1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Galloway for Keyshawn trade?

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Banned_n_austin, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Tio

Tio Armchair QB

5,112 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Ok im gonna stop now.
  2. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,987 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I was over the top with that post, Tio, intentionally so. :)

Funny, (or maybe not) but the debate after facing Mumbles and his crew is always about the key match up, and 99 times out of 100, "he" won it. You cannot face the NE defense with just one impact player - too easy for Belichick to take him out. Hopefully, the next time we face them, we have a lot more talent for Mumbles to scheme (and we already do).

As for AB, I sympathize with all his supporters. He wasn't a hired gun like Galloway, but a draftee. You want to develop your own talent, and it's hard to see a kid with potential released or traded.

I will say one thing in Tuna's favor tho, and that is from the start he wanted AB to succeed. You can tell when Parcells has it in for someone, and that was not the case with AB. Cripe, the way he dispatched a few Jets receivers had their heads spinning (and they were young and considered potential laden..a few even drafted by Tuna).

It's very very difficult for a young receiver to impress a coach to the point he will sit a still productive vet for him, especially if that young receiver is good, but has no extra special talent, ie. speed, or phenomenal hands to induce the coach to get him on the field at all costs. It's a position at which there is a lot to learn, and mistakes abound.

In summer 03 and again last summer, there were reports from both fans at camp (always to be taken with a grain of salt) and reporters that AB was looking good. But very few receivers could look better than Terry Glenn in practices; he is just capable of amazing desplays of athleticism and agility. Because I taught at the school where the Pats trained, I saw perhaps fifty odd practices from 96-2001. I can remember at least ten in which TG flat out stole the show. Or as one of the Dallas reporters (forget if it was Spags or Mosley) replied in a column last summer to the question of what kind of summer Terry Glenn was having, "he's just quietly caught just about everything thrown his way".

AB was upset about Key being handed a starting job, but in truth, his competition in both 04 and 03 was with Terry, who he got pretty tight with. Johnson was brought in to be the much needed possession receiver - no one was going to supplant him. Ironically, just a week after AB was traded, he would have had his chance to start after TG got hurt. And Tuna, I fully believe, would have let him "keep" the starting job had he done well. It's too bad he didn't have the patience just to bide his time a little more.

In addition, Bill is sincere when he says the concept of 1-2-3 receivers needs to go out the door. At one point last season, didn't Key, T. and AB all have within one reception of each other and almost exact yardage? AB was going to get on the field, but he just couldn't shut up.

I wish him well in Cleveland, tho I gave a feeling Mo Carthon is gonna ride him very very VERY hard.
  3. Banned_n_austin

Banned_n_austin Benched

5,834 Messages
    10 Likes Received

No you didn't. There is nothing amusing about it ... you're just being abrasive.

Or trying to be 'cute' for some reason ...

There really is nothing amusing about it - really.
  4. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    If y'all say so. Go figure. It was just a joke guys. Lighten up.
  5. Tio

Tio Armchair QB

5,112 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    :banghead:
  6. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,869 Messages
    3,341 Likes Received
    Can't we all just get along?
  7. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    As long as I don't joke around. ;)
  8. Banned_n_austin

Banned_n_austin Benched

5,834 Messages
    10 Likes Received

Peace.
  9. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,864 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Sorry, TG caught one meaningless pass, so you're right he wasn't shut out. BTW, wanting the "damn ball" is a Keyshawn thing, not a Galloway thing.

Off the playing field Galloway may not have been a vocal leader or mentor. Heck he even tried to lend some guidance to AB, but couldn't get through to that thick-headed dope. He even joked about that. He has always been a classy, company guy and doesn't get in trouble like Glenn or flap his mouth like Key. In fact, the closest he ever came was a party he hosted that got out of control-- for which he publicly apologized for to the Dallas Cowboys and their fans.

Galloway's never been benched like Belichek did with TG (denying him a ring) or Gruden did to Keyshawn (not letting him near the pther players). In case you hadn't noticed, those two coaches have won every Superbowl since 2001, so I'll defer to their actual actions over rumors you may have heard about but can't post a link to.

Gruden was so "disappointed" in Galloway, that he re-signed him to a 5 year deal and talked him up to fans, claiming how his very presence is clearing out zones. Yeah, that's the behavior of a coach who thinks a player sucks.

As for willingness to do dirty work-- Galloway learned to block better as a Cowboy, played special teams, and also played with a broken hand for weeks. Before the NE game he pulled his quad in practice and tried to get back but couldn't run. Heck, maybe that's the biggest reason why he's gone, but it's contradictory to say he sucks but also say that BP was hoping to get him on the field. Why would BP play him-- heck, START him, if he truly sucked?

And please don't talk about having to adjust to bad QB's-- Joey has had to adjust to Rick Mirer, Jack Friesz, a young John Kitna, Anthony Wright, Clint Stoerner, Ryan Leaf, Quincy Carter-- and thankfully the great Warren Moon who showed what Joey was capable of.

Terry Glenn has had Drew Bledsoe, Brett Favre, Quincy Carter, and Vinnie. Sorry, but that's a good draw. Yes, Terry played the middle of the field and that's the only place QC could throw the ball (except on a crossing route).
  10. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'll be darned. We'll I'm certainly wrong on this one. Not only wrong, but WRONG with capital letters. :laugh2:

The details of the situation made it seem like it was two separate transactions, and it always came across like that Key's arrival was inevitable (regardless of Joey's trade to TB). But yeah, I'm big-time wrong here.
  11. LaTunaNostra

14,987 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Some "company guy" -- I think I recall an infamous hold-out in Seattle. As far as guidance to AB...why wasn't he the one assigned the thankless task of teaching him to read defenses, then? There's a big difference in patting a team-mate on the shoulder, and actually mentoring him. and not just in man-hours. In virtual leadership.

I know why both T and Key were 'benched'. Key had a personality issue with Gruden, and Terry at that time was both screwed up and caught in the Kraft-Belichick "take back the money" efforts. There are ten thousand stories we could both link to, pro and con, but what matters now is both have been the epitome of good citizens here. Galloway got in trouble when in Dallas..Terry certainly hasn't.

Let's see how Gruden talks up Mr. 33 receptions this summer. Let's see if he even starts. Visit a Bucs message board and ask the fanbase how happy they are with Mr Galloway. :rolleyes:

Sure BP wanted to play him...he did somewhat fit that decoy role you mentioned.

I'm not the one using young or less than franchise quality QBs as an excuse. You've got to take the bad with the good in this league. The good receivers help make the inadequate QBs..as Keyshawn did with Ray Lucas.

And my feeling will continue to be it should have been GALLOWASTE going over that middle, not the player coming off concussions. There is a reason or reasons why Bill washed his hands of Joey...and that was there was a basic duplication of skills with Glenn and Galloway, but Glenn has done more to diversify his game.

Joey has speed, good for him..but speed decreases with age. Let's see if he even starts in Tampa this year.
  12. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,864 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Fair enough, LaTunaNostra. I believe Joey got a bum rap while here, and we'll have to see what happens in Tampa.

Regardless, I look forward to rooting hard with you for TG this year. We really, really need him.
  13. LaTunaNostra

14,987 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    LOL. Yeah, I don't why I continue to trash poor Joey. Prolly because I wanted to in 03 but held my tongue. :laugh2:

We both seem to have a thing for career underachievers. :)

We shall be rooting hard together, ravi...and no excuses, no injuries, and no more chances after this year....if my boy can't make the grade for whatever reason, play a kid. And I mean that.

Time to PRODUCE!!!!
  14. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,288 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    Well, I think the scenario you laid out was one that was entirely possible and one that I am sure many thought would happen. I think you are right, Key's arrival was inevitable though.
  15. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,043 Messages
    3,279 Likes Received

I've always liked the old areosmith song/line Same old Story same on Song and Dance.

And on occasion when people start letting a debate get so out of whack that they use really silly things to support their stance I think of the line in the aerosmith song Don't get mad get even...

when you talk to me in circles take your foot out of your mouth

<disclaimer> This comment was just to hostile and if anyone gets "angry" about it then please ignore because I was not talking to you or about you....also kleenex can be bought at a discount at wal-mart if needed. :D </disclaimer>
  16. LaTunaNostra

14,987 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If it's silly things to support a stance you want to see, BP, well Galloway doesn't.....

...look like...

[IMG]

;)
  17. BrAinPaiNt

60,043 Messages
    3,279 Likes Received

I have to be honest.....when healthy Glenn has impressed the heck out of me.

Got to see him play many times while at ohio state and when Eddie won ROY awards I thought Glenn had just as good of a shot to win that award as eddie.

I have no problems with glenn and what he has brought to the cowboys except for his inability to play a full season due to injuries.

The galloway trade was a waste from the get go and he, prior to the trade, had only made ONE pro-bowl and that was as an alternate and I still can not get past the idea of giving up 2 first round picks for a player that only made one pro-bowl as an alternate.

There was almost no way he could have lived up to that 2 first round trade situation....problem is he never even came close enough to even make a decent argument about it either.
  18. LaTunaNostra

14,987 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Geez, and there I was giving you another opening to call us pervs....

Love ya, BP. :)

Later!
  19. BrAinPaiNt

60,043 Messages
    3,279 Likes Received

I used to have fun with you concerning TG....but the kid has some serious skills when healthy and if we could keep him healthy he could really help the team.

His hands are just flat out amazing and some of his catches are things of beauty.
  20. Banned_n_austin

Banned_n_austin Benched

5,834 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    This stuff is hilarious ... it's the offseason. Everything is the same old song and dance ...

... But like Tio said, this is actually the perfect time to talk about it ... after we see what both players have done.

<disclaimer>This comment was to the over 10,000 post club ... the club that always posts about recent transactions, current news .... and speculation. </disclaimer>