1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Eagles Have a Frickin' O-Line Coach as Their Defensive Coordinator

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by The Emperor, Jul 30, 2011.

1. The Emperor

The Emperor Marcus Aurelius Maximus

3,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Here. Read up on this schmo -- well, I shouldn't use that term. He went to Texas A&I, so that means he's somebody's cousin's nephew's brother-in-law's boss. That's how it goes around here. "I have insider knowledge that..."

Anyway, here's Juan Castillo's Wikipedia page. Read some of it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Castillo_(American_football)

The last time this guy coached on the defensive side of the ball, Johnny Carson was still doing The Tonight Show. Mullets were in their prime. 1989, folks, was the last time Juan Castillo coached defense. And do you know where he coached? At a frickin' high school in Kingsville, Texas!

Since 1989, he's done a combination of offensive line/tight ends for the Eagles and for Texas A&M-Kingsville. His longest tenured position was offensive line coach for the Eagles from 1998 to 2010.

Why am I brining this up? Because it doesn't matter what kind of talent they get up there on defense in Philthydumpia if they don't have the brains to use it.

That's not to say Juan Castillo is dumb, but it's to say he's not going to have what it takes in 2011 to make that Eagles defense anything near the aggressive defenses Jim Johnson cooked up for us.

So don't get worried that they have Nnamdi Asomugha and Dominic Rodgers-Cromartie and Asante Samuel. Who cares? They don't have the defensive coordinator skilled enough to know how to use them.
  2. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

13,570 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    Schmo, 'Pup,'?

He came up as a defensive player under Gil Steinke. Who, incidentally, was on the Giant staff with Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry. He put quite a few people into the professional ranks, many of which were All Pro as well as Hall of Famers. Eugene Upsahw starts off that listing...and his early jobs there, included a background around the defense as well.

And he didn't just get the job with Andy Reid, as well.
  3. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    enough! . who cares about the eagles this is a cowboy board god dangit
    :eagles:
  4. The Emperor

3,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sun Tzu in The Art of War said to know your enemy.
  5. The Emperor

3,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Okay. Where does Mr. Steinke's biography end and Juan Castillo's begin? Surely you're not attributing Gene Upshaw and All Pro and Hall of Famers to Juan Castillo.
  6. The Emperor

3,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    *Bump*

I'd like an answer to my questions.
  7. SA_Gunslinger

SA_Gunslinger Official CZ Ea-girls hater

4,787 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    the first rule of war is to know your enemy.

This is definitely an interesting point to consider, about the coordinator, and it has been firmly on my brain since they made the move. All I can say is, I BELIEVE that is a tough, tough transition to make at this level, however, Andy Reid is good at making moves, so I doubt he would do this if he wasn't supremely confident it would work.

Will be interesting to watch for sure.

:star:
  8. The Emperor

3,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Right. Because Sean McDermont was a big hit.

I think Andy Reid does exactly what you're saying with the offensive side of the ball. I don't think Andy Reid really has any acumen when it comes to the defense.