1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The endzone view showed what's wrong with

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by birdwells1, Nov 12, 2012.

1. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,366 Messages
    489 Likes Received
    the offense. Twice, when the Eagles blitzed I was shocked that we had no crossing routes called to beat the blitz. I saw receivers running straight up the field, those routes are long developing and aren't the best in beating man coverage. Was I wrong in what I saw if so lets hear it.
  2. Cas2800

Cas2800 Member

383 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Terry Bradshaw always says the best routes in football are the crossing routes. Miles used to be so good at it too.
  3. HowAboutThemCowboys

HowAboutThemCowboys Well-Known Member

2,887 Messages
    544 Likes Received
    If you have a chance to watch any all-22 footage, you will see that this is very common in Red's anemic offence.

.........and yes, it's spelled that way on purpose.
  4. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

2,812 Messages
    846 Likes Received
    No your not wrong. Our routes are long developing putting more pressure on our Oline and Romo. Garrett's playbook should be thrown out the window. It just doesn't fit with the skills of our offense.

We won in spite of Garrett's idiot playcalling.
  5. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I saw that from my couch. These WRs have no clue how to adjust a route based on the defensive look.
  6. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,366 Messages
    489 Likes Received
    I don't know if its the wrs or the offensive design but those blitz were begging to be beat with a crossing route.
  7. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,808 Messages
    772 Likes Received
    You'd think that with Miles Austin on the team, a crossing route would be a staple of the offense. The guy is almost guaranteed to get you a first down if he catches one.

I saw the same thing. A lot of people running away from the QB with looong routes. It's awful.
  8. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,460 Messages
    572 Likes Received
    They also seem to be against calling smoke and bubble screens to the wide receivers this season.
  9. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,147 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    Yep when I saw that angle, it was evident why the passing game tends to struggle. You have the two outside receivers running a route to nowhere down the sideline...right into the coverage the defense wants to play. Romo has nowhere to go with the ball.
  10. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,708 Messages
    1,916 Likes Received
    Garrett doesn't adjust his system to the talent that is available. Simple as that.
  11. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,708 Messages
    1,916 Likes Received
    He had Felix on a little checkdown in the flat if he wanted it but I doubt he would've got much.
  12. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,933 Messages
    1,000 Likes Received
    He's said exactly this.
  13. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,196 Messages
    1,542 Likes Received
    I think its on the coach...it's been the same way since he's been here.

My biggest gripe with JG's playcalling is that, rather than try to beat the blitz with quick hitters or screens, he's looking for big plays against it and hoping that the line holds. Wrong approach imo.
  14. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

5,419 Messages
    1,150 Likes Received
    How about the back shoulder pass to Austin. That was almost automatic in 2009-2010. But we don't throw that to him any more.
  15. Joe Rod

8,460 Messages
    572 Likes Received
    Garrett said he adjusted his scheme to suit his personnel?
  16. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,220 Messages
    368 Likes Received
    That he doesn't.
  17. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,933 Messages
    1,000 Likes Received
    This.
  18. Joe Rod

8,460 Messages
    572 Likes Received
    Got it, thanks for the clarification.
  19. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Garrett actually said that? Wow.
  20. Joe Rod

8,460 Messages
    572 Likes Received

I've never heard him say it, but I can see that in his schemes and even his "next man up" philosophy. IMO, He feels supremely confident that his plan for the team and his offensive philosophy in general will take the Cowboys to the highest level once he gets in the "right kind of guys" in every position.

I'm sure most people and media think that he us just using those terms as generalized answers to media questions (I used to), but he really feels that when he gets players with the right level of intelligence, work ethic and passion for the game in every position that the mistakes will stop and his offense will completely overwhelm teams.