1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Fake Spike

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Teague31, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,278 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    That whole series at the goal line at the end of the first half was weird. TO gets the first down.. despite 1 timeout left, we let like 15 seconds run off. then the fake spike- that thing was real close to going to the other way for 100 yards. does anyone know if that was that a planned call or romo ad libbing? and then we kick a FG, timeout still in our pocket.. terrible time management again.
  2. thekavorka

thekavorka New Member

1,769 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    i have no idea what was up with the fake spike. parcells looked pissed

bad throw by romo anyhow
  3. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,666 Messages
    324 Likes Received
    That fake spike was almost 7 the other way.

Bad bad Romo !!!
  4. SPHawk

SPHawk Member

344 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The WR gave up because he thought it was going to be a spike too. If the throw was just a few inches higher it would have went over the defender and into the hands of??????? Was it Hurd?
  5. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,934 Messages
    1,315 Likes Received
    If he throws it to the back pilon its 7...but thats another story.

I dont know but I seem to remember Favre doing that a few times. Guess romo was just trying to be even more like him. :/
  6. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,588 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    He fooled 10 of their 11 defenders, too bad the only one that didn't get fooled was covering Hurd. If he puts more air under that ball we're talking about how this kid is the next Dan Marino.
  7. thekavorka

thekavorka New Member

1,769 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    the dan marino fake spike was classic.

i remember payton tried doing that couple years ago, but even the ref was fooled by the fake spike.
  8. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,457 Messages
    4,412 Likes Received
    If you listen to Parcells post game PC, that was not a designed play. One of those improvisational things that wasn't approved.

That seemed to be all on Romo.
  9. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,666 Messages
    324 Likes Received
    Shame on the Cardinals for falling for it ... almost.

If he threw the ball to the back pilone, we get 7.

But this play could have busted our back. We were up 10-3. If the CB intercepted, he would have gone all the way ... 10-10. Deflation sets in.
  10. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Question?????? Do we know who called the play? Yes it could have been disatrous but.....I liked the Buddy Ryan play.

OOPS!!! Thanks WG? LOL
  11. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

10,017 Messages
    712 Likes Received
    He could have took off running for the edge and walked in. Like you mentioned 10 Cardinals were standing around doing nothing.

Hey, if these are the worst decisions a guy in his 3d start is making, we are in good shape.
  12. ghosttown cowboy

ghosttown cowboy Wyoming's #1 boys fan

868 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    If he throws it to the back of the endzone it is a great play! I thought it was a smart play!
  13. pigskin fan

pigskin fan New Member

130 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't mind the play call, if it was actually a called play, but I can't believe that Romo didn't just throw it away. It this kind of stuff that's going to get him into trouble. If the DB bites and Hurd is wide open GREAT CALL, but when he doesn't Romo's got to throw it away.

The streetballer in him almost bit him in the .... on that play.
  14. Boyzmamacita

Boyzmamacita The Ultimate Cowbabe Zone Supporter

13,848 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    Placement of the ball had a lot to do with the potential INT. Accordring to Norm Hitzges, it was not a designed play call, but if Romo had thrown a better pass that only Hurd could catch, it would've been the highlight of the day on all the sports shows.
  15. TEK2000

TEK2000 New Member

2,152 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If Romo throws that to the back corner of the endzone instead of the front corner... that's 7 points COWBOYS!

It COULD have been a good idea but it was poorly executed. If you're gonna do that... throw it to TO not Hurd. Throw it to an experience reciever that will go up and fight for the ball.
  16. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,344 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Personally, I think that whole "fake spike" thing should be illegal. It's like the fumblerooski... gimmicky deception.
  17. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,809 Messages
    973 Likes Received
    I agree. Once the defense sees the QB start the motion of the spike, they basically stop. That could get someone injured. I am okay with a QB signalling to the team pre-snap that they will spike the ball, but instead comes out and throws it.
  18. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,168 Messages
    141 Likes Received

I loved it because he ALMOST pulled it off.......MOXIE!
  19. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Even though it was a dangerous pass...I LOVE the fact that we have a QB who has nerve enough to go against Parcells.

This is Phil Simms-esque.
  20. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,809 Messages
    973 Likes Received
    The last QB to do that got benched for it. Of course his insubordination resulted in a INT at the goal line. It was a good chance for Dallas to score, but he just made a bad pass.