1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The endzone view showed what's wrong with

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by birdwells1, Nov 12, 2012.

1. ANTHONYSCOTT

ANTHONYSCOTT Well-Known Member

1,226 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    Maaaaaaaaaaaaaan I feel ya! I said the same thing. All the WR's are running straight up the field! No one's crossing or doing a curl!!! you hit it right on the head.
  2. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great bass players Staff Member

35,429 Messages
    2,783 Likes Received
    Missed that. There has to be some plays open in this offense although some make me nervous. Why don't we run more 'pick' plays? And I don't remember seeing many stacked formations. Is that true?
  3. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

4,913 Messages
    181 Likes Received
    Pick plays are very tricky and require WRs to have good timing and precise routes.

It's not something I'm very fond of considering what we have in our wideouts and their abilities.

The game plan the offense used was good in how they wanted to spread the defense out and force the 1v1 matchups, the execution - which has been the story all year long - fell short at times for the reasons I listed earlier.

Something encouraging I saw is how Beasley drew a double team on him allowing Bryant to get a 1v1 against DRC on his TD catch.

The one stack set I saw we ran, was 2 plays before the Bryant TD catch.

Austin ran a vertical, and Bryant ran a drag underneath and caught the ball for a decent gain.
  4. jobberone

35,429 Messages
    2,783 Likes Received
    Man am I ever ready for us to develop a young WR without using a big pick...excluding Miles of course. Maybe he'll push OT.
  5. Bluestang

4,913 Messages
    181 Likes Received

The in/out route that Beasley ran from the slot was open all day. He runs that just as good as Wes Welker and if he can continue to draw double coverage you will see more opportunities for the guys on the outside.

I still want a speed guy on the outside for selfish reasons but the good thing is that KO is getting targeted less and less.
  6. Bluestang

4,913 Messages
    181 Likes Received
    I'll have to correct myself here, because we ran stack sets about a handful of times.
  7. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,036 Messages
    3,948 Likes Received
    The inside routes to Miles have been there. We've had some drops, and some situations where Tony's gone elsewhere. If they've dropped off, it's because we probably don't trust the interior protection. Pressure up the middle is an invitation for a batted ball and another pick.

Against PHI, we were getting inside leverage and we had opportunities early. When they started blitzing, it limited what we wanted to do in those situations as our OTs weren't holding up.
  8. Bluestang

4,913 Messages
    181 Likes Received

Smith got absolutely destroyed in pass protection by Trent Cole.
  9. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,231 Messages
    379 Likes Received
    During the off-season there was a thread that cautioned people from penciling in Smith at left tackle as though he would play at a probowl level. Smith is playing against better pass rushers and playing on a new side and he's struggled this year. He'll get better but for the 2012 season he's going to be below average.
  10. jobberone

35,429 Messages
    2,783 Likes Received
    Some of the problem is playing well together and recognizing stunts etc. I would love someone to look at the line and address this issue. I just don't seem to have the time right now to look at the all 22.
  11. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,321 Messages
    476 Likes Received
    I vote Callahan to do this (since he gets paid and all). :D
  12. jobberone

35,429 Messages
    2,783 Likes Received
    :laugh2: I doubt he will come on here to discuss it though. :)
  13. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,508 Messages
    147 Likes Received
    ........or instructed not to worry about it might be the opposite exteme.
    Either way riduculous
  14. Bluestang

4,913 Messages
    181 Likes Received

Smith and Free struggled with the wide 9 technique because that type of alignment is designed to get the OTs to widen their pass drops and gives the rusher room to beat them inside or outside.

Smith really struggled with Cole's power and he probably felt uncomfortable being stressed so wide in his pass sets.

After the first drive the Eagles were forced to blitz to get pressure, a sign that the 4 man rush needed help. Overall in the first half the offense did a good job with balancing the game plan.

PHI committed to stopping the run in the second half and so it forced Romo to pass more early on.