO affect your team's performance is like letting a 2 yr old affect the way a family is run.

Who is in charge here ?

I still say TO can only impact what he is allowed to impact.