1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Garrett System

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Blitzen32, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Blitzen32

Blitzen32 Member

205 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Simmons was discussing head coaching failures the other day, and he really hit the nail on the head here:

There are two types of coaches …

1. A coach who looks at his players and says, "How can I put these guys in the best position for them to succeed?"

2. A coach who looks at his players and says, "How can I use these guys to make my system succeed?"

Now, think about the mind-set driving Coach No. 2: He's basically saying, I'm here only because of my system. I can't actually coach. If you give me the wrong players for my system, it doesn't matter — I will keep using the system anyway, because Plan B would be coming up with a more inventive way to coach these guys. And I can't do that. I'm not good enough. So if it's OK with you, I'd like to go down in flames with my system.
  2. Blitzen32

Blitzen32 Member

205 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Jim Harbaugh is a great example of #1 here.

He came in after Garrett and completely turned a team around by working with guys like Alex Smith. Extremely impressive.

McCoy and Fox in Denver are another great example. Most people expect Tebow to be in the CFL within 2-3 seasons, but those coaches actually won a playoff game with him.

Garrett is a great example of #2. He was brought in as some "offensive genius". That screams "SYSTEM COACH" immediately. This is why most fans who lack depth with their thoughts continue to clamor for roster turnover and getting Garrett all the right pieces to succeed.

Coaches who don't know what they're doing need to have superstars in order to look decent. Sometimes, even with superstars, they'll still fail (google: Lakers, LA). There's a reason why many great coaches can do more with much less.
  3. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,668 Messages
    666 Likes Received
    Parcells, Walsh, Noll, Landry, Reid, Holmgren, Kiffin, Jim Johnson (Eagles DC). Those guys all did pretty well with a system that they put players into, as opposed to the other way around. I mean, every coach has a system. Yeah, some are more adaptable than others, and some (like Harbaugh and Shanahan), had success adapting their system to fit their QB, but most of the successful coaches are the ones who can get the right players to fit their system.

Honestly, I could really care less what Simmons thinks.
  4. Primetime42

Primetime42 Well-Known Member

2,766 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    Harbaugh is running the same exact system he's always run.
  5. Blitzen32

Blitzen32 Member

205 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    You think most of those guys didn't work their system around the talents of their players? Parcells left Dallas with a list of things Romo needed to do in order to be a great QB. He knew Romo better than Romo knew himself. Romo likely learned more from that list than he has in the last 6 years under coaches who were terrible pro QBs.

Either way, Harbaugh, Fox, Carroll, and Shanny have shown what it takes to do well in TODAY'S league. These guys have experience and understand players very well.

As you said, Harbaugh and Shanny in particular have worked to the talents and strengths of their roster, and it has paid dividends thus far. It's really what it takes in the current salary cap era. Coaches who can work with what they have are more important than ever.
  6. Blitzen32

Blitzen32 Member

205 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Alex Smith didn't go from one of the biggest draft busts ever, to one of the top rated passers in the league just due to magic and prayer.
  7. BHendri5

BHendri5 Well-Known Member

3,183 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    You are one of those people that lacks depth, if you cannot see that the OL needs fixing you're blind.
  8. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,677 Messages
    2,410 Likes Received
    What... Never saw Luck running the read option at Stanford like Kaepernick does.

Which speaking of the OP's point... Supposedly we liked Kaepernick in that draft. Anyone think we'd have let him do what he's doing in SF now?

No way. He'd be turned into another Troy clone. With probably lousy results.
  9. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,878 Messages
    4,695 Likes Received
    I think we do a pretty good job of developing players. It's not reasonable to expect we'd be doing what Harbaugh does, but I think he'd be a fine player for us if we'd drafted him. What makes you think he wouldn't be?
  10. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,677 Messages
    2,410 Likes Received
    Because his running is obviously what makes him unique. Take away that and make him just a pocket passer and he's nowhere near the same threat.
  11. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,084 Messages
    1,459 Likes Received
    Harbaugh was given a loaded roster. That might have just a little to do with his success.
  12. Blitzen32

Blitzen32 Member

205 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Hmm.

Didn't Garrett induce the change process on that line in the first place?

A guy like Davis is now contributing well for a Super Bowl team.

Maybe it wasn't such a great idea to roll with guys like Phil Costa despite what Garrett had tried to convince the fans.
  13. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,720 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    Last offseason there was a quote from Garrett, something like "we finally have the players in place to make [my] system work."

Yikes.
  14. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,878 Messages
    4,695 Likes Received
    Ah. If we're just talking about running, I can't imagine that any coach wouldn't allow him to run. That's something that's going to show up every time he takes the field. That'd be like not expecting Dez to win a jump ball in the end zone.
  15. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,390 Messages
    6,394 Likes Received
    I agree.

Garrett should have adjusted his system to having no NFL talent at 4 of the 5 OL positions.

The guy just isn't flexible enough.
  16. Blitzen32

Blitzen32 Member

205 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    6-10 = loaded roster

...when we're revising history
  17. Blitzen32

Blitzen32 Member

205 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Yikes indeed.

Great point though.
  18. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,231 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    You do realize that Leonard Davis is playing as a backup TE when SF uses heavy run formations right?

There is another Davis, Anthony Davis, that is a starter is not to be confused with "Bigg".

Lets not get carried away with Davis is doing well on a Super Bowl team comments when he's playing single digit snaps in the games.
  19. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,231 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    Can you provide proof he said this?
  20. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,265 Messages
    656 Likes Received
    The very bad Bigg Davis is light years better than anything we have at guard right now.