1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Galloway for Keyshawn trade?

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Banned_n_austin, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Banned_n_austin

Banned_n_austin Benched

5,834 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    What are thoughts on this trade?

Personally, I think it was a great personnel move. We got a much better reciever in Keyshawn and Witten has emerged with him at WR.

He has a great relationship with Parcells. And fans in Dallas don't seem to give him a chance sometimes. But I think he's going to be a leader on this team. He's got that fire that Irvin had. He's spirited, smart and competitive.

He'll get you a lot more first downs than Galloway will. And he gives you a lot better option in the Redzone (Something the Cowboys needed). Of course, you don't get the speed of Galloway, but I'd make the trade again if it were up to me.
  2. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

23,295 Messages
    3,534 Likes Received
    Is this even a question?
  3. Banned_n_austin

Banned_n_austin Benched

5,834 Messages
    10 Likes Received

I believe it is a relevant one to some who prefer speed at WR ... but that's not the entire question either ...
  4. Alexander

23,295 Messages
    3,534 Likes Received
    Speed at WR is fine.

But if the player cannot get open, it is a waste of time. Galloway was not particularly good at getting his body in a good position. He could beat anyone with his speed, but that is not something that you can consistently do as a number one receiver.

He is and always has been best suited for a third WR on a normal team or a number two on a team that has a deep vertical passing game and a QB like Warren Moon who can lay it out for him.

He was not a fit for us under the WCO style we had nor would he have been a good fit for the offense we have run the last two seasons.

Johnson might be "slow", but I would take a possession type like him any day of the week.
  5. Waffle

Waffle Not Just For Breakfast Anymore

3,379 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I give it two thumbs up. Galloway can't even walk to the pantry without sustaining some sort of injury.
  6. Ashwynn

Ashwynn Well-Known Member

3,200 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    Gotta keep in mind the type of receiver Key is. Hes not a #1. Hes a solild possession receiver that will move the chains for you. he kinda reminds me of a Robert Horry type player. Can man his position well but does so many other little things that dont show up on the stat sheet or box scores. He blocks downfield away from the play, as well as at the play when hes not invovled. He coaches, chews out players after mess ups, he is a mentor as well as a player and we as a team can only get better the more the young uns are exposed to him.

I like the trade and the player.
  7. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,987 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Nice analogy.

And just as Horry would nail ya with a flurry of treys if you were stupid enough to leave him uncovered in the last few minutes, Key still has the ability to get downfield when you need him there. He's not just a jack-of-all trades grunt, he's still got his 'elite' markings that a D needs attending to.

That trade just made too much sense. We needed a possession receiver
    badly and Joey had become superfluous the day Terry was signed.
  8. Alexander

23,295 Messages
    3,534 Likes Received
    You think so?

I think it was still up to Glenn to show he still had it after he washed out in Green Bay when he first got here.

Maybe you did not need convincing, but I always thought he would be a third receiver behind Bryant and Galloway.

Shows how much I know.
  9. LaTunaNostra

14,987 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well, I'm wrong more often than right, Alexander.

But strictly as an NFL fan I didn't think for one second Terry couldn't beat out AB and Galloway.

One of the very first posts I put on the old board in July 03 was answering a "Galloway or Glenn" thread. :rolleyes:

Terry did have to beat both out; he wasn't handed anything by Bill. He came in as the third receiver and said this past year that was his focus all summer of 03 - that what he was worried about was getting on the field. A minor injury to AB perhaps made it a bit easier, but I'm sure once Payton and the offensive staff saw what he could do, it was a moot point.

I think the Green Bay experience was, inevitably, good for his game. I don't consider it a "wash out" there...he had a rough year in that he had a few concussions, was used quite a bit as a decoy, and two young much less pricey receivers were being groomed, but it was a totally new O for him and he had a lot to learn about a wco. If he hadn't had such a huge bonus due in March 03, Sherman would have hung onto him imo. And Walker and Driver had come on so fast.

When Terry got here in 03 he could do a whole lot more than when he arrived in Green Bay as primarily a great Z route runner. At least he diversified his game enough there to do a decent job of pretending to be a possession receiver.

Of course, he had "help" beating out AB and Joey..both were on the 03 drop leader board, and both's 'tudes sucked. They paved their own paths outta here.
  10. Banned_n_austin

Banned_n_austin Benched

5,834 Messages
    10 Likes Received

I totally agree. Galloway would make an outstanding 3rd reciever ... but most teams don't have that much talent on their teams at one position unless you look at Detroit.

And I agree on taking the trade ...

I wonder who instigated the trade though ... Bill or Jon?
  11. LaTunaNostra

14,987 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    My guess is Key.
  12. Banned_n_austin

Banned_n_austin Benched

5,834 Messages
    10 Likes Received

I felt like Green Bay did about him too ...

I was pleasantly surprsed ...
  13. Banned_n_austin

Banned_n_austin Benched

5,834 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    I thought Green Bay wasn't giving him a chance?

I had no idea he was as effective as he is ...

Terry Glenn is better than our old #1 WR, Galloway ... I still can't believe how stupid we were in trading 2 number ones for Galloway.
  14. Tio

Tio Armchair QB

5,108 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    It kinda gets evened out ever since we traded our most talented and imo best wr for morgan.
  15. Banned_n_austin

Banned_n_austin Benched

5,834 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    He showed flashes of talent, but he's inconsistant and drops too many easy ones. Not good.

... on the other hand, so does Quincy.
  16. Tio

Tio Armchair QB

5,108 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Well, he was at one point leading our team in recieving being our #3 option. He got open and was money on the jump ball. And he had some sort of eye surgery and the drops were dissapearing last season
  17. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,127 Messages
    2,734 Likes Received
    At the time it might be a stretch to call him our most talented WR. Obviously his head wasn't screwed on right and BP didn't like it. From the neck down he could have developed into one of our best and possibly at one time be considered our best WR on the roster.
  18. Banned_n_austin

Banned_n_austin Benched

5,834 Messages
    10 Likes Received

If he pulled his head out, he could be a good reciever. I like him too. He's young and he can change, but he's got that bad attitude that will hold him back if he keeps it up.

He'll never be anything but average.
  19. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,355 Messages
    1,337 Likes Received
    Yet another Jethro Tull thread.
  20. Banned_n_austin

Banned_n_austin Benched

5,834 Messages
    10 Likes Received

I don't get it.